Chorus for HT

M6 Driver

Bored?*

For an M6 driver, I expected more... :) I sold my M3 a month ago, it was sad.

I've never heard chorus's, but I have heard forte's and some of the other older stuff. I see no reason you can't.

I also really liked kg1's, when I owned them; could work for surrounds, small enough to put on the wall, and not rear-ported.

If you can afford the M6, just drop $1800 on 3 pairs of chorus's and be done....

Is this your current setup?

board.jpg

I can see why you'd want a change.

Well I deserved that for sure. Very Witty. [:P]

Note to self... Double check post for errors.

Yes I am bored with what I have running currently. The 82's just don't have the magical sound as the older 3 way Klipsch I've listened to in the past.

I'm doing it. I like it much better than the pair of RC7 (vertical w/horn turned). My wife likes it better too & tolerates the trade-off in size because of the sound. I find the coverage/dispersion is much better. We don't find ourselves having to turn up the volume as loud to hear everything.

Compared to Heresies, I'll say, very similar sound, to the power of three, If properly powered.

I've had mine for years and thought I was happy when they were powered with a 100w ADCOM amp. Then the bug hit and I got a deal on a Sunfire Signature Grand amp (450W continuous) OMG completely different animal. The bass is now full and rich, and there's enough backbone in the amp to really show what Chorus's can do, even at lower volume levels. More like Cornwall's (without the accentuated bass).

I was always told by my Klipsch sales rep. that all you need is 100W of power, but I know this to not be the case for Chorus's. I cannot speak for how they sound with Tubes though. I'm sure I'll like them once I try that option.

Don't get the urge to try a Academy for a center though, and avoit Forte's for surrounds. They are both great speakers, but don't meld well with Chorus. I feel that the Heresy's you already have would work better as surrounds and center, if you cannot obtain another Chorus for that duty.

Good luck and keep us abreast.

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a little dated, but I'm considering Chorus I/II, Forte II, and Quartets for a 5.1 system and there are a couple interesting aspects I see in this thread. At this point I'm going to try my Chorus I + II for my fronts (one of each per side in parallel), both Forte II in parallel as the center, and the Quartets in rear. I'd look at upgrading to 7.1 at some point in the future. My impression also was that the CII and FII in particular matched well since they both have active cones and tractrix horns. I was more concerned that the CI and CII might not be as compatible as fronts, but I've seen others do it. My other concern is using the Quartets (or any other with rear-facing bass), since I won't have a rear wall. The other configuration I'm considering is a 7.1 with the CII as the fronts, one (or two) Forte II as the center, the CI as the rears, and the Quartets as the surrounds (thanks wuzzer!).

Any comments on these two setups? Any recommendations on power amp configurations? I won't have the budget to go big on the amps at this stage.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a good position to evaluate the sound myself at this point. That's why I'm looking for some input. I'm still running my H/K 220 avr, and I just don't think it comes close do doing these speakers justice. I'll be upgrading soon, but I also anticipate needing a power amp on at least the fronts and center.

Thanks,

Mike

By the way, this endeavor started with planning to use my KG4s as fronts along with my old 5.1 quintet (not Quartet) surround system. So at this rate I'll end up with stacked KHorn fronts, a bank of La Scalas for centers and...what the heck...let's mirror that in the back!!

I'd rather see you run the front speakers in a series connection rather than parallel. A series connection will result in a 16 ohm nominal impedence that the receiver will see so you'll have to turn the volume up a bit for the same output but it'll be a lot easier for your receiver to drive.

If you do run dual Fortes as fronts make sure to put them as close to each other as possible to lessen the comb filtering and other sound distortions that using two center speakers will cause.

Are you recommending a series config for the centers as well as the fronts? I thought it was a no-no to run speakers in series, since the variable load of one speaker would cause problems for the other. Is there any danger of damaging the speakers or avr in this config? Assuming I address the underpowered avr in the future, would the parallel config be the preferred approach? The reason I ask is that I'm wiring my wall now (no drywall yet), and I want to get it right the first time...even if I run them differently for a while.

If they are in parallel, do you know if I could run one wire in the wall (10 gauge) and split at the speakers, or would I need to run wires from both speakers back to the avr?

Mike

Are you recommending a series config for the centers as well as the fronts? I thought it was a no-no to run speakers in series, since the variable load of one speaker would cause problems for the other. Is there any danger of damaging the speakers or avr in this config? Assuming I address the underpowered avr in the future, would the parallel config be the preferred approach? The reason I ask is that I'm wiring my wall now (no drywall yet), and I want to get it right the first time...even if I run them differently for a while.

If they are in parallel, do you know if I could run one wire in the wall (10 gauge) and split at the speakers, or would I need to run wires from both speakers back to the avr?

Mike

I would think the bigger danger would be presenting too low an impedance (if in parallel) to the AVR. Regarding installation, you could run both speaker inputs to a panel on the wall that would allow you to wire either series or parallel (via jumper connections) after installation depending on your AVR capabilities/preferences.

My dad has a pile of cheap AVRs that he has blown out channels by wiring multiple zones in parallel (sometimes up to 3-4 [:o]). I finally was able to convince him that this was a bad idea.