Klipschorn Prices?

tom b. 57

Sounds low, but if you can see and touch the speakers and they look and sound good, go for it. I should think that a fair price for not-too-old Klipschorns in really good condition would still be around $3,000. That's just a guess though. By way of context, I paid $6,500 for my new 2003 Khorns then.

It is low, even for recent sales. What year, model and what type of crossover and finish do they have? Not that it matters, at that price, you can not go wrong.

I haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet. The seller claims they are in great shape, but, has not offered up any other info. on them. I am waiting to hear back from the seller with more info. and if I can check them out soon.

This would be something I have been waiting for for a very long time, if it pans out.

Tom

Classic Klipsch corner Klipschorns, though much larger than LaScala or Belles, require two equidistant, solid corners of a room, and so take up less floor space. Their response is more even and smooth, over a wider range, than the either Belles or LaScala, and doesn’t fall off until 30Hz. In the last several years of tracking big ole Klipsch horn resale values, the trend is certainly lower, ever since the high of $3100 in 2004 for a Birch pair. Thirty-eight eBay and other sales posted on the Forum now average $1,919, about fifty dollars less than 1 year ago. The range is from $999 to $3100. Speakerlab clones went for only $660 and an original mono sold for $761. Shipping averaged $575 in 2006, bringing the total average cost to $2,494. This is almost one-third of the cost of a new pair!

• Considering the cost of Avant-garde Audio’s large, bright horns, the unobtrusive Khorns are a classic bargain. Because of their ultra low distortion, Khorns require quality low watt amplification. Many Khorn lovers change much of their front-end equipment, but once they do, they never sell them. The most popular modifications (upgrading the mid and high-end horns and crossovers) are also effective tweaks on the lower, less costly models.

5/29/2009

If they work fine with no issues- even with minor cosmetic flaws- chipped places in the veneer- ect- they are easily worth 1500.00 min. If they are really nice that figure can climb to 2000- 3000- or even more- for late production examples. The wonderful speakers absolutely blow away just about everything IMHO. Consider that a new set is 8k and this is the true sound $$ value.Unless this is some kind of scam I would be all over this deal- quickly- before somebody else sees it and offers more $$$$$$.

I just paid $2000 for a clean pair of '65s, and I thought that was about average. It's as much about finding a pair that you can put your hands on and go pick up as it is about the price...at least it was for me. I found some $1500 pairs halfway accross the country which did me no good. Shipping is expensive and risky.

$1500 for a mint pair from an original owner is a good price.

$600 for a pair of scruffy's at a yard sale is also a good price.

Sounds low, but if you can see and touch the speakers and they look and sound good, go for it. I should think that a fair price for not-too-old Klipschorns in really good condition would still be around $3,000. That's just a guess though. By way of context, I paid $6,500 for my new 2003 Khorns then.

I sold my 75's in good shape for $2,000, 1.5 years ago. I might have held out for a few hundred more (like maybe $2,400). They went in about 2 hours posted in the Garage Sale section, so they were priced right. There were KCWL's with all new capacitors in the AA networks. I use the little Sonic Impact T-Amp (6 watts/ch.) and a 1985 Sony CD player for the demo.

I finally talked with seller and found out that he has decided to keep them. He is moving to a new home and is going to make a try at fitting them in.

I was relieved to hear that he was keeping them and that nobody else beat me to the punch. I know it's selfish, but, I would much rather hear about him keeping them instead fo someone else getting the killer deal.

Tom