Harmony remotes!

carbon summit

Just a quick note about Harmony remotes. I can't believe I ever lived without one!

I just purchased a Harmony One remote and made a few changes to my HT and was having trouble getting the remote to do exactly what I wanted. I called the Harmony tech support and all works great again. They have excellent customer service and a great product.

No affiliation of course. Its just so rare to get the level of customer service that Logitech provides to Harmony owners that I had to share.

If you have a handful of remotes and have to pick each of them up to do this or that to watch a movie or whatever consider a Harmony. I press one key on the touch screen and it turns on the TV and sets it to the the proper input, sets the receiver where it should be, turns on the blu ray on, etc. Its great.

(no Logitech isn't sending me a check for this endorsement, I was just reminded yet again tonight how good they are)

From my first post: "I just purchased a Harmony One remote..."

I've had the 550, 880, 720 and now just purchased the Harmony One a few days ago.

The 880 is good as far as fitting in your hand but I wasn't thrilled with the button placement.

The 520 was OK and the 720 built on everything I loved about the 520 and added a color display and improved on button placement. I think the 720 was better than the 880 in button placement and differently had a better display as far as picture quality. The 880 shows eight functions where as the 720 only shows six on a page.

I could go on and on but to keep it short they are worth their weight in gold in my eyes.

• Moderators

My bad fellas. It was such a long review, I had forgotten what I had read. [:P] I have an AV friend that usually sells the Harmony One to his customers. He has a new Harmony 1000 that I can buy from him for the same price he can get the Harmony One for.

i plan on buying the Harmony One too! i plan on calling "HT guy." i know it might sound lame, but i can buy the remote from him for $250 and he will program the entire thing for me, macros too! i know i can do it, but i bet he will be faster and if anything ever goes wrong he comes back out and fixes it. i guess it's the lazy way, but....i am lazy.....lol

$250 probably plus tax on top of that?

If you shop around you can find cheaper but yes you'd have to do it all yourself. Its pretty easy and if you get hung up on something call the tech support number. They asked me what my login was for my remote account and put me on hold. Came back and said to sync the remote he went in and fixed the problem for me. Sync'd it and all worked perfectly.

But if this guy is a buddy it is probably worth spending the extra cash to preserve the relationship and having someone local is always better than some online store.

I've got two Harmony devices, a 680 that I've had for a year and a half, and an 880 that I just got. I was replacing the 680, but they are still both in service on the same system. His and Hers, if you will - Don't ask. Anyway, I love them both. The 880 is an improvement in both ergonomics and performance. But, I can't get the 880 to turn on all my devices for two operations. I called Logitech to ask for help, and was informed that the devices I bought, from a reseller in China, were not new, but were refurbished. It looked new to me, and was packaged in brand new Logitech packaging. Logitech has a new policy, and will only provide support for the first 60 days after purchase for a new device. They refused to provide any help. They promised to have a supervisor call me back, which never happened. I enjoyed excellent telephone support from them in the past, now it's abysmal. I can't say I will never buy another Harmony product again, because I probably will, there is nothing else out there that can touch it. But, will I ever buy another Logitech computer input device again - NEVER.

im not sure if that is also "plus tax." when i did my searching for it, i only found it at best $50 cheaper. i figured if i could help a guy out and not take up my entire afternoon, then $50 would be worth it. with all these companys going out of business, i would like to try and help out the little guys.

From my first post: "I just purchased a Harmony One remote..."

I've had the 550, 880, 720 and now just purchased the Harmony One a few days ago.

The 880 is good as far as fitting in your hand but I wasn't thrilled with the button placement.

The 520 was OK and the 720 built on everything I loved about the 520 and added a color display and improved on button placement. I think the 720 was better than the 880 in button placement and differently had a better display as far as picture quality. The 880 shows eight functions where as the 720 only shows six on a page.

I could go on and on but to keep it short they are worth their weight in gold in my eyes.

The 880 is the 6th remote I bought and so far my least favorite to be honest. I agree with the ergonomic and buttons comments, but the way the power on and off operates is one of the most absurd way to set up. It is a good remote but for 1/3 of the price the universal MX 500 is as good if not better.

I have both a URC MX-850 and MX-800. The URC professional remotes are the best designed remotes I have seen. While they are marketed for professional installation they are really very easy to program and the true enthusiast will love the customizing abilities.

