Pro horns in the home?

MikeSt

• Moderators

Older models just had a square turntable so the adjustment was only at 90 degree increments.

Even that would be perfect for HT, it would be nice if you could order a Cornwall or heresy with a square turntable as an option !

• Moderators

How about a little music for the dinning room? A local guy here in SA.

I had seen something just like that a DJ was using for weddings. The speaker on a stick thing caught my eye, that's what made me remember it.

I have gone away from consumer-grade components all but a pair of old H's ca 1975. Because of space limitations, I have my first pair of H's and the electronics on a 6-foot long table, and under the table there are two Pro-Heresys, wired in parallel, presenting approx. a 5.3 Ohm load to a Crown XLS 602 power amp. The old H's on the table-top are toed-in, and the Pro H's under the table are toed-out. The lower set of Heresys are under the table about 18" back, and fire, toed out, toward the back of a big Futon/Sofa. That focusses their output and attenuates some of the high frequencies, but the effect is good in that ambience is added without anything objectionable that I can hear. The overall demeanor is very civilized, accurate, and powerful. If I am getting serious, I look to see if the neighbors are home. The speakers all back up against an outside wall, and there is a 4-inch dirt to roof concrete firewall between my home and the neighbor, and there is also an inch-thick concrete layer under the subfloor between the upstairs and downstairs, so major disturbance of the neighbors is not usually a problem. There is not much need to turn things up, though, because I can hear everything in the program material, with amazing clarity and detail, at surprisingly low volumes. It is extraordinary in so many ways, my 1.5 KW bi-amped, actively crossed-over, sonically maximized 15" sub-woofered tabletop stereo set.

I got the BBE 362 SW from Mr Bill Hendrix(?sp) right here on this forum. It is a sonic maximizer and bass crossover. I run one channel of a non-bridgeable(boo-hoo) Crown XLS 402 (300WRMS through 8 ohms) from the Sub-Out into a Gallien-Krueger 115 BLX bass guitar speaker that I had sitting around, under-utilized.

(If I want to practice my bass, it's just a matter of unplugging one jack, plugging in another one and flipping a switch. and go low...ha!)

Also in the signal path is a Rane 2/3 octave equalizer. Instead of a traditional preamplifier, I am using a UB 1202 Behringer Eurorack mixer. There is no phono preamp in the rig yet, but I have a nice Micro-Acoustics preamp for that. It's a hybrid unit, has rack ears but RCA jacks, just needs some cleaning up and some of the buttons have broken off the shafts ofer the years and moves and miles and need re-gluing. Micro-Acoustics for years manufactured cartridges and tone arms, etc., and this thing has about 7 different settings for cartridge variabilities and all the usual preamp switches for tape and EQ loops, auxiliary sources, etc., so when and if I want to run my Technics Direct Drive TT all is good.

Right now, I have a CD player, the output of my computer's AC97 motherboard audio, and the output of my M-Audio analog recording interface plugged into the mixer and it's all sitting right here together, so I can play CD's or any stored or streamed or self-recorded music from the dual-boot computer through the rig, with the usual pro mixer options of panning and levels, and a three band EQ strip right there on the mixing desk for each input.

The sound amazes me every time I turn it on. The best part is I got all of this stuff pretty cheap, considering. Craigslist, E-Bay, and this Forum (Thank you, thank you, Mr Bill H.for the BBE) were the sources of the new equipment. I got the BBE for $100.00, each of the Crown Power amps were $265.00, and one of those shipped free. The Rane 2/3 Octave EQ was about $58.00 from an E-bay auction, and the Pro Heresy's were $300.00 locally through Craigslist. The mixer and the bass cabinet were bought new several years ago at the local Guitar Center store and were languishing. That's around $1000.00 M/L and the stereo is better than what 99% of folks have and use. I have been highly blessed and favored, and enjoy it so much, and have been slowly rediscovering music again. I even heard things in MY OWN music that I wrote and recorded that I had never appeciated before, just this morning!

if I had it to do over again I would go straight to the professional sound side and forget about consumer equipment. One note...the Crown Power amps are not all that clean in terms of their stated distortion statistics, but when you take into account their superior damping factors and the short excursions of all the Klipsch drivers, it's rather glorious. I don't hear any distortion, but I do hear a lot of music, and the bass is extremely tunable and managable between the Rane EQ and the control the BBE gives to both sub-woofer performance and also bass contouring for the basic 4-speaker L-R stereo part of the installation.

