Stereophile reviews Klipsch Palladium P39

kwingylee

The latest Stereophile has a review of the Klipsch Palladium P3 by Wes Philips and John Atkinson. Its the first time I have ever seen a Klipsch product being fully reviewed in Stereophile. Although Sam Tellig did a review on the LaScala II and supposedly bought the reviewed pair

The speakers are way out of my price range but its good reading nontheless..

When Sam did the review, he said he wasn't giving them back, he liked them so much he bought them

That seems to be a recurring theme. Didn't the same thing happen with the La Scala II's. Excellent. Just from the tech point of view I'd like to see Klipsch design, build, and sell even more high tech and expensive speakers.

When Sam did the review, he said he wasn't giving them back, he liked them so much he bought them

That seems to be a recurring theme. Didn't the same thing happen with the La Scala II's. Excellent. Just from the tech point of view I'd like to see Klipsch design, build, and sell even more high tech and expensive speakers.

Missed this one, sorry, it was the LS II's I was suggesting Sam didn't want to give up

Not that it was a bad review or anything, but WP does tend to rave about most big-ticket products he reviews. At 20K, the P39F certainly qualifies as "big ticket" for most people. And at 20K, why shouldn't they get a good review? If you can't build an outstanding loudspeaker for $20,000, maybe you should be building something else.

I liked that he compared the Palladiums with the $100,000 YG Anat Reference Pros and found that both speakers had their strong points and that the less expensive P-39Fs were in some ways more pleasant to listen to. It makes them sound like good value, even at $20,000, and able to play with the big boys.

It was a bid odd that he noted that the three rear ports reminded him of a Pontiac, when everyone knows that Cruiserline Ventiports, to give them their actual name, were a Buick feature. He seemed old enough that he should have known that.

WP also complimented the Klipsch engineers and mentioned that the speakers gave a great emotional connection to the music. That's at least as important as any measurements.

I was intrigued to learn from the review that the P-39F's don't go as low as Klipschorns in the bass and are relatively considerably less sensitive at 95db versus 104 db. I wonder how the Palladium's three 9-inch ported woofers compare with the Klipschorn's one 15" corner-horn-loaded woofer in terms of moving bass air. I haven't heard the Palladiums. But I would LOVE to read comments by somebody someday who has had the opportunity to give a good listen to both Palladiums and relatively new Klipschorns, as to how those speakers directly compare with each other sonically.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a pair of P39-Fs for about a year now. It was great to see Stereo Review put into words just about everything I have been thinking about these speakers. They have the signature Klipsch dynamics mixed with best attributes of some of the other great speakers out there. The best thing about them is that they excel on every kind of music I throw at them. I'm a rocker at heart, but I listen to plenty of jazz, classical, and vocals. Kudos to Klipsch for spending the time and money to produce this speaker.

L

I am glad they got the cover, but the PSB Imagine T review that follows makes that $2K speaker seem like a real bargin; if you like cone speakers, the money you save on the P-39s, you could buy a Pass amp to give you the power that you will need; choices, choices...

Palladium P-39F

Stereophile’s review of the Klipsch Palladium P-39F (June, 2009):

Wide and flat frequency response: 39 to 24-kHz within 3 dB

Very high sensitivity: 95 db

Three 9 inch Kevlar woofers

56 inches tall

Heavy and solid: 165 pounds

Tri-amp able

Twenty grand

Possibly the best looking speaker Klipsch ever made

Sumptuous cabinet with curves like the bow of a canoe

One of the most sensitive models measured in 20 years

Over damped reflex alignment preserves midbass definition “letting the usual room ‘gain’ at low frequencies give a flat response”

Slightly hot top octave

“Midrange and treble are impressively flat”

“Really shone with vocals”

“A little more directional than a typical direct-radiating model in the region covered by its horn-loaded drivers”

“In-room low-frequency output to 25-Hz or so”

“Impressive measured performance”

“Klipsch has some excellent speaker engineers on staff”

“Felt an intense emotional connection to the music almost every time I played recordings through the Klipsch is no trivial detail”

“Surprised me with its balance, lively sound, and ungimmicky naturalness”

I am glad they got the cover, but the PSB Imagine T review that follows makes that $2K speaker seem like a real bargin; if you like cone speakers, the money you save on the P-39s, you could buy a Pass amp to give you the power that you will need; choices, choices...

This is kind of like comparing the P39 to the Anat Reference like they did in the review--it's not really fair to either speaker. Is the P39 10 times better than the Imagine T? Probably not. But getting that last 15 or 20 percent is not cheap. I have lived with some very nice $2,000 speakers, but they didn't sound like the Palladiums. I wouldn't mind the Pass though [:)]