WAF and its Relationship to Home Theater Bliss

Olorin

Well, this one took me for a loop. Last night I had an awesome listening session for about 3 hours. About half way through it, I decided to take off the grills to my speakers. She didn't reallly say anything about it except how can you just sit there, and listen to music for hours?

This morning when I got up, I went to put all the grills back on, and she asked why I was putting them back. I said I figured you didn't like how it looked, etc. Then she says, "no, I actually like it better like that". Just keep them off.

And............ so far so good with our 2.5 year old. I thought he'd be all over them with no grills, but he hasn't even tried to touch them or anything! Wish me luck!!! I'd hate to make him sleep in the garage.............[6]

post-16545-13819455502246_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are moving from a house in CO where the HT is in the basement to a house in AZ with no basement. I had planned to dedicate one of the larger spare bedrooms to a HT but my wife suggested we convert the LR/DR to a dedicated HT. Her thoughts are "who needs a living room and dining room when you've got a family room also." So, we'll be putting the 120" screen and two rows of Berklines in the living room/dining room combination. It'll be the first thing guests see when they enter the front door!

thanks

InVeNtOR,

WAF= Wife Aproval Factor for the husbands that wear the dress!!

It stands for Wife Acceptance Factor for the husbands that wear the pants!!

Roger

Interesing comment from a guy whose avatar shows his system in the garage. Careful you don't get a run in your stockings when you get up to change albums.

Oh I see, you're a "dish it out but can't take it" kinda guy. My panties are far from bunched, pumpkin, and I'm not the one popping off with insecurities on the maleness front. That'd be you, cupcake, so ditch the "look how strong and forceful I am" BS, grow some skin, and learn to take a joke.

Oh I see, you're a "dish it out but can't take it" kinda guy. My panties are far from bunched, pumpkin, and I'm not the one popping off with insecurities on the maleness front. That'd be you, cupcake, so ditch the "look how strong and forceful I am" BS, grow some skin, and learn to take a joke.

[|-)]

Well, this one took me for a loop. Last night I had an awesome listening session for about 3 hours. About half way through it, I decided to take off the grills to my speakers. She didn't reallly say anything about it except how can you just sit there, and listen to music for hours?

This morning when I got up, I went to put all the grills back on, and she asked why I was putting them back. I said I figured you didn't like how it looked, etc. Then she says, "no, I actually like it better like that". Just keep them off.

And............ so far so good with our 2.5 year old. I thought he'd be all over them with no grills, but he hasn't even tried to touch them or anything! Wish me luck!!! I'd hate to make him sleep in the garage.............Devil

tommyboy,

Just realize that your child hasn't yet reached the "CRAYON" stage yet!! My sisters boy snuck arround behind her Klipsch Quartets (used to be mine) and drew all over the passive radiators and poked a bunch of holes in one with his crayons!![:|]

Roger

Well since I don't have WAF but instead GAF it still doesn't matter, I must be lucky. I use the living room as the HT but the funny thing is when I went to order the speakers she went with me and after hearing K-Horns for the first time wanted me to get them instead.

Then we had the pleasure of meeting Silversport and seeing his K-Horns with tubes and guess what, she likes the looks of tubes. Fun that now she refers to them as the "glowing things" and that I need to get some. So after the initial HT speakers I have since purchased 3 pairs and she has enjoyed them just as much as I have, she also said that she is spoiled and nothing sounds as good as my speakers. So yes in the end I think that I really do have a keeper.

James

A required Klipsch audiophile tool is the WAF-O-Meter by which to measure SWMBO's (She Who Must Be Obeyed..) acceptance levels. Turn it on, tell them what you are going to do and if the needle does not get past 2.5.... you are in trouble.... Change batteries often. [;)] Never use the meter after you have done something... it will always read a couple dB's lower....

Best way to get the WAF-O-Meter "pegged" in your behalf? Build them a "Wall of Boudoir" just for their chick flicks, soaps, etc. If you do it right.... you are home free and they won't even notice you draggin' large crusty speaker projects in and out, etc.

Sleep

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, you deleted your post. Men don't delete their posts.

Posted Image

• Moderators

Well since I don't have WAF but instead GAF it still doesn't matter, I must be lucky. I use the living room as the HT but the funny thing is when I went to order the speakers she went with me and after hearing K-Horns for the first time wanted me to get them instead.

Then we had the pleasure of meeting Silversport and seeing his K-Horns with tubes and guess what, she likes the looks of tubes. Fun that now she refers to them as the "glowing things" and that I need to get some. So after the initial HT speakers I have since purchased 3 pairs and she has enjoyed them just as much as I have, she also said that she is spoiled and nothing sounds as good as my speakers. So yes in the end I think that I really do have a keeper.

