I'll never see my McIntosh MC30 - Ebay seller vanished - Lost $ 1.845

lorcoll

Hi, my american friends.

These are bad days for me. I have bought a pair of MC30 for my Khorn and I still don't believe what has happened.

The american seller with 95 feedbacks (all positive) has vanished: no reply to email, no contact.

I have paid through Bank Transfer and I have his address but I don't know what I can do. Ebay don't want refund me. I hope anyone can tell me how can I try to recover my money: USD 1.845.

This is the Ebay transaction and the seller's data:

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300267274864&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Account holder's name: Todd David Townsend
Account holder's address: 123 Oakmont Dr, Lagrange GA 30240
Account Number: 6363104201
Bank Name: RBC Centura Bank
Bank address: Address 1417 Lafayette Parkway, Lagrange, GA 30241
ABA (Routing) Number: 053100850
Swift Code: CNTAUS33

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is terrible. The ebay account hasn't had feedback since Feb 2007 before that August 2006. The item is in Mississippi but the payment went to Georgia. Contacting a lawyer would be the best place to start. Have you asked your bank about what you can do? Have you tried any of the ebay forums perhaps someone there can help. Good luck.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=107

Thak you for your reply.

My Bank can do anything. I think I'll contact a lawyer.

Yes, the item was in Mississippi but this is the seller's explanation:

"Hello Lorenzo,
I have two sons and a little daughter too. Need cash, that's why I'm selling my Dad's amps. My Dad passed away a couple of months ago, and you know it's very hard for me to sell these amps. As I said before, amps are located at my Mom's home in Biloxi, Mississippi. I used this location, because due to eBay policy I need to specify REAL item location. You will NOT loose your hard earning $$$$. You have all my information, my private bank account information - you have all info on me. I have a family. And I'm not crazy - I don't want to go to jail. I GUARANTEE that you'll received your amps on time, exactly as described and in 100% perfect working condition.
Ciao from United States!
Todd".

I had a good communication with the seller until the payment was done; then nothing.

I would also try the bank you sent money to and maybe your local police and the police local to the bank? Anything's worth a shot. If you send someone money for something and they don't send you the purchased item that's some sort of fraud or theft. Of course may be harder to get justice when in different countries.

Good luck.

This is a real Bummer! - Sorry this happened to you. In the future always use PayPal with a Visa Credit Card. 1 Call to my Visa Card and I get these charges reversed immediately.

When Visa charges PayPal, then it is PayPal's job to go after the crook. PayPal is owned by Ebay, so this is poetic justice. They get stuck with the problem they helped create!

Lorenzo,

I believe his telephone number is area code (706) 837-0477. Give him a call and ask what is happening.

Public records indicate both he and his wife Elizabeth (Beth) are 40 years old, and apparently still own the house on Oakmont. Recent assessed value of property and house was $129,000.00.

I do not find any cross reference to relatives in Biloxi, Mississippi.

"My first thought was that his account was hijacked."

That was mine as well. No activity on an ebay account for a long time then all of a sudden listing a big ticket item is a warning flag to me. Esp. if the seller hasn't sold anything on ebay before.

Shawn

Lorcoll,

I hope it's not true but I'm pretty sure you were scammed. The only minor clue is that there was no personal item descripton. It looks like a fancy advertisement but nothing about that particular item. When I see that, I'm thinking the seller doesn't say because he doesn't know about the item. Plus it's a pair but only has one shown, that's not right. It was a very good con, I can see how you were taken in.

Forget the lawyer, the money is long gone and my guess it's not in the States, it's in Africa or one of the other countries that turns a blind eye to this kind of thing. If the bank can't reverse the charge, it's over. Never use a wire transfer use a credit card or credit card through pay pal. Item in hand with cash is OK and the safest.

Sorry, that's a lot of money to loose.

Thanx,

Russ

RBC Centura Bank: Lagrange-Lee's Crossing - www.rbccentura.com
1417 Lafayette Pkwy, Lagrange - (706) 845-5025

Lorenzo, call the bank, speak to the manager, explain the situation and see if she or he will confirm the money was transferred to that account, and that it is in todd's name. They may be reluctant to give much information over the phone, so you may have to have your bank do it. As others have said, it may be that the ebay acct was hijacked . . .. maybe not. See if you can follow the money, always try to follow the money . . . .

Well guys last weekend I bid on and won an auction on Ebay for a Mcintosh MA 6450; used pay pal and within 5 minutes the auction was canceled and the funds were returned to my account. The unit was supposed to be in California but the payment went to MISSISSIPPI. Things are sounding very funny now that you have had an issue with the same state.

I sent an email to the seller asking him what was going on and his reply was the someone tried to take $1500 out of his pay pal account and it had been locked.

He said we could still do the sale if I would send a money order or bank transfer. I replyed that I would not deal outside of Ebay or pay pal. I asked him where he was located if by chance we could meet up and work it out in person. I am in Arkansas and if he was in Mississippi we could get together. I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM HIM SINCE.

I will not be buying any big ticket items off of Ebay again. I am very thankful for the Pay Pal system.

I wish you all the luck in getting your money back. Later Bill Now looking for Mcintosh local and thru the Forum.

That is terrible! Same happened to me a few years ago, also with a pair of MC 30's and also a lot of money... It's a $^*^ shame that these kind of people exist. Indeed next time shop locally or let people you really trust do the business, preferably pick up. Keep the faith, I finally did end up with a beautiful pair, thanks to this forum. Patience is hard but necessary.

Wow, I haven't thought back to that evening for a long time. The horror! Realising your hard earned money is suddenly gone and instead of a beatifull pair of MC's you have an empty bank account. I wish you strength. Remember, in the end they ruined their own karma and you will overcome! Tim.