Technical/Restorations

Talk about restoring older speakers and other technical/electronic information here.

24294 topics in this forum

1. refurbishing

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Jay Rivera

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Refinishing BR Heresy II

• 0 replies
  4. K-79-K efficiency

• 0 replies
  5. Forte iii upgrade

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  6. K-55M Low-Pass Filter

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  7. Versions of K-84-K tweeters - KG-3.5 vs KG-3.2

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • Recent Posts

• And the point is .... ?
    • Hey all you esteemed audiophiles,  it's Rob again from Kentucky.  Looking for guidance on what upstream gear might be great with the Heresy IV's.   If you have a pair of Heresy IV,  know someone that does....or if you just plain know.... I am all ears....as the late great Ross Perot once said.  Right now I have a 2 watt 45 SET amp (built by Alan Eaton).  I am using a RME 2 DAC/pre with a NSD CSI streaming endpoint (compatible with Tidal).  The Heresy's are out of this world if the recordings are top notch (like Bill Frezzell, Pat Matheny, Peter Frampton upgplugged).   For the other 90% of music I like, the sound is less than enjoyable.  Kind a bad if I am being honest.   Here is what I have.   Tidal -->  NSD CSI (Streaming End Poit/DAC) --> RME ADI 2 FS (DAC/Pre) --> 45 SET Amp (2wpc) --> Mogami cables --> Heresy IV.    Just wondering if there is a rough consensus or agreement by even a couple folks on a set-up that can't miss with the Heritage line of speakers.  An assumption I think I can make, is that if a amp/pre/DAC sounds good with Cornwall's or Forte's (or even bigger Heritage models), for example, is should work with Heresy's...I betting.   Here is an extremely important limitation....I am so far from wealthy it's funny.  So, everything up  string has to be at or less that $6K.  Even with that...I am going to have to spread out the purchases a good bit.  I think I can sell what I have fairly easily, so that's maybe $1700.00 hundred or so hopefully. You can see I am just starting to sort it all out.   The whole goal though is simple --> to get the most compatible/complementary upstream gear at a price I can afford.   Someone, and I don't remember who...suggested a NAIM amplifier and preamp.  I have read good things about NAIM.  Never heard them for myself.  The other thing is...there are no dealers in my area where I can audition equipment.   Suggestions will go right to my head and my heart for serious contemplation.   Respect and gratitude, Rob  
    • Seriously...if anyone has extra copies and would like to sell them at a reasonable price I will certainly take them off of your hands. I am also possibility looking for Rush Test for Echo and Rush Feedback. I'm getting tired of waiting for a re-press and ridiculous prices. I know...patience is a virtue. I would just love to finish my Rush studio album collection. Even if you don’t have them, if you happen to spot them at a reasonable price and don’t need them for yourself, please let me know. Thanks in advance. BTW, if anyone is looking for anything in particular, please let me know. I'll keep an eye open for you. 
    • Why is shipping 4 times what it should be?
    • I am retiring and moving to a small house.  I have to get rid of a LOT of things. These are $.99 no reserve. Hopefully a forum member will get a sweet deal. Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!
    • https://www.ebay.com/itm/305557327784   I am retiring and moving to a small house.  I have a second pair of DeanG crossovers that I use. These are $.99 no reserve. Hopefully a forum member will get a sweet deal. Hope everyone is doing well!!!!!
    • Yep, it’s the arm for the auto stop. I’m not sure why he wasn’t using it but the amount of bourbon he had previously may have had something to do with it. I’ll have to see what brand it is the next time I’m over there.   He has another machine that I think was an AKAI but seemed to have trouble with the belt slipping the previous time I was over there.
    • Bob Carver is a true legend- sad to see it all come to an end. Here's a link to the Carversite thread where Jim Clark explains the situation:   https://thecarversite.com/topic/26870-bob-carver-llc-bc-audio-llc-what-is-the-difference-what-happened-why-closing/   "What happened?   1) Glass audio crashed in 2021 and left Bob Carver Co closed, with backorders and 2000 unanswered emails.   2) I talked to Bob and Peggy about building high quality products and starting yet again another company to build Bob Carver tube amps.   3) In Feb 2022 Bob Carver LLC (Bob and Peggy) and BC Audio (Jim and Lerma) were formed. The Crimson 275 was a planned source of revenue while designing other new world class products.   4) A 'well connected' industry veteran convinced me he had an existing supply chain that could provide manufacturing engineering at competitive prices and production in compressed time frames. The cost and time required were not in the ballpark. The cost were exceeded by 300% and the time required was exceeded by 600% further exhausting our resources.    Two months after our start-up, Audio science review came out with a devastating review of the Crimson 275. Photographic evidence of the 275 using clearly labeled 15 watt output transformers in the 75 watt amp, gave ASR a 'kick me' sign the size of a billboard on the companies back, it's very sad. Also ASR showed a picture of the unused earth ground pin and told readers that the 275 could result in a 700 volt shock to the user, although 2 prong power cords are common in audio, using a 3 conductor cord and leaving the earth pin unused was another 'kick me' sign on the companies back.    Bob requested that we offer refunds for the 275 and offer to rework the grounding and polarity issue at no charge with free return shipping.    Instead of BC Audio having revenue from the Crimson 275 as a start-up company to survive on, while the new world class products were coming, we started out giving refunds and free rework, being accountable for a company before our time, that made serious mistakes and errors in judgment, imho.. BC Audio paid dearly in terms of standing behind the old company and the damage to the brand resulting from ASRs review. Without revenue, we carried on for 2 years.   Today, BC Audio is closing. Sales are very slow. Customers still read ASR and contact me weekly with concern that their Carver Crimson 275 will kill them.    We still get pictures of the 15 watt transformers in the 75 watt amp and called a fraud, scam, liar and other unpleasant terms. Rating the 275 @ 75w, 20Hz to 20K further depleted credibility in the brand. I can't change the past or go back and slap the people who made those choices.. They will have to live with it. I made course corrections but the heavy damage was done.   We built one batch of 285s that are truly world class and excellent, but failed to launch as a company, manly do to baggage from the past attempts at building these products before my time, imho..   BC Audio LLC was founded in Feb 2022 by Jim Clark.  Everything we produced met specs and was perfectly safe from Feb 2022 forward. Products produced by prior companies attempts at producing Bob Carver products, like those reviewed in ASR are not the responsibility of BC Audio. BC Audio produced world class products that we stand behind and take great pride in."
    • Anyone got the Klipsch ksp-400 service manual or a link for downloading it? I got the hum-problem. The hum starts when the amplifier turns itself on. The hum is gone after a few minutes, but so is the sound from the sub-woofer. Thinking about either repairing the amplifier or bypassing it and connect all the speakers to en external amplifier.