Jubilee Guys

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fixing hail storm damage and getting the PA ready for IndyFest. Just got asked today if I could furnish equipment for a second stage. What do you think that answer is?

One PITA is that I don't have working laptop, so will have to drag the amps into my office any time I want to make a change. Can I send USB signals over CAT5 cable? I have cable between the gallery and the office.

Have you ever even done this????????

Yep. Have you tried Band Manager? It's way way easier to use...

You can put them in any order and the curve comes out exactly the same.

That would be the transfer function, and yes that will always come out the same....

However,
what happens if you feed in a 0dbfs signal and try to boost it 10dB?
You're going to clip the digital section. If you boost 10dB and then
cut 10dB at the same frequency and same Q you should get a flat
frequency response, but it's still going to clip the digital stage
before you attenuate. The same happens at the bottom of the band too,
which is where we're usually operating due to the gain structure. If
you cut before a boost, then small signals end up in the noise floor
and then when you boost later on you end up with extra digital noise.
If you boosted first and then cut, then you don't get extra digital
noise...

I definitely don't want to over-complicate things, but
it's important to maintain the dynamic range through the dsp since the
digital noise floor generally sounds bad. You can start by randomly
assigning filters, but if you end up with more noise then you might
consider rearranging the order.

I'm not
knocking Roy's settings but by my own measurements they do not produce
the optimal FR or sound.

Did you ever use Roy's settings specifically for the XTi? Your comments about the shelf filters have me very confused....

The
shelf filters are mostly there to provide CD-EQ, and then there are a
few filters to compensate for the horn/driver response. The narrow
filters are notching out driver resonances.

The shelf filter
solution for the Dx38 is very different from the shelf filter solution
on the XTi....you can't just copy the EV settings and leave out one of
the shelfs. Roy gets away with using one less shelf in the XTi because
he changes the wideband horn/driver EQ to accomplish an effectively
identical transfer function.

Doc, No.........I never tried Band Manager. Don't know about it at all.

I understand your explanation of boost/cut and noise floor. But you really have no control over any of that in the SA software. If Crown was concerned about that they could bury the reordering of the filters in the software behind the scenes. They may be doing lots of behind the scenes processing we don't know about. It could also be done in the amp. At any rate it shoudln't affect how the data is enterred.

As far XTI settings go......of course I used Roy's settings........ and as far as the shelving goes.....when Roy first released XTI settings everything was cool......and fit. But there were two or three updates to the settings that then overran the capabilities of the XTI EQ functionality. I do not have any of that anymore and have been working from memory to try and help Mike. So I can not tbe specific. But I spent so much time using that SW and experimenting with the XTI amps that I got really good at manipulating them and learning what they were good at, and not so good at. Anyhow, I was just trying to help Mike. He's too busy to concentrate on this stuff though. I want to hear that his jubs are making music. I also knew full well that the DX-38 settings were completely different from the XTI just to let you know.

I don't think SA is difficult to use. Probably just a fear factor at work here.

I'm double checking my settings with what was sent to me and attempting to download to the amps today. I have company this weekend, they'll EXPECT these Jubilees to be up and running. So excuse me if the place doesn't look like a show home, mmmk?

M

Thanks for the call and support Mark!

ah, talked to Kip at Crown- very helpful and patient guy. He led me through some USB troubleshooting, firmware upgrades to my amps, then how to save the devise and presets files to the computer and to the amps.

Did you guys know that you have 14 programmable presets at each amp? You don't have to hook up to computer to make each little change. I'm going to create xover only preset, full Roy setting preset, Roy+bass and some others of my own.

BUT FIRST- the second amp just updated so I should have these Jubilees up and running VERY SOON.

Michael

Did you guys know that you have 14 programmable presets at each amp? You don't have to hook up to computer to make each little change. I'm going to create xover only preset, full Roy setting preset, Roy+bass and some others of my own.

I don't know about the XTi, but I've never had my Dx38 anywhere near a computer. I just punched in the original Roy settings and when he released the 09/2008 settings, I punched them in, too, and saved them in a separate program. Now both are available at the touch of a button, for comparison or whatever, but the newer program sounds better, so it will be the only one used, unless a further update is released.

As you probably know, the Dx can store 30 user programs.