Wanting more volume from my home theater

superedge88

So I would like some more volume out of my home theater, not needing a ton more, but would like to have just a little more umph. I find myself pushing the volume around 0 on my Denon receiver and I don't believe I should be pushing it that far for fear of pushing distortion. My receiver is rated at 100 watts a channel. I am wondering if there is a cost effective option out there for getting some more power to my speakers without becoming ubalanced. Am I correct in my assumption in that if I get a 2 channel Kennwood amp for my main speakers that I will throw off balanced surround sound?

I guess I am just exploring the "MORE POWER" options and seeing if it is something I can afford. Thanks for guiding a newbie! :)

I can't imagine needing more than 100 watts unless it's one of those marketing things where it's seven channels that TOTAL to 100 watts? (I'm not familar with Denon)

Aside from that.... what about simply getting bigger speakers? A nice round of LaScalas will part your hair!

I can't imagine needing more than 100 watts unless it's one of those marketing things where it's seven channels that TOTAL to 100 watts? (I'm not familar with Denon)

I was thinking the same thing. and according to the review I read is "100wpc x 7 of respectable amplification"

Denon is pretty reliable on ratings, so I assume that the ratings of 100 watts per channel is correct. I don't have room for larger speakers really. I believe that the biggest problem I am up against is the fact that my house is an "open floor plan" So I have a very large main room that connects seemlessly with a large kitchen, and then shares the same air space as my open stairway area leading up to my 2nd level, as well as the dining room. Couple that large room issue with mostly carpet and huge sectional couch in the same room as the home theater, I think that the system needs more juice to overcome some of these factors.

I just looked it up as well, my receiver doesn't have preouts, so am I screwed, or can I just get a good set of line level converters? Or do some amplifiers have line level inputs? Guide me oh experienced ones!

The amount of 'volume' your receiver is putting out is largely dependent on what the channel levels are set for each speaker. According to your manual your receiver's volume goes up to +18dB. It also looks like there is a 24dB variance that your channel level can be changed.

If you've ran your receiver's automatic setup it probably adjusted your speakers into the negative dB channel level since Klipsch speakers have such a high sensitivity rating.

Your Denon looks to be a nice receiver and if you're truly pushing its 100 watts into each speaker you have hooked up to it it should be playing at ear bleeding levels. I really wouldn't worry about your volume level being at 0dB.

I've had several 38xx Denons,they are solid radios but even they needed an amp.If that's not an option then think about a new avr/prepro/amp in your future.

Of course you are always gonna be limited by the sub and the very respectable,but limited high output of the 3's.

That said,unless you hear audible distortion at anything close to reference listening levels don't be concerned about volume indication.

Ok, so you're saying not to worry about pushing the receiver a little further towards the 18db level? I did run the automatic set up with the Denon Mic.

FWIW, I set my 4306 with a ratshack SPL at 85db. Last week I had the back door open to the lake enjoying some tunes outside. One of the neighbors came over and asked 'just how load does that thing go?'. I fired up the analyzer and stopped when I reached 120db. Calibrated to that end, who knows but it was loud. My receiver has seen the plus side a couple of times.

just be wary of any clipping or distortion.

Well the only reason I got this receiver is because it was a smoking deal, I got it for less than half of what it retails for. I can always upgrade the sub, so no worries there. I guess I will try turning up the receiver a little past 0, might explore the volume up to the +10 range. Thanks for the input guys! I love my Klipsch fronts and centers, matched with the Denon I love the sound quality!

'0' is pushing things too hard. I try to run my system at -20 db max, so there is plenty of headroom let over. More efficient speakers,more powerful sub, or just more wattage are the answers. If you can't upgrade your speaker system, try investing in a powerful two channel amp to take the load off the receiver's main L/R channels.

I had to go to two Denons as the one 7.1 (110 watts per channel) really isn't 110 watts per channel and the old Denon two channel (55 watts per channel) blew away the 7.1. So I use the 7.1 to drive the sub, two channel and full power to the center channel.

JJK

The 7X100 watt rating on that denon is misleading , it is true that there are 7 amplifier channels capable of 100 watts each , but the power supply will never support them all at once, a good indication is to look at the power consumption on the back of the receiver assuming 50% efficiency the amplifier will put out half of that number , divide that by seven for a good idea of what it will do all channels driven. For it to put out a true 7 x 100 watts it would have a power consumption of about 1500 watts . , or about 13 amps.