My Aunt Susie - may her soul rest in peace.

skonopa

I am not one to typically look for sympathy, but last night/this morning, at around 1 AM, my Aunt Susie passed away. [:(][W].

The thing was that this was so sudden - just a couple weeks ago, she seemed quite healthy, but turned out she had some rare cancer of the bile duct (Cholangiocarcinoma). The doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester did everything they could.

Just two years ago, it was at Aunt Susie's where we had our family reunion (that time I spent out in Wisconsin and Indy the summer before last, immediatly before the Pilgrimage). I am going to miss her dearly. As soon as I find out what the funeral arrangements are, I'll be heading out there. From what I understand, the funeral and burial will be back in my home town of Beloit, WI. She had expressed a desire (before passing, of course), to be buried next to her parents (my grand parents) in the cemetary. Looks like I'll be coming home again.

"A broken rainbow falls

from the sky

The tears of sorrow

Fill a young man's eye

There's a dark cry from deep inside

From a splintering heart"

- Kamelot, "Troubled Mind", on Dominion

• Moderators

Steve,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. One of my aunts died (of cancer) this past year. It was a really difficult time for me because Aunt Connie was my favorite aunt. I didn't get to see her but once every few years, but everytime we did get together it was as if we had seen each other every day. I did speak with Aunt Connie about four days before her death, while she was still coherent. In that conversation I had the chance to tell her how much I loved her and how grateful I was for the time she was in my life. We laughed and we cried during that conversation. Before hanging up I again told her how much I loved her. I am so thankful that I got to speak with her and tell her how I felt before she became incoherent... two days later. She struggled with the cancer for over year and fought it bravely until the end.

I know your loss is tremendous and I feel your pain. I will keep you, and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Steve,
I too, am very sorry to hear of your loss Comfort and be comforted by your family during this time. if you start to feel overwhelmed--just jump online and let us know. We're with you in spirit my friend.
Regards,
Steve

Thanks everybody for your kind words. Today, not really feeling like doing anything, but at the same time, did not want to just mope around the house (especially as it was such a beautiful day today here), so I decided to do what I usually do when feeling down and at a loss and just want to get away for some peace and quiet.

Took a nice long hike up along the Rappahannock River here that runs through town. Get far up enough and out of the immediate populated areas and it is nothing but serenity - a chance to be with God and nature (picture taken at an earlier time of the year - it is much more greener now). Not unusual for me to go a good 5 miles or so up river in just a day. It was just so nice and peaceful and a chance to just be with myself and not have to put up with any of the daily crap for a time being.

JM - thanks for the offer. I don't know if time will allow, but we'll see.

IMG_0942Medium.jpg

• Moderators

Steve I like that idea, it's nice to get out and walk like that especially on a nice looking trail along a river and away from everything. Good idea and sorry to hear about your Aunt Susie.

Steve. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your Aunt. The commune with nature sounds like a great idea. It's good that you have recent pleasant memories of your Aunt Susie and that you did attend that family function.

Have a safe journey.

Michael

Well, it looks like I won't be going to Wisconsin after all. I've gotten an e-mail from my mother indicating that there is going to be no service, only a close casket viewing and the internment will most likely be private. No point in really spending all that time and money to fly out there just for a close casket viewing. Kinda sucks in a way as I was at least hoping to get to see family and give my aunt a proper send off. Oh well. I'll have to respect my uncle's wishes and let them deal with it in whatever way they wish.

Still cannot believe my aunt is now gone, though.... [:(]

Well, it looks like I won't be going to Wisconsin after all. I've gotten an e-mail from my mother indicating that there is going to be no service, only a close casket viewing and the internment will most likely be private. No point in really spending all that time and money to fly out there just for a close casket viewing. Kinda sucks in a way as I was at least hoping to get to see family and give my aunt a proper send off. Oh well. I'll have to respect my uncle's wishes and let them deal with it in whatever way they wish.

Still cannot believe my aunt is now gone, though.... [:(]