Build HT around Forte IIs or start over?

SandmanXP

Looking for opinions and advice from you knowledgable and experienced Klipsch fans.

I have a pair of Forte IIs that love, but I don't listen to music as much as I once did. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, just lucked into some good speakers that I've been happy with. Been using them lately with some no-name el-cheapo bookshelf speakers in a makeshift 5.0 setup. Finally got the wife to go for a 46" HDTV and I want to improve the HT setup.

I've been thinking about selling the Fortes and getting someting like the Quintet or HD Theater setup. After reading around and listening to the Fortes some more, I am reminded how good they sound and worry that I'll have seller's remorse, so I am considering trying to build a real 5.1 setup around them.

I might try for an Academy, but it's probably more reasonable to get a single Forte I or Forte II for the center. For the sides, I need something smaller - preferably on the wall, but maybe not (locally I've seen a pair of KG 3.5 for $200 and saw at least one guy here post that he was happy with them as sides). Also, would I really need a sub with that much floor speaker?

The HT room is about 12'w x 13.5'd. I can't help but wonder if 3 Fortes and 2 KG 3.5s wouldn't be a bit overkill. Wife Approval Factor is an obvious concern, too.

If I moved to something like Quintet would I really regret it? Or, would I be satisfied in getting a decent matched set of speakers for HT in my small room?

What would you recommend?

You would regret going from Forte IIs to Quintets BIG TIME.

I would be one of the "at least one guy"s who is very happy with his KG 3.5s as side surrounds. They have a much fuller sound to them than the RS-42s they replaced. You can usually find some floorstanding KG speakers for $100-250 on craigslist and eBay pretty often.

For the center speaker a single Forte II as a center would be the most perfect match. Although, read my recent findings about running an RC-3 with Forte II fronts: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/120531.aspx

As far as a sub goes, if you watch a lot of movies you'll probably want to get one. Forte IIs have awesome bass but not the deep bass of today's LFE tracks on movies. If you mainly listen to music you can probably get by without a sub, but I've always liked a sub in my setup.

And welcome to the forums! [Y]

You would regret going from Forte IIs to Quintets BIG TIME.

Totally agree....

Picked up my Quintet III's as a "starter" so that I had a 5 peice for my HT.

Bought the Sub 12 knowing I was going to upgrade. Then came the F2's, and in a couple of weeks I'll get the C-2.

So personally i'd build your HT around the Forte's

Keep the Fortes like the other said. So far you have gotten some good advice. I would offer this as advice and I hate to say it but you can do better than Klipsch subs as far as price goes (sorry Klipsch). You may want to look at the internet direct companies and there are several. With a room that small you wouldn't have to drive them hard at all to fill the room with sound. I'm not really sure how thick (depth) Fortes are and that will reduce your floor space. You may want some surronds that go on the wall but that's just a thought.

keep the Forte's!

don't know the best surrounds, i only have experience with the rs-42's. i also have a reference set up so they sound great. i would say get 5 fortes if you could, not for any other reason than just to have them. there is also a lot of mods you can do to the fortes them make them sound even better.

• Moderators

I use 3 forte ll's across the front and original forte's for the rears and the extra forte ll for a rear center for 6.1.

So I would stick with the forte if I were you, you are not going to find anything that will even come close to that sound for twice the price you would pay. For rears speakers some of the post before this had some good ideas, the rears are not nearly as important as the front 3, keep them matching if nothing else.

You will be shocked what a forte HT & sub will sound like, guaranteed !

Thank you all for the input. I guess I'll hold on to the Forte IIs for now. I'm going to try and snag the KG 3.5s I mentioned and see how long it takes the wife to notice them tucked in the sides [:)]. Then I'll be on the lookout for a single Forte II after I save a little more pocket $$.

Well, I guess everyone's said it and you've made your decision, but for the love of God, keep the fortes =D

If you live in WA state my Dad is selling a pair of KG 3.5s in black that are in very good condition, listed in garage sale but no pics as of yet.

If you live in WA state my Dad is selling a pair of KG 3.5s in black that are in very good condition, listed in garage sale but no pics as of yet.

I'm in Seattle. Thanks for the info, but my Fortes are oak (I think), so I'm not looking for black. The KG 3.5s I'm looking at locally tomorrow appear to have an oiled wood veneer.

I'm in Seattle. Thanks for the info, but my Fortes are oak (I think), so I'm not looking for black. The KG 3.5s I'm looking at locally tomorrow appear to have an oiled wood veneer.

They're probably medium oak like mine. They aren't a perfect match to the Forte's oak oil but close enough since in most setups the speakers aren't too close to each other to compare the color.

I even have a better idea.

Keep your Forte II but make them sound brand new and go after one of the companies that make new crossovers. I went with Bob Crites from B&K sound on my Forte II and now music and movies have never sounded better. The new crossovers really make the mid range sound alot better than the original crossover. I also replace the Titanium diaphrams from Bob and after a couple of weeks of break in the highs are simply mar-vel-ous. So around $350 investment you will think you have new speakers. Here is the web site: http://www.critesspeakers.com/.

5 forte II's and 2 quartets for rear center's All have popbumper K stacks. For movies I don't think I could get much better. I have a quintet setup up stairs for the wife's TV. The forte II's would blow them away. Keep the forte II's and add the KV's or such. If you have the room you won't be sorry.

Crossover and diaphragm mods sound like fun, but I'll have to save that for later. I still need to get my center channel speaker.

I did get the KG 3.5s off craigslist. One woofer was blown, so I cut a deal. Luckily, I found a replacement woofer on ebay - hopefully that'll work. Even with the blown woofer, it's a big improvement (bad woofer is not noticable 'til I turn it up).

In a week or two, I'll start looking for a single Forte II (or someone to split a pair) in the Seattle area.

Thanks guys, for pushing me in the right direction.

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to give an update. A tolerant wife (who kind of surprised me) [Y], a little patience, and a willingness to accept less than mint finishes has me rockin' a sweet 5.1 HT setup.

Last summer, I picked up a KG 2.2v for a center and was pleased with the results. Later I got a Hsu VTF2 Mk1 sub. I was surprised how much that really added to the HT experience (I was grinning for days after I got that [:D]. I kept my eyes open for a good deal on a pair of Forte IIs or a single Forte II or the rare Academy. Whadayaknow - an Academy turned up this spring within driving distance for a reasonable price ('cuz it had been dinged in shipping to the previous buyer) and now it's mine.

Again, I wanted to thank y'all for pointing me in the right direction (in this thread and the others that I didn't post in). I glad I kept my Fortes.

Now I get to work on hiding the wires, putting the gear in the closet, maybe a better HDMI capable receiver. When I get around to it I want to do a good comparison of the Academy vs. the KG 2.2v as centers. I understand the discussion around timbre matching and (in the very short time I've had the Academy) I sometimes think I can tell the difference and sometimes not. Maybe I'll buy or build a switch to be able to do a comparison test - but that won't be for a little while...

• Moderators

Really glad you kept the forte's and built around them, you did the right thing. The sound you now have could not be touched by speakers costing 3x what you paid and probably much more. [Y]

Now you know what we were talking about, [:P] and tell the wife she moved up a bunch of notches by not wanting tiny hidden speakers. [H]