Hows the weather in your neck of the woods?

tuned4life

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody else heat with wood? We have burned about 10 face cord so far. About 25 cord in out of the weather under the over hang, HIckory, Hard Maple, Beech, and Hard Cherry.

Insulation?

Our woodstove is heating our home most of the winter and we can barely get two cords through it. I would never move that much wood or waste that much heat. I have a hard time thinking of the waste from the two cords we burn every year. Ten to Twenty cords in one year? WOW!

Greg

We usually burn about 15 face cord a year. I don't measure every piece that I cut but they average about 20 inches. I can get approx 2 years or 30 facecord under the overhang. My firewood is stacked on pallets outside in the sun for 1 year before it goes under the overhang. Any bark that is going to fall off does in the first year. It is generally 3 years old by the time I burn it. Any more than 3 years it loses BTU value. Since my wife has been ill she can't take the cold and unless its 80 degrees she is shivering. I burn small hot fires rather than load the stove up for longer burns. I sell logs every 3rd year and the tops from those tree's keep me in firewood. One thing I found out about being retired is that projects aren't like having a job in that they always get finished. Harvesting timber and firewood is like a job for me. I guess you have to be a tree person and like the solitude of the woods. Something about falling a tree just does it for me. Maybe it's because of the dangerous nature of the work. I have landed tree's on numerous chain saws, and a truck but so far not on my self or anyone else. One cardinal rule I have is that if there is anyone else in the woods I won't start the saw. As far as insulation goes I've done the best I can.The addition I built has 16 inches of owens pink in the attic with turbine ventiators in the roof and ventiation in the soffits. 3/4 inch texture one eleven sheeting on the outside. Tongue and grove 5 1/2 inch cedar for the interior walls and ceiling. 6 inch owens pink in the walls. There is nothing I can do to insulate the cabin walls. Built with beech logs that absorb the heat and radiate it to the roof trusses which causes ice dams. The water under the ice would find a leak in the roofing if there was one. I ended up extending the roof overhangs on all walls. My main goal was to keep water off the logs. Because the roof doesnt have much of a pitch I decided to go with a bitumus torch down roof which eliminated any posability of leaks. Not very pretty but perfect for my application.

About 6" of snow on the ground. Not too windy (thankfully). Maybe in the teens today. North Central Indiana.

Should / when we ever "build" a new home, we'll have to find out about Greg's super insulation building approach.

I've always thought one could never have too much insulation. Or mass.

Had a corporate instructor for a couple of classes in different locations. He and his wife had moved a few times and had many houses built finally getting what they wanted with his wife functioning as general contractor. There last home used sand filled walls and I forgot to find out details. Wisconsin maybe near Janesville. 4200 square feet. This was up to 13 to 14 years ago but total utility bill in dead of winter for heat and everything $8? a month. That's right < $90 a month. A neighbor's bill with 3600 square foot was over $800 a month. I'm sure they also had things very well insulated. I also suspect his home a little cooler than his neighbors but still!. Mass and insulation are beautiful things. When I've finally gotten up the courage to look in the attic, I've noticed not nearly enough insulation. Blown in cellulose in our case, around 1980. Nasty dusty stuff. Needs a LOT more.

My brother has an outdoor woodburner connected to old hot water heat with the ugliest radiators that Dad and Grandpa got a "great deal" on in like 1950 when they brought them home.... and from what I understand did some heavy duty doghouse time.... anyway, the gas company couldn't believe he used so little gas. They come out and accused him of tampering with the meter. Then a second time with an engineer type who told him no, he's right.... nice. Hopefully he'll be able to hook it into his water heater but currently has electric. I have no idea how much wood he burns but I don't think it's 10 to 20 face cords or cords.

Face cord? Never heard of it. A cords a cord up here. 4' x 4' x 8' and no cheatin with the spacing mistah, pack it tight, ayuh. Bettah be good haahd wood too mistah, I don't want none-a-that soft'wood, no sah. Bout two hundred bucks you saaay? Bring two coh'ads right ovah then, I'll have the missus load-it'n the shed.

Cord is a two syllable word in Maine.

Greg

Face cord? Never heard of it. A cords a cord up here. 4' x 4' x 8'

Around here they like to sell in ricks. I thought it was illegal to sell people? 'bout $45 delivered.

I think a rick is loosely a short face cord? Mebbe 16" deep. Probably somewhat loosely stacked. The last one I got was hardwood.

Years ago in a suburb of Dallas you could get what I called yuppie stacks. Approximately 2x2x4' high? Maybe more like 16"x16"? Sized more like kindling. Most of the decorative fireplaces had gas starters. Shrink wrapped. $35 or $40 deliverd? Maybe $40 for 1, $35 a piece for 2? That was around 16 to 21 years ago.... (I feel old).

HOLY COW! That looks like a full time job........for three people!

I dunno.

Full time job for 3? Depends on who's doing the cuttin' and stackin'

Full time job for 3 maybe if valley / surfer dudes?

3 50 something consisting of mdeneen and a couple of friends maybe a morning. Home and cleaned up in time to make the 1 o'clock tee time?

I'd think 3 rednecks powered (maybe even payed) by 2 or 3 cases of cheap beer would bring home a cord and stack it by supper time. Start time about noon more or less?

A couple of southern rednecks with a gallon o' the family's finest probably by supper starting about noon?

A crew of GLA51's future Navy Seals - 5 cords before noon. Stacked and re-stacked to spec. Can we do another 5! Sir!

Face cord? Never heard of it. A cords a cord up here. 4' x 4' x 8' and no cheatin with the spacing mistah, pack it tight, ayuh. Bettah be good haahd wood too mistah, I don't want none-a-that soft'wood, no sah. Bout two hundred bucks you saaay? Bring two coh'ads right ovah then, I'll have the missus load-it'n the shed.

Cord is a two syllable word in Maine.

Greg

Here ya go, Greg...

http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

This is some of the highest grade Hard cherry in the world. Mostly found in south western N.Y. and northeastern PA. These tree's will sell as veener logs if I can get them to the ground with out cracking them. I will have any interested buyers put in sealed bids. These trees will fetch about 1500.00 each.

post-18012-13819445297838_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

What I call face cords are 4' high, 8' long and pieces average 20 inches. I sell my face cords of hardwood for 37.50 CASH. The same face cord would sell for 75.00 in Buffalo. Pictured are face cords of beech which splits easy, seasons fast, and burns hot.

You deliver ? [:o] Just kidding, I wish that was the price here, if thats similar to oak it is $175 a cord here.

4x4x8 ....or ..... 2 x 4 x 16 is what I call a cord