Thebes, you were wrong. THIS is what we pay the big bucks for... (VERY long)

Mallette

A funny happened on the way to IKEA. I had a transcendent musical experience and discovered a place of music equal to any cathedral on the planet hidden under a bushel. The PAW and I had several joint and separate missions yesterday, and after spending the morning on them were headed to IKEA on the west side of downtown Houston so she could get a quote on her kitchen setup for the new HourKids facility she will open in January. Our route took us from Texas Children's Hospital and north on Sage Road. There are many great and established churches there and I was spending my time guessing (100%, except for the Unitarians edifice which stumped me. I did not attempt to guess as the architecture was, well, Unitarian) when on my side of the car an enormous gothic edifice loomed into view with towers reaching several hundred feet into the sky. I exclaimed, "Good Lord, that looks like one of ours but NO WAY it can be THAT big!" As we neared the front a large monument sign read "St. Martin's Episcopal Church." "I MUST have a look at that" I said and the PAW pulled into a parking spot near an outbuilding of the front.

It did not take long to locate a friendly and helpful church lady who directed us to a door she thought might be open. It was near the front of the nave and as I swung the heavy door open almost effortlessly and totally noiselessly the vastness of this building revealed itself. Saints, prophets, angels, and our Lord greeted me in a myriad of brilliant colors of stained glass in endless procession. In awe, I pass slowly to a pew near the front as my eyes panned this unbelievable sight slowly, As my view crossed the alter I saw an immense pipe organ soaring some 60 feet towards the vaulting capped by a rose window that is an entire story in itself. I hear voices and as I moved down the pipes saw a brass ensemble at rest and listening to the words of the organist (as I found out later) David Hennings. The PAW and I sat there for a few minutes drinking it in and she finally said "You think maybe I should go on to IKEA and leave you here?" I suppress a "yuh THINK!" and muttered something like "That might be a good idea, sweetheart." and she headed off.

I thought perhaps it was just a brass rehearsal, as I did not hear the blowers going that would indicate a ready organ. A few more minutes of soft voices from behind the choir screen then silence. I looked up and saw horns at the ready. Suddenly, the heavens opened and Gabriel sounded, along with a heavenly backup band not mentioned in Revelation. The voice of God spoke...then I realized it was Eugene Gigout's "Grand Chorus in Dialogue" and I was still in Houston. In less than 60 seconds my eyes were filled with tears as the organ reached out and enveloped me and all the saints around me. The brass pierced the atmosphere and danced among the soaring arches, leaving this annex of heaven on earth only reluctantly and obviously straining to remain until the last reverberation could no longer sustain itself. I wondered how long I could tolerate this. Eternity came to mind, but I knew it would probably be sooner. However, they weren't through with me yet.

After another brief discussion, just about long enough for me to regroup and control myself, and they hit me again with a thunderous broadside of Widor "Lord, Save thy People." First heard in Notre Dame Cathedral 7 days after the guns of World War 1 fell silent I was transported through time and space to feel the catharsis that must have swept through the city of Paris as it finally sunk in that deliverance that truly come. More tears. I was ready to surrender, but Hennings insisted on a coup de grace. More Widor, this time the venerable "Toccata" from the 5th symphony. I have a marvelous Crystal Clear release of Richard Morris and the Atlanta Brass playing the David McKay Williams arrangement of this piece and it is moving. This was a different brass arrangement, and even more....well, MORE! How much joy can a person withstand?

So, they cut me some slack. Not a lot, mind you, but a bit. Next was a few standard Anglican hymns, though arranged and played they became anything but "standard" and I found myself singing uncontrollably along. Not to worry, as my puny voice could not have been heard 10 feet away in that rich ocean of swirling sound.

There is much more, but this is already getting ridiculously long and your patience is undoubtedly straining as you wonder "So, what's in it for me?" Bear with me as I transition...

I gave organist David Hennings the bum's rush the moment they broke up and muttered incomprehensibly to him about recording, heaven. My GOD!, etc,. and he said could I wait a minute he had to talk to this guy... I followed him around at a respectful distance like a well-disciplined puppy as I awaited my turn. Finally, at the back of the church he turned to me. I entered a pew and made a motion for him to sit. He looked at me and said "I have no time, talk!" When I got to "recording" he abruptly cut me off and said "we have all that covered and there is nothing you can do for us." I only got barely a moment of attention from him as I blurted something about "I am sure you do but I have never heard a space like this recorded properly and have a way to do it." However, I'd guess this at about 300 milliseconds and he turned and walked away and returned to his command seamlessly.

