• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you boosted first and then cut, then you don't get extra digital
noise...

Ah, yes. This very thing on cassettes and movies is what made Ray DOLBY a rich and famous man........in the analog world, initially.

So in the A/D D/A world, let's hear it for those Most Significant Bits, ay?

Got em running. Steve Smith and I gave a listen to several cuts this evening after spending the day in the shop so were a little weary.

Pink Floyd- Shine on you Crazy Diamond from the Echos CD sounded fabulous, the speakers just went away and Hammond organ, Gilmour's slide guitar and vocals were crystalline with good solid bass.

A few other rock tracks did not fare so well, in fact were lacking some mid bass and 'meat', sounding rather thin to my ears. GNR from Use Your Illusion, some very well recorded tracks just didn't cut it. Several tracks from Eric Clapton Blues suffered the same fate, same with a few others. Maybe I'm tired.

The hiss from near the speakers was audible and bothersome. At 14 feet away it was unnoticable.

Looking forward to more comments from you other IndyFest guys.

Michael

Bump for the gang that was over this weekend. Some Forum members and local friends were in the house that have a wide variety of very impressive systems and I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the Jubilee/Crown setup.

M

MIke, glad you got 'em going. I wouldn't be too concerned about some initial anomalies. All that gets tweaked out over time as you listen to them more and more and more. I'd recheck all of the programming just to be sure..........then don't be afraid to make a few adjustments.

the hiss is bothersome, I'll have to swap another preamp in there sometime.

If you were using a Dx, turning down the four analogue output knobs would dial the hiss down until it was inaudible. Is there a similar adjustment on the XTis?

Still looking for a review of the Jubilee sound in my gallery from some of the guys who heard them this weekend.

Exactamundo!

Then again Michael, perhaps they are still so wowed they are having to read the dictionary and thesaurus to find the words to describe the experience? [;)]

Still looking for a review of the Jubilee sound in my gallery from some of the guys who heard them this weekend.

Exactamundo!

Then again Michael, perhaps they are still so wowed they are having to read the dictionary and thesaurus to find the words to describe the experience? Wink

Or maybe now that they've heard them...WAFs have them stumped and they don't want to talk about it?

Edit: I know--why don't you talk about this stuff-- http://news.cnet.com/2300-1041_3-6129199-1.html - to help them feel better.

• Moderators

Well really only one person has to be impressed. Also it's pretty rare that something is set up and really sounds good right off, it usually takes a while and a little playing with to get where it should be.

The other thing is everyone came from all over to be there and had a long weekend then went back home, probably not back to there normal schedule yet, you just woke up and were there.