Brian Ferry Any Fans?

thebes

Just caught him playing on tv, a song called "Avalon". Liked his style and music on this cut and would like to pick up a cd to try out.

Any suggestions. Looks like he's got about 10 albums out.

I like Brian Ferry too, Marty. I recently bought 'Avalon' on SACD. An outstanding album. Also worth buying are ''Boys and Girls' which features the song 'Slave to Love'. 'Taxi' and 'Flesh and Blood' are two other good albums to buy. Another one is 'Bete Noir' which has a stunning version of Elvis Presley's 'Girl of my Best Friend'. If you want to give your speakers a low frequency work-out, play 'Girl of my Best Friend' LOUD!

Pretty much anything you buy of Ferry's is good value, although I question his 'As Time Goes By' CD from a couple of years ago. Some of the tracks are okay and are recorded in full stereo. The rest are recorded in mono to replicate a bygone era. It's okay I guess. Just a bit gimmicky for me.

I haven't heard his latest CD, 'Dylanesque'.

P.S. Marty, if you want I can post you a spare 'Avalon' CD to you. Just email your address to me and I'll pop it in the mail. You should get it in a couple of days...

I've been a Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music fan for years. Try Roxy Music's "Heart Still Beating" It's a live CD (I'm normally not a big fan of live CD's) He does a nice cover of Neil Young's " Like A Hurricane".

I also have "Dyalnesque". Unfortunately as he has aged he has lost some vocal range. I still like the Cd, but some people might be disappointed in it.

Avalon is actually a Roxy Music album (it includes the title song), but Bryan Ferry is singing, of course. It's really popular, and you may also be able to find it on vinyl. I'd second edwinr's vote for Boys and Girls. Slave to Love is great.

You might also like to get The Best of Roxy Music. It opens with Avalon, and includes More Than This, Dance Away, Both Ends Burning, Love is the Drug, twenty songs altogether.

I'm a HUGE Brian Ferry/Roxy Music/Phil Manzanera/Brian Eno fan. Have a lot of their stuff.

A good starting point is the CD Brian Ferry/Roxy Music 'Street Life' which contains 20 songs from the first Roxy Music album in 1972 through Boys and Girls in 1985. Included are 'Avalon', 'Love is the Drug', These Foolish Things'. I think this is the same disc referred to above, it's Reprise 9 25857-2

Ferry likes to croon to the oldies and a great collection of standards is 'As Time Goes By' which has the title track, 'I'm in the mood for Love' and others. I used to uses tracks for this one in my Bridal studio, it always got comments.

The Roxy Music DVD 'Live at the Apollo' is a MUST HAVE- after 18 years the band reforms and hits the road and this is a splendid mix of rockers and moody pieces with full band arrangements and is very well staged and recorded.

And drat if I didn't buy 'Taxi' from another Forum member and did not receive the disc in the case. arrrrggh.

M

Wow, looks like I've been missing someone good all along. Not surprising, though. For many a year I had no idea who was playing the songs I liked, and since I didn't buy a lot of music it was hardly a problem.

Nowadays I thoroughly enjoy learning about something new, or old, that I hadn't run across before. Ono of the greater treats of this hobby.

I should also add that I saw a clip of him performing at the Montreaux Jazz Festival on the Ovation Channel Don't watch tv much these days, but this channel has some cool stuff on it, even though it does have a quadrillion commercials. I've also looked at the lineups of this Festival over the last few years. Wow! Who wants to send me a ticket to Switzerland.

Thanks for the very kind offer Edwin. I'll be taking you up on it. PM is on its way.

I like Brian Ferry too, Marty. I recently bought 'Avalon' on SACD. An outstanding album.

The Avalon SACD gets a lot of play on my HT. I have it converted to 7.1 through my Denon Link and it sounds great with distinct soundfields. It's wild how "India" circulates around the room and the bass on "While my Heart is still Beating" is awesome. My favorite songs on the album are the title track and "The Main Thing." [Y]

Here's a cool factoid I just ran across. Roxy Music sounded familiar so I did a little checking. Lo and behold the Roxy drummer played on two albums recorded by one of my favorite rock and roll bands, Concrete Blonde.

There are lots of Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music videos on Youtube, so you can check out more of his/their songs. The visuals look really '80s, but the music is great.

Avalon:

More Than This:

Don't Stop the Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W7hpm0MP6k&feature=related

Slave to Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqGwOmKEwU&feature=related