OK, that all sounds pretty rude, though perhaps in the finest tradition of the stereotypical Episcopal "frozen chosen" mode. I was still in such eustress that I did not take it as an insult. Within a few minutes I was able to gather that they were preparing for the consecration of a bishop, something taken so seriously by Anglicans that if the Rector were personally informed by Gabriel that Jesus was to return on Saturday he'd almost certainly respond "No way, Lord. We're consecrating a bishop Saturday...can you make it Sunday after the 11:15 service?"

Not surprising in such circumstances Maestro Hennings had little patience for what probably appeared to him as a crazed old veteran wearing a Vietnam War T-shirt and jeans and mumbling incoherently about recording.

So, I found myself at the parish book shop, an Anglican institution almost as important as donuts after mass. There was a nice looking lady behind the counter and I wandered in and asked if they were open.

"No," says church lady, "we are not, sir, we are balancing the accounts."

It sounded as though I'd had another flashback and was speaking to a hurried angel toiling over the Lamb's Book of Life...but by now, I was used to scurrying seraphim and pressed a bit.
"Do you mind if I look around?"

She smiled sweetly and said "I don't see why not" and returned to her labors.

I found some nice looking CD’s and was examining one when the lady says

“You should look at this one. George just brought them in a few minutes ago and he is so excited.”

She was holding a CD slipcase a bit over an inch thick. I took it and against the black was the great rose window of the Apostles that is high over the organ. It was beautiful. I flipped it over and started to read the back.

“During the many years in which I have been the host and producer of the nationally syndicate program With Heart and Voice, I have played many, many recordings of national church choirs, but none better than the choir of St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Houston, Texas.” There was more, signed by Richard Gladwell, Host and Producer of NPR’s With Heart and Voice.

Now, I was really focused. I’d heard that program many, many times and the recordings and performances were spectacular and Gladwell is about as fine a recommendation as one can get technically and artistically. So, next question:

“Mam, I hate to be a bother, and I know you are closed and busy, but is there some way I could purchase this?”

“Oh, no bother. George will be SOOO pleased! It’s the first one we’ve sold!”

70.00 later and a few minutes waiting out front for the PAW, I’m on my way home regaling her with tales of the great holy place.

Brief paragraph for info on the organ. It is Schoenstein Opus 145. 80 ranks, 68 stops and around 4500 pipes. Schoenstein, in addition to having a grand tradition of thier own, have also become something of a torchbearer for the Aeolian-Skinner tradition. While I have not been able to find a stop list for this instrument (Memo to St. Martins: Not optional. Should be on your website) I can attest from hearing a bit of it that the range of color is vast. Schoenstein has a couple of organ technologies of their own that, in my opinion, are actually of value and would have been employed by Silbermann if he have known of them. Thier "Expansion Cell" system ensures that the relative volumes of speaking pipes do not change when more are brought on line or taken off line. This is an issue when multiple ranks are fed from a common air supply. The other is a swell box with two sets of shutters, one about half way back in the box and the other, of course, in front. Once mastered, this arrangement provides another set of colors in the organists palette.

Each
of the 4 CD’s covers a different repertoire; from pure a cappella choir
to full choir(s), organ, and orchestra, including the fine St. Olaf’s
Orchestra.

I started simple with the mainly hymns and choral “Send out Thy Holy Spirit” disc. First cut, “Amazing Grace.” Starts with a solo flute, first straightforward melody that slowly picks up a bit of a jazz ornamentation. That little flute in fills that great space with an every bit as much presence as a 32” organ pipe. The choir…O, the CHOIR. Perfect balance with space, flute, and voices reaching out directly to the heart and soul.

There is no way I can take the space to deal with each and every piece, so I am going to try to hit a few highlights and sum up before this becomes a book.

The great Sacred Harp hymn “Come thou Fount of Every Blessing” is given a minor key treatment here in arrangement by George Ellis Mims. This man, of whom I’d never heard before this day, is a giant of music. He enters into the realm of arranging what is a near perfect composition in the original, takes it to the opposite extreme from fasola to minor key, and it is stunningly beautiful.

