Oppo Blue Ray.

trashyrich1157

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was shipped out this morning. I plan on using the Emotiva Pre/pro when it is released (supposedly) next month (June). Hopefully, both Oppo and Emotiva are releasing 'bug free' units but we all know how first batches seem to be these days using consumers often as their test group.

After having the Oppo BDP-83 up and running for a couple of weeks now, I can now say that I'm satisfied with my blu ray expereince. I've got the Oppo hooked up via HDMI for fantastic video and Multi Channel for spectacular audio. So far I have only come across one bug, that was while playing a HDCD and I cannot reproduce the bug. The HDCD issues are noted by Oppo and they are diligently dealing with them.

The upscaling of SD DVD with VRS is a noticeable improvement over the PS3, the Sony S550 and the Pioneer 51FD. The 51FD being the closest in quality, the same holds true for the analog section of the Oppo. The Multi Channel outs on the Oppo are stellar and IMO leagues above the Sony and the 51FD can still hold it owns in the analog deparment.

The dedeicated stereo outs on the Oppo are also excellent, the bass is tighter and punchier in comparison to the 51FD and te Pioneer CD player I have. It sounds natural and balanced.

Although the Oppo is not the "Media" server the PS3 is the Oppo is aimed at a different crowd with specific needs. The Oppo is a steal of a deal with all that it offers in the A/V sense.

The finish is sleak and build quality is solid and doesn't look as cheap or shiny as the PS3. THe packaging is something that should get an award, the only other thing that cool I've ever unoacked was probably the original iPods in their origami cube, if any of you have/had an origianl iPod unpacking will appreciate the Oppo's packaging.

Load times are terrific as fast as the PS3, the sony and the pioneer were no where close in load times.

A notable setback for the Oppo IMO is the lack of Multi Channel adjustments, those being delays amoung speakers (ie distance) also bass management is either on at 80Hz or speakers set to large. I set all my speakers to large so this isn't an issue for me but could be for others. The distance is somewhat crtical as the delays for some could make a drastic impact on when a sound arrives. For me it's not much of an issue as all but one speaker is out of distance by 1.5ft, so it's not too noticeable.

These 2 options that may or may not be significant to those using the multi channel outs are made available in both the Sony S550 as well as the Pio 51FD.

Just my 2 cents, the Dave Matthews and TIm Reynolds Live at radio city is phenomanal on blu ray, so is John Mayer Where the Light is (Trio Section)

Hi Bill, just wondering what you're using for a processor and what connection method you utilized.

Dean

Hi Dean,

Using a Denon 2808Ci for pre/processor driving Crown XTi's. Oppo is connected with HDMI cable, as was the PS-3 and the "standard DVD" Oppo.

Just curious, why would you want to set your speaker distance in the player as opposed to your receiver?

very few (none that I know of) pre/pro's allow setting distance via their multi channel inputs. The multi ch inputs on pre/pros are an analog pass thru which does not convert the signal from analog to digital to adjust the distances then back to analog, so the signal comming into most pre/pros analog section is dependent upon the device doing the DA conversion for all neccessary adjustments, as adjustments are done in the digital domain before conversion.

So those using the multi channel outs on the Oppo need to know this in advance. The Oppo does allow for setting distances , as long as they're all the same or less, so L -10ft C- 10ft R-10ft, these are acceptable what is not is L- 15 ft C- 9ft R-11ft this is not supported. So if for example your setup is like ex. 2 the speakers would all play at the 15ft setting hence everything being out of whack.

Does this unit come with a remote???...I realize this seems like a petty question but I just received the "invitation" from Oppo and see a spot for wireless at an extra charge but am unsure if this is something more or just a remote...

Bill

Just curious, why would you want to set your speaker distance in the player as opposed to your receiver?

very few (none that I know of) pre/pro's allow setting distance via their multi channel inputs. The multi ch inputs on pre/pros are an analog pass thru which does not convert the signal from analog to digital to adjust the distances then back to analog, so the signal comming into most pre/pros analog section is dependent upon the device doing the DA conversion for all neccessary adjustments, as adjustments are done in the digital domain before conversion.

So those using the multi channel outs on the Oppo need to know this in advance. The Oppo does allow for setting distances , as long as they're all the same or less, so L -10ft C- 10ft R-10ft, these are acceptable what is not is L- 15 ft C- 9ft R-11ft this is not supported. So if for example your setup is like ex. 2 the speakers would all play at the 15ft setting hence everything being out of whack.

Makes sense. I missed the part about multi channel input. I was thinking HDMI.

Thanks James...after we talked, I filled out the information required at Oppo and never heard again from them...figured they were busy and all...anyway...this morning I got the invite...still not sure if I can do this but I'll siton it for a bit as I am getting a bit dissatisfied with the regular DVD player in my HT (that I never get to watch lately [;)] )

Thanks again,

Bill

No problem Bill. Yea I know what you are talking about, a DVD player that never gets used..... [:(]

I am happy with the Oppo DVD player that I picked up from Woot some time ago and the Blu-Ray would have replaced it and sent it to the 2-channel room. You never know I may get it at one point any way.

After all these reviews it sure is tempting..... [6]

James

I was reading the Oppo BD manual and it also has the ability to play media from a USB HDD or thumbdrive.

It's not a media extender like the PS3, but that effectively gets around the one big advantage the PS3 has - being able to play my movies and music from my PC through the stereo. Since I'm not into console games and would be looking at the PS3 as a BD player / media extender more than a game console, the playback quality of the Oppo puts it solidly in first place on my "must have" list.

Now to find the money. It doesn't help that my current job is going away in a few weeks. I'm in a contract position that is being cancelled and they're hiring someone to do the job internally. I, and others, are applying for it. If I get the job - [<:o)]. If not... [:'(]

I own the Oppo BD. It was released in three tiers. First for tesing and review, then a second sound for further investigation, and subsequently a limited (official) release to customers like myself. The speed is fantastic, it automatically detects and pays either DVD or BD in an instant, the load times are outstanding, and it still has all the set-up options you've come to expect from an Oppo. It's definitely nice to have one unit (and therefore one HDMI) pulling double duty. On the other side... I haven't really tested the SACD qualitity, it's not officially multi-region (BD or DVD- as of yet), nor have I tested the USB capabilities (the Oppo DV's capabilities in this realm were fairly limited), and sadly, my current receiver doesn't even do HDMI audio so I'm going optical (booo!).

On a somewhat related but tangential note; I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting something like the Sony DTR DG920 to upconvert the old S video VHS- but- I don't know how it'd do the cable as it goes right into the TV and none of these receivers have coax cable input; OR just stick with something like the 820 or even the 720 (since the Oppo recodes the HD formats?). Superfluous or even extraneous info; I recently procured the Energy Take Classic set-up and the currently reciever is the lowly, yet ample in a small room, DG 520.

I just unboxed mine and hooked it up. At the moment it's spinning the DVD-A of Clapton's Reptile while I read through the manual. I haven't seen any video yet (that's tonight... I'm deciding what to play) but I have to say that the DVD-A playback is VERY good. Every bit as good as my Yamaha DVD-S2300 was and I thought it was the end-all-be-all.

I'll give it a good workout across all formats this weekend and report back...

Yeah, I'm by no means an expert... but I have to say, so far, I love it. By the way, the backlit remote is nice (especially with the easily accessible button to light it up while viewing in the dark), and an improvement over previous Oppo remotes. I had a really bad experience with a Samsung BD player, and in retrospect I wish i'd just waited for the Oppo. Now, if it only streamed Netflix (which may be considered a gimmick by some) it'd be the full envelope.