Wattage

CIGARBUM

Can someone explain to me, in laymen terms (not real smart) how in the world you crank the wattage some of these guys say they putting throught Klipsch speakers. I have a pair of very nice of Klipsch LaScala's, driving them is MC7200N with a MX113 Pre. When those big blue meters get anywhere North of 20 watts you need to cover your ears, I would hate to be there if the wattage got anywhere close tpo 200 watts.

Or is kinda like, my car goes 160 MPH, if you have ever driven on at 160MPH you understand.

CB

Or is kinda like, my car goes 160 MPH, if you have ever driven on at 160MPH you understand.

You hit it right on the head... That is the same reason that people use tube gear that might consist of anywhere from 5-30 watts, and they can't turn it all the way up either.

I know I currently have an Outlaw 750 that is rated at 165 wpc and I can't be in the same room with it all the way up, I only tried it once and almost lost everything off the walls. This is hooked up to my RF-83 setup.

I also have a MC-2105 and it is loud at half way up. That was the loudest that I had it and the Cornwalls I think loved it, very scary.. [6]

James

The WAF-O-Meter is a good "wattage" meter; except it's inversely proportional to the amount of watts you are using.... The lower the volume, the higher the "approval" arrow on the "meter". About 10 watts = 0 on the scale, and I start getting alot of "What!!!!.... Do You Think You Are Doing, the kids are crying, the animals are revolting, dogs howling!!!".... [:-*]

I've had mine up more than once where things are "barking" at you pretty decently. One thing that I think is different (being an owner of LaScalas for 30 years, bought/sold Khorns and now Jubilees)

Some of these speakers don't hold their clarity when you start to go up in volume. Is this the "congestion" that I've heard talked about with the K400? I don't know. What I DO know is, I can go higher on the volume with the plug uglies than I could with the other speakers and not really FEEL like its louder. There is still some space in the music.

Right now, I'm trying out a 300B amp on my K402 (and have to admit it sounds pretty damn fantastic). I have yet to crank it up since the wife has been home but, I did turn it up some the other day.

What I found was very interesting... yes it got more loud... however, it seemed to plateau a bit. I wasn't getting any noticable distortion but the sound simply didn't want to escalate any more. (especially like I know it can when I have the Crown K2 playing on top) The K2 simply takes the sound from big to bigger to even bigger... My LaScalas go from big to bigger to violent. (might add, they have Al K ES networks in them)

also need to remember that the wattage used is only a fractional proportion to the increase in decibel level. The efficiency of your speakers determines the initial Db output at one watt....then from there most is lost to resistance and it takes (I know I don't have the math correct) It takes ten times the power to get a 10 Db increase....and 10Db's is about a perception of twice as loud......

so going from a 100 watt amp to a 500 watt amp in theory should only increase the "volume" by 5 db or 50% louder....not as much as you would think.......I think the benefits come into play with headroom and distortion

As for me and my Khorns I can't go past 9:00 on my 90 watt tube amp with out making the pictures fall off the walls.....I would love to try a 300B SET one of these days in my system to see what it could do......

PWK was a railroad buff.

One time I played 'Power and Majesty' (steam locomotive) for him on bi-amped Klipschorns with about 1KW. The recording was so dynamic it used up all the available power. PWK thought it didn't quite have the feel of the real thing, but it was real close.

Very few recordings are good enough to play at levels much more than 0.1W on Klipschorns. A few will take 1KW and cry for more (Mobile Fidelity Power and Majesty - Volume 2; SP 4449, Sheffield Labs Drum record, etc).

I don't really know too much about wattage, etc. But, I do know this. My receiver claims to push 130 wpc, and it sounds GREAT in HT, but something was missing in 2 ch. The HK I'm running to the mains is a true 65 wpc, RMS, and it sounds tons better in 2 ch than my receiver...........