I can't believe I waited this long!

tommyboy

It's been a stormy kind of day, so I borrowed some Harry Potter movies from our neighbor. (never seen any of them) I had told myself that this wasn't my kind of flick, but now I'm totally hooked! I'm on my way to B buster to rent............... well all of them! Why didn't someone tell me these movies were so good????? [*-)]

It's been a stormy kind of day, so I borrowed some Harry Potter movies from our neighbor. (never seen any of them) I had told myself that this wasn't my kind of flick, but now I'm totally hooked! I'm on my way to B buster to rent............... well all of them! Why didn't someone tell me these movies were so good????? Confused

When the first one came out, I did not give it much thought, just thinking it was going to be another "kiddie" film in an attempt to capitalize on the popularity of the books, especially when something a bit more sophisticated, as far as Sci-Fi/Fantasy was concerned, in the form of The Lord of the Rings was also playing at the same time.

However, people were talking about this film and it seemed to be getting good reviews. One the DVD became available, I decided, "What the heck, I'll go and rent this out give it a try". I was friggan impressed with the movie and how good it actually was. When the second one came out, me and couple of my friends went and saw it at the theater. I've seen the third on on DVD (I have the first three on DVD), but still yet to see the most recent one (just have not gotten aroun to it). But yea, those Harry Potter films did turn out to be quite good and certainly worth the time to watch if you are into this kind of thing (which, I actually am).

If you ended up liking the films, it may be worth it to go back and read the books (which I think I am going to do once I finish reading this Mars trilogy (nearly done with "Green Mars", but still got "Blue Mars" to read)).

My wife read the books (she was a book reviewer and copy editor for a couple of magazines before she pased away). She said the writing got better as each book came out, and they got much darker. She like them a lot, notwihstanding all the hoopla by Christain conservatives. I haven't read the books or seen the movies, and am a little afraid to get started on them. Afraid taht I my get hooked and not stop until I've read them all/seen them all.

I'm definitely more of a Tolkien fan, knowing where he was coming from religiously and morally.

Bruce

i had a similar experience with The Lion, The WItch and the Wardrobe.

Never had a desire to see the movie; but, one evening it was on and i stopped and watched for a few minutes. It didn't take long for me to get interested in it. It was a really good movie. I'm a fan of C.S. Lewis...

Bruce--have you read The Great Divorce from C.S. Lewis? Very interesting book, somewhat hard to understand at times though. But, I've read it twice.

My wife has read all the books and thoroughly enjoyed them. When a new book was announced she really got excited to get it. As for the movies I have seen them all so far. I did not care for the last one as much for some reason, we saw that in IMXA 3D and that was cool but for me The Order of the Phoenix just was not as good as the other movies. I do look forward to the last three movies as I under stand the last book is going to be split into two separate movies in order to tell the entire story. I think the last book is rather big and very detailed.

If you ended up liking the films, it may be worth it to go back and read the books (which I think I am going to do once I finish reading this Mars trilogy (nearly done with "Green Mars", but still got "Blue Mars" to read)).

The Mars trilogy is great! One unusual thing about the trilogy is that it gets better with each book. The first book, Red Mars, seemed a chore to get through, then Green Mars was better, and Blue Mars was great. In my opinion, at least.

Another book by the same author, Kim Stanley Robinson, that's really good is Escape From Kathmandu. It's not sci-fi, more like slacker comedy, about some American guys hanging out in Nepal.

Yeah, you were really missing out! When the first movie came out, my wife wanted to see it, but I thought it was just a stupid kid's movie. When it came out on DVD, though, I bought it (I guess because it had a cool looking package?), and I loved it. Shortly after, I saw the second movie, which was even better. Since then, I have read all the books, and am anxiously awaiting movie #6 this summer!

My wife and daughter waited eagerly by the front door for the delivery of the books as they were each released. I was a bit more patient and borrowed the books on tape or CD from the library and listened during my commute. They came out at the same time as the books so other than a 30 to 100 person waiting list, it didn't take too long. I really enjoyed the movies too. Harry Potter is not for kids only!

The Mars trilogy is great! One unusual thing about the trilogy is that it gets better with each book. The first book, Red Mars, seemed a chore to get through, then Green Mars was better, and Blue Mars was great. In my opinion, at least.

Yeah, this is something that I've noticed. Seems the first book spent alot of time setting up a lot of the characters. It did not really start getting good until things started to blow up in the first book. I've found I do like the Green Mars better then Red Mars. Still have not started into Blue Mars yet (I am on the last 50 or so pages of Green Mars, so hopefully I'll get to it very shortly).

Another book by the same author, Kim Stanley Robinson, that's really good is Escape From Kathmandu. It's not sci-fi, more like slacker comedy, about some American guys hanging out in Nepal.

Sounds intriguing, although, admittedly, I am more into the sci-fi stuff. Still may be worth checking out if I find myself with nothing to read. Like mentioned above, after I am done with the Mars books, I may go and read the Harry Potter books straight through (now that every one of them that will be written is out).