Carver Amps on Klipschs

Yobear42

On 7/13/2022 at 6:38 AM, jjptkd said:

Are you running a multi-channel system or just 2-channel? I'd look at the new Carver Black Magic 25 if you just need 2 channels for your La Scala's or even the older original Black Magic VTA-20 both are an improvement over Sunfire IMO but the smaller 20 will run out of gas in larger rooms or at high volumes. 

It’s a multi-purpose system, mainly music which is 2.1, La Scalas, with a Table Tuba Subwoofer; Movies, TV & Gaming is 5.1.2 with the La Scalas, three Heresys, the TT Sub, and RB-61iis for presence/height speakers. Currently the Yamaha RXA-1070 is running the Heresys and RB61IIs.
I honestly had no idea that Carver still existed.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, M_Klipsches said:

I honestly had no idea that Carver still existed.

I just bought one of his newly released Black Magic 25's great sounding amp easily bested my Sunfire 200x7 right out of the box.

BM25re.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 1:58 PM, LTusler said:

I just used Scott to repair a Carver TFM-6CB and a Carver TFM-35 and a Sunfire 2 Channel for me.  He is local to me so  its was great to find him.  Very reasonable pricing.

http://www.pro-audioservice.com/

Thank you for the recommendation. As my collection of vintage Carver stuff seems to be growing, it’s good to know there are options. 

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Why ??

There are much better electronics available

Carver was made to a price point ..

Isn't everything? Carver is still very good at their price points new and used I'd much rather have an old Carver than some of the new stuff out today at comparable prices. 

• Like 1

I completely understand that my only point was that there is other used gear that may offer better resolution

Carver was built to a price point

I worked in a recording studio many years, so I listen a bit differently for things ....  like the decay of a bell for example

I am NOT a " critical listener"

It's all about the vibe for me. 🙂

On 7/19/2022 at 6:16 PM, the real Duke Spinner said:

Why ??

There are much better electronics available

Carver was made to a price point ..

Most of the Carver stuff I’ve heard sound damn good to my aging ears. The Sunfire certainly does. I’m sure there is better gear out there, but you said it yourself “price point”. The very same reason I drive a five year old Volvo wagon, and not a Porsche Panamera Sport GTS, a better car by most any measure.
I’ve little doubt that a rack of McIntosh amps, would sound great, but that pesky, “price point”. So there’s the “Why”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Carver is missing Detail   .that's what makes Amplifiers interesting

Have you heard Sunfire amps or the newer Carver tubes? Significantly better than most of the older Carver stuff IMO. 

• Like 1

I use a highly updated & upgraded Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 (long name, I know) which I've owned for 15 years now and has been upgraded for 10.  It has stayed where others including a $2,500 Onkyo reference amp, rebuilt Mcintosh MC250, MA230,  & MC5100 amps, and others, have not stayed.  I have never thought the Carver was missing "detail" nor has anyone else that's heard it.  It's been ran on many, many speakers, too.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, avguytx said:

I use a highly updated & upgraded Carver M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 (long name, I know) which I've owned for 15 years now and has been upgraded for 10.  It has stayed where others including a $2,500 Onkyo reference amp, rebuilt Mcintosh MC250, MA230,  & MC5100 amps, and others, have not stayed.  I have never thought the Carver was missing "detail" nor has anyone else that's heard it.  It's been ran on many, many speakers, too.

My M-1.0t doesn’t sound bad, at all and I’d not though of it as lacking “detail”. I described it as “thin”, perhaps just semantics? Maybe it’s just not suited to the La Scalas? I’ve got an integrated tube amp that sounds great with Heresys, it’s my two channel, vinyl system. It reminds me of the way we used to hear most music. Hook it up to theLa Scalas, and it’s, meh, ok. 
I will have a few months to listen to it, as my Sunfire likely won’t be back until January. Maybe I’ll look into upgrading the M-1.0t after that. 

• Like 2

I recently purchased my second set of Khorns from a vintage audio collector. As part of the deal, I agreed to his asking price (which I felt was reasonable for this mint Khorn set) if we could do an A/B comparison of the Khorns being driven by my Carver M4.0t and M1.0t, and his absolutely pristine McIntosh 240's, 270's and Marantz Model 2 and 7's. I have never seen this type of gear in person, let alone all in one place! All of these are fairly rare tube amps which I estimate range in cost from about $5 to $15K each. The preamp used was his vintage tube Marantz Stereo Console, I don't remember the model (gold face plate).

To make a long story short, neither he nor I could really hear any difference ... and perhaps any exceptionally minor difference that could be heard didn't indicate one was better sounding than another. It's all personal preference. It was generous of him to agree to put his uber expensive gear to the test against my run of the mill consumer grade amp (although he may have been hoping for another sale).

I will keep my amps and my inexpensive but good quality wire too :)

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Quad Khorns said:

I recently purchased my second set of Khorns from a vintage audio collector. As part of the deal, I agreed to his asking price (which I felt was reasonable for this mint Khorn set) if we could do an A/B comparison of the Khorns being driven by my Carver M4.0t and M1.0t, and his absolutely pristine McIntosh 240's, 270's and Marantz Model 2 and 7's. I have never seen this type of gear in person, let alone all in one place! All of these are fairly rare tube amps which I estimate range in cost from about $5 to $15K each. The preamp used was his vintage tube Marantz Stereo Console, I don't remember the model (gold face plate).

To make a long story short, neither he nor I could really hear any difference ... and perhaps any exceptionally minor difference that could be heard didn't indicate one was better sounding than another. It's all personal preference. It was generous of him to agree to put his uber expensive gear to the test against my run of the mill consumer grade amp (although he may have been hoping for another sale).

Nice! Congratulations on the second set of Klipschorns. Are you running them all in the same system? Either way well done. It’s good to hear from someone who’s fortunate enough to have compared the Carver gear head to head, in the same room, on the same speakers, with some high end McIntosh amps. I’m happy to hear that gear similar to mine holds it’s own, as I figure I’m just about all in with my “music room” set up. At least barring an affordable pair of KHorns showing up on my radar (or lottery winnings). 

The second set is in a separate system and room from the original set; this room has ideal dimensions and corners/walls for Khorns, so I was on a quest to obtain a mint second set.  These have AK-4 crossovers that can be bi-amped, so I will be running two Carver M4.0t's and bi-amping them.  The reason for bi-amping is mainly to eliminate exposed wiring. The amps will be on top the K horns and I will be using a wireless transmitter and two receivers, one for each speaker/amp. I have tested this concept and it works very nicely thus far. I just obtained the second M4.0t and will be inserting it into the system soon, replacing the M1.0t. BTW there is no difference heard between the M4.0t/M1.0t speaker combo's, other than I had to boost the output of the M1.0t a little to match the M4.0t output.

My original Khorn set is part of a 32 amp channel, stereo setup system along with custom built JBL's (4 ways) and an Altec A5/A7 modded set (3 ways), along with a 10 subwoofer array. Each channel drives one motor in these speakers, plus the 10 subs. It's all DSP controlled (time aligned, active crossover, and equalization) and setup using REW. Very complicated but it is very impressive IMHO. But I must say how much I enjoy listening to just the two simple Khorn setup

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

Nice! Congratulations on the second set of Klipschorns. All in the same system? Either way well done. It’s good to hear from someone who’s fortunate enough to have compared the Carver gear head to head, in the same room, on the same speakers, with some high end McIntosh amps. I

4 hours ago, Quad Khorns said:

BTW I am in Charleston

Well what d’ ya know? It is indeed, a small world.