Any audio magazine recommendations?

Gallagher, the watermelon-comedian, mentioned that Hugh Hefner is coming out with a new magazine for married men: Every month, the centerfold is the same girl.

SInce Playboy has been ruled out, I'm wondering on a subscription to a good audio magazine, that will help me to get a better understanding of audio technology, and to get more information about audio equipment for audio sound. Does the gang have a recommendation on good audio magazines ... centerfolds optional ... that I can check out?

All the audio magazines suck. That's just the way it is. I don't think any of them are helpful. Stereo-pile is out of touch with 50,000 buck CD players and tests of products most people can't afford. Forget the mags and just hang out here..........

Thanx, Russ

Sound and Vision is perhaps the most accessible and geared towards "normal" audio and video equipment enthusiasts. They have a very long lineage, formerly as Stereo Review, which goes back even further to the 1950s hi-fi review (or some title like that). All magazines will be somewhat "beholden" to companies who pay them for advertising, but S&V will (in a very polite or even veiled manner) state the weaknesses of specific equipment being reviewed. It's also a decent way to get a basic education about products and technical developments. I just wish they had not cut their music review section so much as of late.

All the audio magazines suck. That's just the way it is. I don't think any of them are helpful. Stereo-pile is out of touch with 50,000 buck CD players and tests of products most people can't afford. Forget the mags and just hang out here..........

Thanx, Russ

I agree. And believe me, after a while, I swear they just re-circulate the same reviews (on different equipment of course) over and over. How many times do we have to read "And the blah blah blah, sounded more open, more transparent, more detailed" etc, etc, etc. Is the same stuff, over and over.

I agree. And believe me, after a while, I swear they just re-circulate the same reviews (on different equipment of course) over and over. How many times do we have to read "And the blah blah blah, sounded more open, more transparent, more detailed" etc, etc, etc. Is the same stuff, over and over.

[:@]

You can find fault in allot of magazines audio or otherwise.

I like the "records to die for" recomendations that come out once a year in stereophile.

If it a compnent over $ 10,000 I just do not read it.

The Absolute Sound is a bit snobish but gets some good interviews with industry leaders every now and then. Bob Stuart of Meridian, Mark Levinson and musicians as well.

Stereophile's pending review of a Palladium will be interesting. Wonder if they will use a tube amplifier while reviewing?

For newstand prices, they are not worth it.

OTOH, by subscription they come down to nearer a buck a copy and that I will pay, depending on my mood and pocketbook. There are occasional nuggets. Sam Tillig in Sterophile is a case in point.

I also subscribe to AudioExpress. No discount there but the articles make me think of home building an amp.

Wm McD

I have a subscription to a magazine called TapeOp, but it is geared toward the recording arts. A nice mag, with articles on how to modify microphones, build stuff yourself, interviews with engineers and musicians. Although some ads may be placed strategically, it is more practical and a lot of fun.

BUT... not for the end users, per se.

Bruce

For newstand prices, they are not worth it.

OTOH, by subscription they come down to nearer a buck a copy and that I will pay, depending on my mood and pocketbook. There are occasional nuggets. Sam Tillig in Sterophile is a case in point.

I also subscribe to AudioExpress. No discount there but the articles make me think of home building an amp.

Wm McD

Agree

Newstand prices are not worth it. I can get a buck worth of something out of a mailed to the home subscription issue.

Thanks everyone. I went to Barnes & Noble this weekend, and there were about a half-dozen audio equipment magazines, but are geared more for professional audio folks and for consumers with reeeeeeally big wallets. Not much use for an audiophile wannabe such as myself.

A navigation through the bookstore's computer found only one book that should be useful, at least to teach me how to talk the talk. It costs about twenty dollars, even though the paperback cover displayed a non-Klipsch (B&W 802) speaker, and it's better than no book at all: "High-Performance Audio Systems", by Robert Harley.

Hopefully, in a couple of years when I consider acquisition of one of the bigger brothers to the Heresy III speakers for my living room, I'll know how to spell speeker, receever, and ampleflyer.

Steve,

Not to worry, I've been at this for over 40 years and I don't "talk the talk". I refuse to buy into secret languages when ordinary English works just as well. The best thing to remember is to trust what you hear, that is the only criteria that matters. If you get something home and it sounds good in your system that's all that matters.

Thanx, Russ

I agree with Russ totally here. I do have current subscriptions to Sound and Vision and HT magazine that I got as Xmas gifts. But, they are simply "toilet material" for me. It's very rare that I actually read a whole magazine. and most of the other magazines have gear that I would only be able to afford in my wildest dreams, so...................

I like the British mags best. I like their simple and effective reviews, summing up quickly and with real words and never afraid to call a turd just that. http://whathifi.com/Reviews/ Some reviews from Stereophile, The Absolute Sound and 6moons have also been helpful to me in the past, but I get upset when they hook up $1k speakers to a $50k system (what kind of reference is that?)

I gte a free opy of Stereopile at CES and never make it through it In all honesty, It is only interestng if you actually own the component that they are reviewig and the drabble goes on to long.

Try these online free mags:

I like Marc Philips. He writes for Tone Audio:

http://www.tonepublications.com/

Here is a good budet site with DIY stuff and expensive stuff:

http://www.stereomojo.com/

I like the British mags best. I like their simple and effective reviews, summing up quickly and with real words and never afraid to call a turd just that. http://whathifi.com/Reviews/ ...

Thanks for turning me on to What Hi Fi. This is useful not only for audio reviews, but also for TV reviews. Hey, gotta replace my 1996 Sony 36" cathode ray television one of these decades.

A navigation through the bookstore's computer found only one book that should be useful, at least to teach me how to talk the talk. It costs about twenty dollars, even though the paperback cover displayed a non-Klipsch (B&W 802) speaker, and it's better than no book at all: "High-Performance Audio Systems", by Robert Harley.

Hopefully, in a couple of years

I got that book for Christmas last year and found it useful. It'll give you a good idea of the basics. Horn speakers are a bit different, but they're still speakers. That book explains how various types of speakers work, as well as most other audio gear. There's even some informative stuff about speaker placement.

Bear in mind that none of the mainstream stuff is geared for tweaking audiophiles like us who appreciate ultra-efficient big ole horns with tube amplifiers. So many of their conclusions may not apply (“2A3 tubes can’t drive speakers,” etc.). Yet, I like two sources in particular:

1) Stereophile magazine, online at http://www.stereophile.com/recentadditions/, launched in 1962, to review audio products on the basis of their sound rather than their measurements. Yet it is exactly John Atkinson’s objective measurements that I like the most. They provide a hard line of performance. His graphs clearly depict differences between equipment. He tries to tell with scientific pictures what our ears cannot hear. Not that I can so easily comprehend what the graphs mean, but they try to explain that too. Subscription is well worth a buck a copy. Where I know the equipment, I don’t disagree with any of the reviews, though sometimes it is hard to tell if reviewers actually hated an item. Their budget recommendations are spot on.

2) My second favorite over the years is http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/, again because they often display measurements. Not that I think that measurements are so awfully important, but they can provide objective evidence of the reviewer’s subjective descriptions. Few reviews have been as useful to me as “Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001.” This review not only compares the sound of different types of subs, but also shows how their performance looks different. Plus, I know three of the subs and the reference tracks. With Secrets however, it is hard to find out what equipment they recommend at what price level.

3) There are gems on the other sites. I like this Mini–amplifier shoot-out: http://www.stereomojo.com/MINI%20AMP%20SHOOTOUT/MINIAMPSHOOTOUT.htm