New Cornwall Midrange Horns

greg928gts

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Here is a Cornscala top end. I am waiting for the rest of the crossover parts, before I put them up in Garage sale.

Cabinet is ready for veneer recessed front for grills. H 10" x W 22.25" x D 13.25"

post-24405-13819466251208_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Rear View. I am going to include the crossovers and APT Tweeters as well, all you will need to do is transfer your K-55 and connect the woofer.

post-24405-13819466253728_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Thanks, and yes they do sound good and look good, but are built to be veneered, I built them with inexpensive ply to keep costs down.

I intended these for use with Diy Cornscala's,or a Cornwall top box, which is essentially the same thing. Complete Cornscalas, are horribly expensive to ship, and almost gauranteed to suffer damaged due to incompetent shippers, so I decided to builld a small top cab, that is tough enough to ship safely and combine all the necessities needed for a Cornscala.

Then all that is needed is a bass bin, a K-33 and, K-55 to complete the Cornscala.

Guest David H

Dave, when are those coming over for a road test?

Rocket, looks like Sunday morning farily early, after that I have to pick up Jims Corns for upgrades.

Email sent. BTW new project is coming along nicely.

>GotHover

Thanks. I was hoping that I can find something in Europe. I have APT150 (actually Tonsil GDWT 12-19/150, Tonsil makes them for Emminence).Original large Eminence/Tonsil horn is too big for me and has rather large bump at midrange area.

post-32366-13819466396872_thumb.jpg

I read through these types of threads & posts and come away feeling........sheesh, not sure how to express it. Inadequate? Humbled? Stoopid? I mean, I feel I'm pretty handy with power tools, do a decent job with woodworking, and hell - I'm kinda smart......but stuff like this just impresses the hell outta me. And my compliment isn't just for GotHover, but goes out to all the other modder's on this forum. Seriously - my hat is off to you. Hopefully my new garage/workshop will motivate me to try some of the builds I've seen chronicled here. OTOH - I hope I don't go off the deep end like JWC has. Wink

And while I'm thinking about it, I wish there was some way this forum could condense & compile some of these "builds" such that one could just access a file (for lack of a better term) versus having to do a search and then wade through page after page of posts. For instance, if there was a "How To Build" section of the forum and in there was a folder called Cornscala which was a read only type thing (no posting allowed) that had all one ever wanted to know about building a Cornscala - everything from wood to speaker components to crossovers to whatever. Just a single repository for that project. Anyhow.....

The one thing I don't like about this particular project is that it once again leaves us vertical horn Cornwall owners out in the cold. Wink

Tom

Guest David H

OTOH - I hope I don't go off the deep end like JWC has.

Thats funny, because JWC was instrumental in the Fastrac Lascala and Cornwall lenses.

The one thing I don't like about this particular project is that it once again leaves us vertical horn Cornwall owners out in the cold.

This horn may fit and work nicely in a Vert Cornwall, the problem I see is re-covering the grill / motorboard. the vert Cornwall appears to have plenty of room for a larger horn. The bigger problem would be getting a vert cornwall owner to take a router to their prized vert motorboards. Then again a Fastrac in a top box would work nicely with your verts.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to the point where I can share some photos of my Super Cornwalls. I'm starting a separate thread too.

Tweeters on top are setup to try out three different ones to see which I like best before putting them in the cabinets. \

Tractrix midrange horn with 2" throat, BMS 4592 drivers, new Crites woofers, and with help from Al K, new crossover networks.

Greg

post-11090-13819475454632_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Greg, nice work as always. I have been working with the Cornwall/Cornscala crossovers as well. I am pleased to see your project come to life. What are your fist impressions? I suspect the 2 inch horn and drivers are going to are going to deliver similar improvements as the Khorns, in a much smaller package.

post-24405-13819475472516_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...