SON GOT SCAMMED ---- HELP!!

CECAA850

Short background story. My 19 year old son had a great job, complete with company sponsored 401k and medical ins. The downturn in his job market caused him to be laid off. He found another job, at a small company which did not have health insurance. Since he's been working there we've stressed the importance of having health insurance in case something happened to him. My wife and I can no longer keep him on our insurance due to the fact that he's graduated highschool and not in college. While he was at work one day his company received a fax toting health insurance for 89 dollars a month. He brought it home for us to look at. My wife decided to check it out due to the fact that she has worked in the medical field for years and had done a lot of billing and coding insurance claims. She called the toll free number and absolutely grilled the guy on the other end with very specific questions. She was satisfied and we ended up giving them my sons personal information and bank routing info. They deducted his enrollment fee and 1'st months premium. Fast forward nearly a month later. We hadn't heard form them nor have we received a policy or any paperwork. The toll free number (866-410-9954) is no longer good. I'm going to either call or go to the bank tomorrow to find out if they can trace the money. I'd like advice on what questions to ask and what authorities should be contacted? Should I contact any of the credit reporting agencies as someone has all my sons personal info? Thanks.

Carl

I would IMMEDIATELY transfer or withdraw all funds from that account to prevent any funds from being withdrawn. Talk to the bank and close the account. I have had some minor dealings with this and local police just can't help. My advice to anyone that will listen is to NEVER give out the RTN and account number or authorize debits, there is little to no recourse. I do all my banking online but I initiate the action.

Should I contact any of the credit reporting agencies as someone has all my sons personal info? If they have any more info like SSN, etc, put a fraud alert and lock with the 3 credit reporting agencies. I think all states have the free lock service now.

Good luck.

Should I contact any of the credit reporting agencies as someone has all my sons personal info? If they have any more info like SSN, etc, put a fraud alert and lock with the 3 credit reporting agencies. I think all states have the free lock service now.

Yes, they have his SSN. Where would I go to put a fraud alert and lock?

Or just go to one of the three credit bureau web sites such as TransUnion, and they will have all the info to put a fraud alert on all three. It'll take a while to clear everything up but it has to be done. I had my identity stolen a couple years ago and it ain't fun. If he's only out a couple hundred bucks, he should consider himself lucky!

Sorry to hear you guys have to deal with this. So many dirtbags out there.

Bottom notch.[N]

I found a name on my wifes notes. She was talking to someone named "Eric Bradford", if that was his real name. I googled him also. There seems to be someone in the Houston area with that name pulling all sorts of scams. Hmmmmmm.

I'm also sorry to hear about that.

We get tons of fax scams... we'll get a fax from "corporate headquarters" about a company sponsored value package for either health insurance (interesting in that I'm licensed to sell insurance) or another scam from the same corporate HQ about a value package vacation to some exoctic place...

Since we're not a corporation, involved with a corporation and did not stay at a holiday inn last night, it dawned on me they're doing a broadcast fax hoping someone that works in a company gets this and mis-reads it that THEIR company is sending this to them, thereby validating it.

I think all these idiots need to have their bottom notch, removed.

[N]

I get occasional junk faxes about holiday trips and the like, but I wonder how they even know I have a fax machine? It's not on a separate line. Do the spammers just dial thousands of numbers in the hope that a few of them will have faxes?

I get occasional junk faxes about holiday trips and the like, but I wonder how they even know I have a fax machine? It's not on a separate line. Do the spammers just dial thousands of numbers in the hope that a few of them will have faxes?

I believe you can pay for a list of fax #'s.

Well, I called all 3 credit agencies. Their recorders say that you can just call one and they'll send info to the other two, but I didn't want to take a chance on missing anything. The police dept got a call from me also, so now I have a police report case number to go along with the fraud paperwork from the bank. My son has closed his checking account (except for $5.00) and opened another. What a pain in the a$$. The bank has fraud protection so he'll get his money back. The worst part about it is the fact that the lost dollar ammount is most likely too low for a detective to spend much time working on the case. Then there's the fact that some scumbag has my sons SSN, address, birthdate etc and will most likely use it for no good. You gotta hope there's a special place in hell for these idiots. Thanks for all the advice (except for you JB[:P]).

Good luck my man! Just a little story below sorta related.

I joined a company and within 1 day was told to go to Asia. I joined the company credit union, signed up for on-line accesss and web bill pay and jumped on a plane. A week or so later I logged on and found that I was cashing checks all over Atlanta. Long story short, the person working the company mail room whose job it was to forward my mail had stolen my check order and helped himself. I ended up losing nothing but it was a P.I.T.A.

Hey second chances should be given but this guy had been busted several times before being hired for fraud and forgery. Good idea, let's put him in the mail room!

Even on my home phone, every once in a blue moon, I'll get a call that sounds like a fax machine trying to connect. Of course, since it was dialing a voice line, no fax. That does indicate to me that it seems thay just go and dial thousands of numbers. And of course, on my company fax, I've gotten the occasional fax. They go right from the fax machine and straight through the shredder without even so much as a second glace. I will NEVER EVER reply to one of those, and this thread seems to be proof positive why NOBODY should EVER reply to any of those.

Let that be a lesson learned. Glad to hear the original poster's son pretty much got lucky and managed to quickly minimize any damage done, but still... I am still pissed about some jackass that somehow managed to get ahold of my check card number and decided to have fun on my credit union's expense back in February.