Tube Amp help

NOSValves

Mdeneen

I'm not sure if I did the first test right I dialed my VOM in with it set at 10 scale. I removed the power tubes and unplugged the AMP. I put the black probe on a chassis ground and then tested 4 8 16 ohm speakers leads. They all test to zero zilch nada. Am I suppose to turn the amp on without the tubes. You were not real clear on that and I'm to chicken to try it. Oh I also used the - speaker post as ground with the same results.

Oh and this amp has been sounding awesome for 2 day's now it didn't have to even warm up this morning to sound good weird Huh !!!!

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 02-15-2002 at 10:05 PM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mdeneen I'm using some old RS VOM meter called "20,000 OHMS/Volt Multitester and I zeroed it many times its kind of finicky zeroing it though. So let me get this clear I remove the power tubes unplug the power cord unhook the speakers. Put the black lead of the meter to ground on the chassis and then test each 4, 8 and 16 ohm speaker terminal and I should get a reading ??

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 02-15-2002 at 11:30 PM

Hi All

Thought I would post a update. I took the long trip to my Dad's with my 222C in tow. We tested and tested and tested and all we could find was one weak 6U8 tube that if left to warm up would even test within limits. We tested every circuit in the AMP all coupling caps. Bunch of resisters and found nothing. My Dad thinks that the Amp as seen very little use in his words when we took the Under Chassis cover off he said "This thing looks brand new and man they use the best parts of the Day".

So we spent about 4 hours checking and rechecking and this morning we hooked it up to some speakers. My Dad loves Frank Sinatra so I thought it was time to show him what it used to sound like when Frank was the King. Well needless to say he wants a Tube Amp to go along with all his Tube Ham Gear now LOL !!!!

Well anyway's I need to give Mdeneen a very big Pat on the Back he was so much help thru all this. I feel like I actually am not a Electornic Idiot anymore. If anyone buy's one of these Old amps don't hessitate to give Mdeneen a shout he knows his Sh!t.

See ya all I have to get my Amp hooked back up and start enjoying it now that I know its safe.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 02-17-2002 at 10:27 PM

• 2 years later...

Okay maybe people will find this interesting ! Why would a guy with a family business since the early 70's in tube repair not know about the 4 pin 5AR4 being fakes ? Newbie stuff here. Yup I got my very first tube amp is late 2001 I've never said anything different. Lyan I bet you wish you could say the same!

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=47fe9083a5641f28&rnum=1

I know I shouldn't take the trolls bait, but...

capacitive reactance, what exactly are you trying to prove by digging up posts over 2 years old? I knew when I sent my 1st 299 to Craig that he hadn't been doing rebuilds that long, he told me. He gives Mark Deneen credit for everything he knows about these amps. He made that very clear to me over the phone. I didn't care, he stands by his work and he NOW knows his sh!t. He has since rebuilt another 299B, 99D, and a 272 for me, all which sound great. He doesn't hide behind the computer and claim he's been doing this for 30+ years, like someone else I heard about. It's a shame we can't "See you later..."

By the way Craig the 272 sounds sweet!! Thanks again!1.gif

Well, let's just say it's a long story that I hope I won't have to tell. I guess we'll see.

Anyhow, it probably would end up getting erased by Amy cause it's not pretty.6.gif

So, I'll try to show some restraint and wait until she's out on maternity leave.9.gif