The main reason I did this was that various pieces started to malfunction and in some cases parts if you could find them and bench fees if you could find a guy who was old enough to know how to work on a legacy piece would have been more than the cost of superior replacements. Also, I had some pieces that were not being used that it seemed insane to ignore.

The hook-ups are a little different, speakons, banana plugs, balanced XLR's and Phone plugs (typical 1/4" jacks like you plug in a guitar with). I wound up with a lot of RCA-terminated wires left over. They're all over the place in here. Rane has an excellent tutorial on interconnecting components which can be found here: . http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Last August, Mr Bill asked me to send along some pictures, but I don't be knowing how to do it, so any help on that would be good.

God bless everybody, and go Pro, Bro!!

Chuck

Thanks for the clarification guys. The number after can be confusing as well, I just like to get a mental picture of what we're talking about(ie: 15", or 12" three way). Stuff like that. Thanks

You might spend some time on the Commerical Forum. I've rebuilt and photographed most every pro loudspeaker that Klipsch ever made.

General rules for Klipsch Professional numbering systems (portable and installed)

172 is 8" two way

115 is single 15" mini-sub

262, 272 is 12" two way (sometimes three way in older styles Heresy cabinets 201, 250)

362 is 15" three way (3002 is a two way 15")

450 is dual 15 with separate horn cabinet

480 is sub for LS or other cabinets (speaker on a stick configuration)

682, 684 are dual 18" subs

Any 4 digit numbers like 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 were made in the time period when WWR ran the Klipsch Pro division. These are made of OSB board and are all carpet covered (rat fur) but are similar to their numerical cousins 2500 is close to a 250, 4000 similar to 480 sub, etc.

KPT prefix is Klipsch Professional Theater and relates to loudspeakers for permanent install in theaters although they can be used in churches and other commercial applications. Catalog attached.

Cinema brochure 2007 070814.pdf

Bill had made a point that the pro line sound is "hi fi". Well many of us did actually find that out and went with it. Another good point to make is that you not only can have excellent 2 channel speakers and systems............but most all of the pro speakers match up into very flexible cinema systems......their real intended use. So you get an excellent home theater too. You can't go wrong. Everything is matched and you can have the best of both worlds.

Thanks Michael, I'll get it sorted out.

Is there something you're looking for?

Just looking to understand more of what people are talking about and using as an example. Some manufacturers use something like X-118, which means X series and has (1), 18"woofer or a 1" tweeter with an 18"woofer. With Klipsch speakers, you actually have to be familiar with the brand (IMO eat sleep it) to understand what people are talking about. It helps when there is a discussion going on for me to give an opinion.

Thanks

Bill had made a point that the pro line sound is "hi fi". Well many of us did actually find that out and went with it

Wait... you mean to tell me these are more than simply PA speakers? [:|]

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [:#]

I know its not Klipsch but here is a system I use to run at my old house.

01.jpg

top to bottom - JBL wood horn, Altec A7 Voice of the Theater, and Bassmaxx B1 18" sub horns.

The little tube system on the table was a temp setup for an audio meet I was having.

• Moderators

We all know that the new true king of the livingroom is pictured to the left in my avatar. Big Smile

I think you might be right......compared to JC's monsters yours are a little above mid size speakers, but still bigger than the compact models like Cornwalls, LaScalas and Khorns. [:|]

• Moderators

Mark13 and Dtel are nearly brothers (save a driver or two).

So, you're saying they have different fathers? Confused

Yes it's true his dad was from the uptown area known as TAD, raised a little better but still roughly a good ole boy when he gets fired up.

Since I'm running a 4-way all horns for music and adding 4 subs for movies, I guess that makes me a nearly 1/2 Brother to thos 2-way dudes. See my Avatar.

I'm standing in there for scale and know that I photoshopped a portrait I did of PWK in 1985, on my movies screen, of which, someday, I may make available for sale to ya'll.

BTW, the center channel is the same height and 6" wider than a LaScala, just to give you an idea of scale besides me standing in there.

• Moderators

Since I'm running a 4-way all horns for music and adding 4 subs for movies, I guess that makes me a nearly 1/2 Brother to thos 2-way dudes

Almost forgot Claude, our 1/2 brother, he is "4-way" but we don't hold that against him we are open minded for the most part, we have to be it's a very small family.

There are distant relatives that carry only half of our bloodline, the jubilees, we don't really talk about them all that much, for some reason just there name causes some peoples blood pressure to rise. There must be something in there past we don't know about because they seem to start fights every they go. There Father and Grandfather were famous and well respected men, Mr R Delgado and Mr Paul Klipsch, both had many off spring who were famous and popular for what they did on there own.