"Sound Reproduction-Loudspeakers & Rooms" by Floyd Toole

gaspr

I got this new book from Amazon a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down. Over 540 pages ...I'm about 3/4's done. What a great read...seems like there is something to learn on every page. Check out the reviews on Amazon. Siefried Linkwitz even gives a rave review.

Highly recommended. Best audio money that I have spent......so far[H]

Not too expensive either...

So is this a technical book, or more conceptual reading? Like is there raw data and graphs and all that engineering geek speak? [A] I tried to find reviews and samples, but couldn't find anything online.

Is it better than Sound System Engineering by Don Davis? I was left rather dissapointed by that book actually, but what I was looking for was probably beyond the scope of what they were intending (but it was hyped to be a lot more).

I'm gonna see if they have this book at work before I purchase it for myself [A]

Hi Doc... I tried reading Don Davis's book...I felt it was aimed more to the pro sound world...and way too much math for me. Read like a text book. This one by Toole is much different. I really think you will like his approach in this book. Lots of graphs and a lot of psycho-acoustical stuff that is right up your alley. Think of it as "Mythbusters" directed at the audio world. He takes a lot of shots at many of the long held beliefs..and provides the science to back it up.

Hey DrWho

Click on surprise me view option and you can read a few pages at random in the book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0240520092/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Ah
cool...I'll have to remember how to do that in the future. You can
click the surprise me button almost all day and probably get close to
reading the whole book. I was stoked to see measurements and audible
correlations of ETC measurements and waterfalls....and lots of talk
about precedence effects and other time domain stuff.

I think I
might just order it anyway...at first, the few sections I was reading
were fluffy philosophical mumbo jumbo, but there seems to be lots of
real data too.

Placing a loudspeaker into a room changes everything. Proper interfacing ensures optimum results and is the most often overlooked aspect of sound reproduction.

It is sad that a buyer leaves an audio salon with the gear that he bought and $$$ worth of BS cables and the like. The dealers should give a copy of this book with each system they sell so the buyer has a shot at getting it right.

Placing a loudspeaker into a room changes everything. Proper interfacing ensures optimum results and is the most often overlooked aspect of sound reproduction.

It is sad that a buyer leaves an audio salon with the gear that he bought and $$$ worth of BS cables and the like. The dealers should give a copy of this book with each system they sell so the buyer has a shot at getting it right.

Do I hear echos of MAS here?

[A]

Do I hear echos of MAS here?

Angel

What the hell is MAS?

Hey gaspr I got the book today and have been skiming through it and can't wait to really dig into it. Many things in it I am familiar with because I have studied everything I can get my hands on about acoustics and the room/system/listener integration.

I will say this alone made it worth it's money to me. To actually read and discover that Toole had experienced in 1990 and reached the same conclusions has I had also in the last couple of years concluded in my and several other room situations and have advocated since as a valid and reasonable approach to dealing with some room modes to improve the room/system integration.

Chapter 13

13.4.1 "Natural" Acoustical Equalization Versus Electronic Equilization

This section covers measurements and listening test that Floyd Toole did in his own home concerning a problem room mode and the results obtained from both methods in this particular situation.

mike tn

In chapter 20, Toole explains that they were able to quite accurately predict listener preferences for loudspeakers by simply looking at the right combination of anechioc data only...He also goes on to point out that the Consumer Reports way of evaluating speakers was based on some false reasoning. He then goes on to hint that "CU is in the process of revising its evaluation process."

This could get very interesting if and when CU puts some actual brand names on the type of measuerments that Toole uses...do you think Bose is preparing a lawsuit yet??[:|]