Vintage Audio....

SWL

I recently made some changes in my main system that have turned out to be the biggest improvement to date.

On my RF-7's I have Crown XTI 2000's powering the bass. As a lot of you may know, XTI's do a poor job on the highs......but to give credit where credit is due, they do a fantastic job in the bass dept. whether it's powering a sub or the bass in a loudspeaker.

Now for the good part. I took my Harmon Kardon 430 vintage receiver (30wpc) and used it to power the highs. Don't let the 30 watts fool you. This peice of vintage gear that I paid only $50.00 for has done wonders for my system. It's not only the highs that have improved but to my surprise it has enhanced the sound quality of the bass,too.

This is my thumbs up for vintage gear and anyone who is running RF-7's the HK430 will mellow out your highs and still make them sound crisp with great detail.

I'm enjoying my system like never before. [:D]

SWL, as you already know, I hooked up a HK PA 2100 to my system. It's 14 yrs old, and I've never heard my system sound so good before! I've already said it twice, and I'lll say it again. I probably have the best sounding synergy system on the forum now! Like you said, don't be fooled and let HK's low wattage fool you! That 65 wpc my HK produces sounds a lot bettter than the claimed 130 wpc from my receiver!

• Moderators

A rare time I am home by myself, and the HK 930 is playing right now at about 90db on the Cornwalls, sounds good. [Y]

The same Cornwalls sounded flat and dull on my Yamaha RX-v730 . The first time I first played the HK 930 Michael Colter was here, when he turned it on I went to turn off the sub. I forgot it was not even connected to the HK, he laughed and said " I knew what it was going to sound like". [8]

I know what you guys mean. I have a 730 hooked up to Cornwalls and I love it. [H]

I also have a 930 but it needs some work so it is sitting to the side for the moment. [:'(]

I was very surprised about my Marantz 2238b and Yamaha 1020. The sound from those are also great....

James

Dunno? Confused HK receiver owners?? Thoughts??

The older H/K was a great match for Heritage in solid state gear. The 430 and 930 have a synergy, and the 80's era gear was good too. They had a PM series of integrateds (PM 645, 655, 665 - the 665 was a BEAST, boasting separate power supplies for each amp channel), and a corresponding "Vxi" receiver line that was good on Klipsch (although the early Nak Stasis receivers were better). Once HK went to HT the early HT receivers had some real "dog" preamp sections (especially when using the analog inputs) but the same timelined separate power amps sound fine. Haven't checked out HKs more recent offerings in HT receivers.

If it was built prior to about 1989 (which puts you in 2 channel stuff), it's probably very good bang for the buck.

I originally intended on hooking up my Marantz 2230 to the highs but it didn't work for some reason. I'm gonna pop it open tomorrow and see if I blew a fuse or something.

The HK430 was sitting right there, so I figured I'd give it a try. Now, you can't get me out of that room. [Y]

A "Y" splitter on the right and left pre-outs of the preamp.

In your case, you would run out of your Pioneer's main outs to the lows on your 7's..........then run out of your Pioneer's pre-outs to your Dynaco's and then to the highs on the 7's. Tubes on the highs and ss on the lows would probably give you very good results.

I need to get my Dynaco ST-70 working so I can do the same with my Pioneer SX-1980 receiver except the Pioneer will be driving the bass.

Sounds like that would work very good for the 7's. They need lots of power in the bass dept. and the low powered tubes on the horns should be sweet. Don't worry about the crossover.

When do you think you'll have it hooked up this way? I'm curious to hear the results.

Congratulations on your purchase.

As a matter a fact I got an email from a second guy who knew I was looking and he has another HK670 he wants $79.00 plus shipping if any of you are interested I can link you upWink

Sounds tempting but it'd probably cost quite a bit to ship and the boss would probably string me up.