One other on the “Send Out…” disc, “Shall we gather at the river?” This is pretty much my family anthem, as both sides of my family are of country stock, Texas cowboys on my dad’s side and Arkansas hillfolk on mom’s. My family has been gathering at the Cossatot River in Arkansas for nearly a 100 years and I have celebrated Holy Communion by that crystal flow with the PAW and my children. What a strange hymn to see on a disc from a high holy Anglican church! This is another of Mim’s arrangements, though he’s done no major surprises here and the hymn comes across with a monumental wistfulness that sent chills down my spine and brought forth 50 years of memories of saints long asleep. Aunt Becky would have loved it.

The CD “Alleluia, He is Coming” consists of 4 movements from the ethereal Faure Requiem, the title piece “Alleluia, He is Coming” whose name may not ring bells but you know it when you hear it, and, oddly two movements form the Tchaikovsky 6th symphony. I say “oddly” as it’s hard to figure why one wants to disembowel a symphony, and while the recording and performance are magnificent (more on technical below) the Adagio - Allegro non troppo is more than a bit too non troppo for my taste. I’d have been far more satisfied to have the entire Faure.

That was my feeble attempt to avoid saying this entire monumental set is absolutely perfect.

The “Alleluia, He is Coming” is another Mims arrangement showcasing this enormous talent and his uncanny ability to, without materially altering these great scores, adapt them to mate perfectly with the sonic resources at his command the acoustics of the great church.

The CD “Abide with Me” contains hymns more specifically of the Anglican tradition and they are uniformly sumptuous and nurturing to the mind, body, and spirit. Last cut is “God of our Fathers” and you are left with no doubts.

Finally, the CD “Sing Ye to the Lord” draws on established composers and great pieces. Randall Thompson is a particular favorite of mine and his “The Last Words of David” open the disc. This piece should be played at Obama’s inauguration to remind all of who is watching just how a ruler should act.

There is Mendelssohn, Benjamin Britten, Papa Jo Haydn, and a solitary Bach. Can you imagine 4 CD’s of church music and ONE piece by Bach? Given the “tour de force” nature of this look at the spectrum of tradition, ecclesiastical tradition it is enough. I’d like to discuss each and every piece, but I hope that by now you realize I was more than a little moved and I am no musicologist and have never played one on TV, so let’s get on to something of which I can speak with at least a modicum of authority. Let’s talk technical.

Perfection.

There, I said it. David Hennings spoke with authority when he said “We have that covered.” He was right. For stereo I’d have absolutely nothing to offer these people. Now, get this: Not a single credit for engineer or outside source of expertise. Whole thing appears to be home brew by parishioners.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it high priests of audio doubletalk and high tech wire.

These recordings are not just good; they are “No way, unbelievable, our lady of tonal purity is with us. Glory Hallelujah!” good.

Get this: better than vinyl good.

While I have no way of knowing the mike plans or recording techniques employed, I can tell you that phase relationships are perfect. I played these back through Dolby ProLogic II and the information routed to the rear speakers marvelously and seamlessly expanded the sound stage to give at least an approximation of the vast space 4 second or so decay of that great church. These parishioners put the vast majority of professional recording engineers to shame. Their mikes are placed at the precise crossover point where the direct sound of the instrument is equal to the return. How many times have I heard one say "We need another mike on that piano, it sounds too distant." Okies, just how many folks will be sitting 6 feet from the piano, O Master?. For every instrument or combination of forces these folks have it cold. Another point about that is the music direction and organist both have total mastery of that space and how to pace and space to ensure that listener is able to savor each and every tone to its last vibration.

Atheists: Get one of these sets. No, it’s not likely to cause you to rush to the kitchen to baptize yourself but it may cause you to be glad all these superstitious fools exist since this experience would be denied if we had all gone your way.

For the rest of you, you need to hear this even if this type of thing is not your bag. It is a system test, not just of big bass and massive organ, but of the finest nuance of piano, wind, string and voice.

So, while I think it is going to take a while to worm my way in there, but this is the acid test for SoundCube. It’s all I have that they don’t and this is the place it was designed to capture. Wish me luck.

Highly recommended. Very highly recommended. Sir? Yes, Sir! Also recommended by God.

