Pioneer KURO Series Plasmas

Gilbert

It's my understanding that Pioneer has departed from the plasma screen manufacturing sceen (reportedly to future screens direct from Samsung), and in doing so, has left it with a bang by releasing the KURO series of Plasmas. However, these are monitor style screens with multiple HDMI and DVI inputs.

But this series does not come with a Tuner. My question is,... Is that a big deal? I don't seem to think so, but not sure. Anybody know why I would definitely need one? It's my understanding the tuner is only used to decode signals picked up with rabbit ears or a antenna, is this correct?

But this series does not come with a Tuner. My question is,... Is that a big deal?

For me it wouldn't be. When I was looking around for a new TV, I asked about one without tuner and just as important, no speakers... just a monitor. He said it was simply too inexpensive to add those parts so they do.

In today's age... I wonder what percentage of people take a big screen to their primary room (bedroom unit might be different) and listen to the speakers on the tv? I dropped that back... geez... maybe in 1993 or so? Whenever I got my first VCR with stereo outputs.

In today's age... I wonder what percentage of people take a big screen to their primary room (bedroom unit might be different) and listen to the speakers on the tv?

I use the tv's speaker for most of my viewing . No need to fire up my system to watch CNN or most programing and the speaker on the big Kuro is pretty good .

I've had a tunerless Pioneer Plasma for just over 3 year now and I have never missed the tuner. If you subscribe to cable or satellite you use their tuner with their remote for TV viewing.

My current Pioneer isn't a KURO but I will probably get one while I can; the Pioneers' picture is superior to anything else I have seen (in actual use in people's homes).

• Like 1

Went to sample one earlier this afternoon, only 1 Electronics store in town had one setup for viewing. Incredible, fell in love, then went home and purchased one for 4499, NIB on ebay. My near 15 year old rear projection XBR is destined for "Good Will" or "Salvation Army", I'll let the wife decide. Ya know, that darn XBR costed dang near the same price 15 years ago. The screens gotten too fuzzy for me to deal with, so entrevu...... PRO-141FD

Now to decide how to hang it.

Thanks guys.....

Nah, this was a yr ago. Actually a contractor friend & I hung it. My feminine side wanted it centered like the oil painting it replaced; only the studs weren't centered. So we tried some special drywall thingies, a gamble. 2 days later it came crashing down & scared the hell out of my lab.

• Moderators

So we tried some special drywall thingies, a gamble. 2 days later it came crashing down & scared the hell out of my lab.

I would have been sick. If I remember correctly, didn't you post pics of it on the forums? That was truly a sad day I'm sure.

It's my understanding that Pioneer has departed from the plasma screen manufacturing sceen (reportedly to future screens direct from Samsung), and in doing so, has left it with a bang by releasing the KURO series of Plasmas. However, these are monitor style screens with multiple HDMI and DVI inputs.

But this series does not come with a Tuner. My question is,... Is that a big deal? I don't seem to think so, but not sure. Anybody know why I would definitely need one? It's my understanding the tuner is only used to decode signals picked up with rabbit ears or a antenna, is this correct?

This post has bothered me for some reason. Pioneer makes Elite Kuro monitors and Elite Kuro TV's. Same PQ. All the TV's come with tuners. The monitors are just that, monitors. Why wouldn't you just go with a TV?

• Moderators

This post has bothered me for some reason. Pioneer makes Elite Kuro monitors and Elite Kuro TV's. Same PQ. All the TV's come with tuners. The monitors are just that, monitors. Why wouldn't you just go with a TV?

If you are not using rabbit ears, woudn't this be a mute point since your cable box or satellite in essence is the tuner? Is their a cost difference between the Kuro Monitors and the Kuro TV's? This might play a factor too. If it was cheaper for me to buy a Monitor and I had cable, I would go with the monitor. At least that's what I would do.

If you are not using rabbit ears, woudn't this be a mute point since your cable box or satellite in essence is the tuner? Is their a cost difference between the Kuro Monitors and the Kuro TV's? This might play a factor too. If it was cheaper for me to buy a Monitor and I had cable, I would go with the monitor. At least that's what I would do.

I interpreted his original dilemma as wanting a KURO but torn because they didn't offer a tuner. That's why I asked what I did.

As far as as using the cable or satellite tuner goes, you're correct, that will work. The thing most people fail to realize is what an outstanding picture you can get over the air. It is NOTICEABLY better than what you can get with satellite or cable. Over the air broadcasts are not compressed at all, so you get better audio AND video. Satellite and cable have limited bandwith so they compress the signals to get more available channels. Not so with over the air. We watch all our big events with our antenna. Super bowl, Olympics, etc. I've installed a couple of switches and toggle back and forth from cable to antenna when necessary. It's a shame to get a state of the art display and feed it anything less than the best signal possible.

The thing most people fail to realize is what an outstanding picture you can get over the air. It is NOTICEABLY better than what you can get with satellite or cable.

True but it also depends on where you live . I had satellite service , Voom , and local channels were hit and miss . I live within 15 miles of all the network towers but even with the ota antenna mounted at the top of a 2 story roof I had problems . I could get FOX and CBS but not NBC or ABC . Call the sat guys out to adjust it and it would reverse . Too many tall pinetrees around here .

• Moderators

Over the air broadcasts are not compressed at all, so you get better audio AND video. Satellite and cable have limited bandwith so they compress the signals to get more available channels.

Didn't know that. Do you have an external antenna? I have a analog/digital converter box (no cable) hooked up in my theater room. Image is ok, drops signal sometimes due to weak signal.

Do you have an external antenna?

I put one up before my local cable company decided to broadcast our local stations in HD. Now that they broadcast them in HD, I still will switch over to my antenna anytime there's something on I'm really interested in. I've yet to have someone see both broadcasts and not be able to tell the difference in PQ. I use THIS antenna mounted on a pole outside my house. I think they can be had cheaper elsewhere, but that's the model I use.

I'm already using my current TV as a monitor, and there's no reason or need for speakers and a tuner. For video and audio signal I'm running a Dish Network HDTV ready reciever with a Krell 7.1 HTS processor.

Don't know about the Kuro edition TV's. The dealer I test viewed the Kuro monitor at told me that the Kuro's were a limited run, but suspect he was trying to be a salesman. Still a nice screen anyway you slice it.

EDIT:

I have no intention of viewing over the air TV signals. I've been a Dish Network subscriber since 1997, so there's no point in limiting myself to the couple of channels floating across the airwaves.

I have a TH-50PH9UK Panasonic Professional Plasma display which is a 50 inch monitor. Personally I prefer monitors over full TV's, I have not used built in speakers or a built in tuner in my home theater in about 20 years. I do not want speakers or speaker grills in my display and am glad not to have a tuner as well. I prefer a sleek thin bezel frame and the high performance, high quality picture of my display.

I'm already using my current TV as a monitor, and there's no reason or need for speakers and a tuner. For video and audio signal I'm running a Dish Network HDTV ready reciever with a Krell 7.1 HTS processor.

EDIT:

I have no intention of viewing over the air TV signals. I've been a Dish Network subscriber since 1997, so there's no point in limiting myself to the couple of channels floating across the airwaves.

I'm with you, I never installed the speakers on my TV.

I don't use my OTA antenna as my only means of getting a signal to my set. I subscribe to cable but switch over from time to time as programming merits. There are times that I want a better pic than what cable HD offers.