I would recommend anyone who likes Harmony to try URC's professional model remotes for the quality, design and customability.

http://www.universalremote.com/pro/

I do have to say that after getting my 880 I will NEVER be without a all-in-one remote. It so funny that before I got it my gf would never touch any remote until I turned everything on. Then she would just grab the cable remote and that's it. Now she comes in and if I am on the computer, most likely here [:D], she turns on the tv and starts flipping thru the channels. It is very easy to use and even when I had to change out equipment it was an easy swap.

James

I've got two Harmony devices, a 680 that I've had for a year and a half, and an 880 that I just got. I was replacing the 680, but they are still both in service on the same system. His and Hers, if you will - Don't ask. Anyway, I love them both. The 880 is an improvement in both ergonomics and performance. But, I can't get the 880 to turn on all my devices for two operations. I called Logitech to ask for help, and was informed that the devices I bought, from a reseller in China, were not new, but were refurbished. It looked new to me, and was packaged in brand new Logitech packaging. Logitech has a new policy, and will only provide support for the first 60 days after purchase for a new device. They refused to provide any help. They promised to have a supervisor call me back, which never happened. I enjoyed excellent telephone support from them in the past, now it's abysmal. I can't say I will never buy another Harmony product again, because I probably will, there is nothing else out there that can touch it. But, will I ever buy another Logitech computer input device again - NEVER.

Where did you get it?

Where did you get it?

From a ebay, a reseller in China.

Just toa dd a little more to what carbon said , my experience with Harmony's customer service has been horrible. Hopefully you don't have any problems after 60 days because they no longer offer phone support to customers with accounts that are older than 60 days.

I'm sure they take care of you when you're a new customer after that, they already have your money so why help

A little more on my story, I upgraded (kind of) to an Aragon Stage One that was not fully supported by the Harmony remote, I found a FAQ that said how to get a device supported with the Pronto Hex Codes. I send them 1x, says a 3 day waiting period for a response 7 days later I recieve a generic e-mail saying thatnk for contacting Harmony. "Sabah H" ask me to desribe the problem and which commands I'd like added. IF he/they would have read the e-mail it was very throuough on the issues I was Having. So I re-send my intial description and get a reply back saying I'm sending it from the wrong e-mail address, so i verify the e-mail address and send it again, same thing they tell me I can update the e-mails associated with the account both my e-mails are already there. So I call and ask politley what's giong on,. he verfies my e-mail and says he is sending a survey "right now". The survey shows up 6 days later and I still can't get them the e-mail. I start a new case with the reference number in the subject copy and pste all e-mails and tell them what's going on.

After a few more days of waiting I get a response saying they coud not convert the file but had some essential functions, it's wierd that they weren't avaiable when I added the device intially but now you have some more commands. Well I loaded them hoping they would work..... Out of 15 of them not a single 1 worked, and then the poweron and power off where messed up. So i had to delete the device, re add it and re update my remote.

Needless to say I still have minimal control over my stage one, Harmony's customer service was not so good in my case but I still Love the Remote

I googled your problem and found logitech has a forum with a user named ibanez having the same problem as you (maybe you're him)

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=programming&message.id=23544#M23544

The last post was Jan 10th 09 so its a current thread. Maybe keep an eye on it to see if the problem gets solved.

I'd offer to pretend to own one to get the customer service for you but since I don't have a Stage One it would be hard to test whatever fix they try to make.

I'd go to Best Buy and buy a new remote to get the customer service for free and return the remote in less than 30 days for a full refund. Yeah I love sticking it to Best Buy after some issues I've had with them. A long story for another thread [:P]

Another more honorable option would be to see if another member has a Stage One remote they'd let you borrow to learn the functions.

I googled your problem and found logitech has a forum with a user named ibanez having the same problem as you (maybe you're him)

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/board/message?board.id=programming&message.id=23544#M23544

The last post was Jan 10th 09 so its a current thread. Maybe keep an eye on it to see if the problem gets solved.

I'd offer to pretend to own one to get the customer service for you but since I don't have a Stage One it would be hard to test whatever fix they try to make.

I'd go to Best Buy and buy a new remote to get the customer service for free and return the remote in less than 30 days for a full refund. Yeah I love sticking it to Best Buy after some issues I've had with them. A long story for another thread Stick out tongue

Another more honorable option would be to see if another member has a Stage One remote they'd let you borrow to learn the functions.

That is indeed me, i've been asking around what other remotes users have had success with in controlling the stage one with no luck. I've got the pronto neo on its way i found one on craigslist for 45 bucks, I'm hoping I can teach the commands to my harmony remote and be done with the issue.

As for the best buy thing, I stick it to them aswell. They have a great return policy when you purchase the warranty plan. They don't check the problems half the time and tell you to go pick a new one out, that's my upgrade option.