How to get one? Not easy. This set needs to be in the Gothic catalog, but since there are no outside labels involved you can only get it through the bookstore. Pick up the phone, give them a call: http://www.stmartinsepiscopal.org/gift.php.

You’ll be glad you did.

Dave

post-9494-13819427013602_thumb.jpg

Ah Dave, leave it to you to enervate and elevate the conversation from the merely sublime to the exalted. The rhapsodies of a well executed temple to those otherworldly aspects of our collective yearning. Faith, thoughts, philosophies, superstitions, divine instruction, schism, revelation lifted up to in supplication as a yearning, a nameless offering stating that we cqn be better, we can expand upon our baser natures.

Since the mists of time, people have gathered to celebrate, beseech, quail before, commune with, partake of, the spiritual side of our nature. Always, as the great religions waxed and waned, they erected edifices to gather in. There are two universal commonalities in all religions, faiths, beliefs; a gathering place and music. From tribal chants, to the renaissance choirs,; the sound of the spinning of a prayer wheel, to the chants of Bhuddist monks, we have touched that common chord.

But we need a place to do all this stuff and so we build an amazing and ever varied collection of structure all, for better or worse, to exalt our visions and raise our voices..

In recent centuries we raised monstrous edifices, at impossible expense and far to often they intimidate, are cold and at odds with what claim to believe. Ah, but when they get it right, oh when they get it right.

I've been in many of the most famous religious places ever built, but to me the best of them all was in a place called Oswego, New York where I went to college. A normal sized parish church built a century or so ago by German Catholics. A veritable forest of mid-toned wood, all hand carved by imported craftsman . A soaring altar space that somehow did not overwhelm. It had, still has, an intimacy and wonderment about it that is hard to describe. And, by the way...it had this huge pipe organ, with shiny brass pipes, imported from, I presume, Barvaria, that put out pure magic.

I wish you joy of your newfound temple of music. In your honor I split the seal on a piece of wax by this fellow named Bach .

Dead on, Larry. I've not seen that on their site and I've been there several times today.

Thebes, I can tell you've been there. My poor efforts do this place such injustice.

I am going to edit that to unclude some pix I pulled off their site. Gimme a few...

Dave

PS - I have that Hurford, Thebes. Good choice.

Excellent write up Dave and Thebes also.

Wish I'd have read it online as it was one humongo paragraph in my email. Very inspiring. I think I will have to get this recording someday. If it's moved you that much it's got to be something special.

Thanks for posting.

Ben

Thebes, leave it to you to raise the level of conversation from the exalted to the objective...

You are entirely correct. I have felt the presence in houses of worship of all shapes, sizes and approaches to the Almighty from small temples in the Golden Triangle, small wooden structures in the hills of Arkansas, and in vast cathedrals. I have also been in such places vast and small where I felt little or nothing.

This is one of the former. It is only 4 years old and, man, did they get it right. About as close as I can come is "modern Gothic" in the sense that the materials are largely modern and the increbible intricacies found in so many of the older or modern attempts to duplicate that style are missing. The plainness of the walls lead the eyes to concentrate on the great windows, the alter, and the organ. You gotta be there...

I can relate to your Oswego church. In Texas, we have a large German concentration in the hill country. The painted wooden churches there are hard to believe when you see one rising in the vastness of the rolling hills, and delight with warmth and faith when you enter the brightly painted interiors that often have the feel of being enveloped in quilts.

Yessir, regardless of one's persuasion or lack thereof it is a pity to miss these monuments to our better side.

Dave

[;)]

Sounds like a wonderful experience, Dave. Some of my favorite musical experiences were while singing in the Methodist Church choir, back in the 70's.

A possibility: Maybe you could offer the church a video component? It's a beautiful space...

Ah Dave, Richard Morris is the organist at my church in Atlanta. He hates the organ, a Lowery electric. We are a small church of Traditionalists. But I digress a bit.

Why did we Catholics let the music slip away with Vatican II? I feel so bummed... If we could still do that king of music would you come home? [:#]

Thanks for the post. Reading any of your posts, whether long or short, is always a delight.

Bruce

Ah Dave, Richard Morris is the organist at my church in Atlanta. He hates the organ, a Lowery electric. We are a small church of Traditionalists. But I digress a bit.