James

A keeper, be very careful, they are smarter than us, also they are sneaky and do what it takes to get there way, it's just in there training they do it even when they don't realize it, it's passed down from generation to generation, you can't blame them it's in there genes/jeans ! [:o]

Sleep

BWAHAHAHAHAHA, you deleted your post. Men don't delete their posts.

6L4HWVU4FMNC46LIEWCEGRTP7MASJAHK.jpeg

You live in California, you ask for approval from your wife, and you changed the email you sent me. What you are is self evident. I am a hot head and don't want trouble with Amy for something as trivial as you. Anyone who has read very many of my posts would know that clearly I am not mentaly challenged at anything your minor synapses could achieve, and while Colter and Indy Roger never got to see my wife in person, I bet they got to see enough of me to realize I am not a 12 year old hiding behind a keyboard or that I speak differently in person. You said I need to learn how to take a joke. I have been taking guys like you my entire 44 years on this planet. I will not respond to you again on this forum as this is not helping anyone.

Roger

tommy,

man i thought i was in the clear with my grills off....i told my daughter not to touch them, and she wouldn't even get near them. i was so happy and thought, i was safe. then one day i saw her stand in front of them and punch the cone. i about s*** my pants and screamed at her. she clearly didn't notice me because she jumped and the tears started to flow. my wife stepped in and was saying she "just wanted to see if the middle part was soft" or at least something like that.

grills went back on. again, bragging on wife, she didn't care if they were on or off, it's "what ever i like." the only problem with that to me, is i would like it if she enjoyed the set up just as much as me, but that will never happen. she never has any opinion on anything regarding the HT, almost drives me crazy....

tommyboy,

Just realize that your child hasn't yet reached the "CRAYON" stage yet!! My sisters boy snuck arround behind her Klipsch Quartets (used to be mine) and drew all over the passive radiators and poked a bunch of holes in one with his crayons!!Indifferent

Roger

Myself, I prefer the grills on. I just like the look better. Personal choice. But as Roger has mentioned this could happen re crayon thing even if you dont have kids.. you might have a function at your house and someone elses kids thinks your speakers are interesting.. ahh kids....

A keeper, be very careful, they are smarter than us, also they are sneaky and do what it takes to get there way, it's just in there training they do it even when they don't realize it, it's passed down from generation to generation, you can't blame them it's in there genes/jeans ! Surprise

Very true, sounds like you had the same experience... [:D]

James

tommy,

man i thought i was in the clear with my grills off....i told my daughter not to touch them, and she wouldn't even get near them. i was so happy and thought, i was safe. then one day i saw her stand in front of them and punch the cone. i about s*** my pants and screamed at her. she clearly didn't notice me because she jumped and the tears started to flow. my wife stepped in and was saying she "just wanted to see if the middle part was soft" or at least something like that.

grills went back on. again, bragging on wife, she didn't care if they were on or off, it's "what ever i like." the only problem with that to me, is i would like it if she enjoyed the set up just as much as me, but that will never happen. she never has any opinion on anything regarding the HT, almost drives me crazy....

I read this and put them back on. She asked me why, and I told her because of the kids. Not just ours, but my sister has a 1.5 year old who comes over quite often, and I didn't want to push my luck, or be putting them on just when she comes over with her kids...........

so, grills are back on now!

I am an expert on this subject. I will share my tips with my forum brothers.

rule # 1- Never tell her before you buy something-recipie for disaster- big mistake

rule # 2- Sneak the stuff in the middle of the night- plan road trips to pick up stuff where you arrive home after she has gone to bed.

rule # 3 Set up a secret bank account to buy stuff from or pay only with cash- never tell her what it costs

rule #4 - Get the big stuff first- like speakers- after that fight is over- the electronics are easy- much less noticable than a K horn

rule # 5 - When caught red handed sneaking a new 4 k Mac tube amp into the listening room use the Monica Lewenski defense- In the words of the immortal Billy Bob Clinton- Deny- Deny -Deny. Tell her you found it at a yard sale. also- refer to rule #3

rule # 6 -Get tracking numbers from all suppliers. Hide in the bushes outside the house on the day of arrival and catch the ups/fed ex man before he rings the doorbell.

When all else fails do like I do- lock up all the guns,knives, frying pans, and blunt trama objects until she is finished getting pi$$ed off. Hide out in the garage or a buddy's house for a few days. Then start thinking about what you want to buy NEXT.

They do eventually get over it.