Why did we Catholics let the music slip away with Vatican II? I feel so bummed... If we could still do that king of music would you come home? Zip it!

Thanks for the post. Reading any of your posts, whether long or short, is always a delight.

Bruce

Lord, how the mighty have fallen. Is he retired and it is his parish church? I suppose I could understand that, but it is hard to imagine a parish allowing a great talent like him to suffer at the hands of a synthetic organ. They use plastic flowers on the alter as well?

>... If we could still do that king of music would you come home? Zip it!

Yessir. But there are a couple of things I need to get straight with His Holiness before I can do that. Not appropriate to discuss in this venue.

There is still plenty of great music in the Roman church. I'd love to worship in a high Tridentine mass.

Dave

Lord, how the mighty have fallen. Is he retired and it is his parish church? I suppose I could understand that, but it is hard to imagine a parish allowing a great talent like him to suffer at the hands of a synthetic organ. They use plastic flowers on the alter as well?

He was organist at an Episcopal Church in Atlanta, and couldn't wait to be on vacation to be at our church, where he is a member. He is our regular organist, and not paid nearly enough. I am afraid we could lose him. No plastic flowers, thank you. He has done wonders with our ameteur schola in our converted Baptist Church.He is old enough to be retired, but he stays on this side of the turf... [*-)]

>... If we could still do that king of music would you come home? Zip it!

Yessir. But there are a couple of things I need to get straight with His Holiness before I can do that. Not appropriate to discuss in this venue.

There is still plenty of great music in the Roman church. I'd love to worship in a high Tridentine mass.

All we have is the Tridentine, almost always a sung Mass, occasionally a low Mass, like after Holy week when they all need a break. Christmas and Easter are great. We just need to take over the Cathedral and kick our Bishop out, lol. The acoustics are much better there for sure.

Dave meets El Popo

Chao David, I must say you you look very much like that statue we have around here somewhere. A little less hair and the muscle tone is not as it it would be, but you've held up well over the years.

Cardinal Vito, make our visitor comfortable, let him sit in the big chair. Bishop Guido, a little wine, some olives and bread for our guest.

So how may I help you my son, if you don't object to me calling you my son.

"I must say our Holiness," sipping a rare Trataverna, "this chair is uncommonly comfortable, could it be made of the famous Corinthian leather offered to one of your predecessors at the time of the Inquisition? The olives are obviously from near Genoa, and the bread can only have come from artisans in New York's Little Italy. You put me at my ease, but still I have questions."

Of course you have questions, my friend. You wonder if We over-reacted when we ex-communicated that debaucher Henry the 8th. It is possible and I must ponder this awhile.

But to more pressing matters, I have this small church, St. Peters, with a middling choir of 800 souls or so. The acoustics I think are adequate, but I often find the recordings, generously undertaken by our Swiss Guards outside of their regular duties, are somewhat lacking in vibrancy and detail. I suspect the Swiss are much better at making pikes and money than accurately rendering music.

Could I possibly prevail upon your talents to record our humble Christmas pageant?

"I would be wiling your Grace, but reluctant as I am to again broach the subject, what about Henry?"

Yes you, and the faithful throughout the world need firm guidance on this issue, perhaps an Encyclical. I am prepared to issue such, but unfortunately you are sitting in my chair.

Too funny, Thebes... I am still upset that the post about the VP got deleted.... I mean, the paint job was ok, right?

Indifferent

So kind of you to remember, it was my only pulled post.

I sent an unamed forum moderator the following missive in response to this extremis (I'm using this fancy work just to PO David) action:

"(Name Deleted, Name Deleted, Name Deleted)," he said, shaking his head, his

face covered with a look of inexpressible sadness.

"I though we were making true progress. Under my

tutelage your comedic timing and snappy patter

have dramatically improved, but there continue to

be certain nuances of the art you fail to grasp.

This latest instance is a case in point. How many

times have I tried to show you the difference

between self-deprecating humor as satire, and

political satire. Without a foil, a setup man, if

you will, there is no relevant avenue to

demonstrate a sense of bungling buffoonery."

"Until you get this right, there's no sense in

moving onto the Three Major Rules of Slapstick. I

had such high hopes we'd be able to work the

Catskills dinner circuit this fall, but I'm afraid

I'm gong to have to put that off."

Did one or two miss the point and think it's