KHorns vs. Sub-Woofer

Yes,,,All is good with the world.. Just got back from blazing Santa Barbra...Gals on the beach are getting younger.. or I,m getting older... Was nice to get away from everything audio.... Saw six big whales out in the ocean,, They moved pretty fast,,,Dolphins played between them.. Great time away from home.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good post Big Easy man

since beels and LaScalas have significant roll off before 40Hz, where the is a lot of energy in both msuic and movies, I don't think anybody can say they have good bass, unless they are describing upper bass (80Hz), the problem is matching the high output of Klipsch's big ole horns, that requires large and more powerful subs, the good news is that DIY and used subs can be had for less than $1K, only a few hundred more than what new mediocre subs cost at retail...

it will take a serious and expensive sub or two to create the high output and low distortion generated by a pair of Klipschorns.

done

http://home.comcast.net/~wooferboy/Page_10.html

Have you taken any distortion measurements?

I very much prefer the sound of a good subwoofer + lascala/belle over the sound of the khorn....it's not that the bass from the khorn is really lacking that much, but it sacrifices midband performance for its lower extension. The Jub LF is easily a notch above the lascala LF and two notches above the Khorn, but I'd still need a subwoofer to cover the full bandwidth of my source material...

A tapped horn would be a fairly easy build if you got the room to do it.

cigarbum,

My experience started with LaScalas and later on added a sub and was absolutely delighted with the sound. The particular sub I used was the Cambridge Soundworks P1000, which had a table top control box, which could be placed with the system miles away from the sub if convenient. Also had a remote control, which was nice. The sound of the LaScalas was then killer sound hands down. I found the sub fast and powerful and a real complement to LS.

I thought it couldn't get better than that, in my house anyway, but was intrigued by forum members who got Khorns after LS. They talked about a bigger sound. It was hard to imagine, but when I finally ran across a no brainer deal on Khorns I got a pair and put them in service. It is true, IMO, that Khorns have a bigger sound. Of course, the bass is better. What really surprised me was that the mids and hi frequency sounds were bigger. You could have blown me over with a feather. My take on my is so has to do with the Khorn nestled in the corners allows the speaker to load the room differently than with LaScalas. Think about it, a LaScala or Belle can be placed in a corner, but there is no way to back up that K55 driver right into the corner like a Khorn. The difference is surprisingly.

I know i'm easily entertained, but the Khorn sound was so good to my ears, I never did get around to hooking up a sub.

I will say that after reading Colin's post, I wish I had tried the sub with the Khorns. Thanks, Colin, for the excellent review.

What really surprised me was that the mids and hi frequency sounds were bigger.

I wonder if it isn't the bigger bass horn mouth. 400 Hz reaches well up into the midrange (440 is the orchestra's tuning "A"), and thus reproduces the fundamentals of treble instruments which would affect how they sound in the highs IMO.

In my experience K-horns don't work well from 30 to 20hz. ( basically nothing there) With the addition of the sub 20 to 30hz comes blasting through in bigtime chair rattling awsome wow wow sound, especially when you crank up the low end about 15 db.

JJK

What really surprised me was that the mids and hi frequency sounds were bigger.

I wonder if it isn't the bigger bass horn mouth. 400 Hz reaches well up into the midrange (440 is the orchestra's tuning "A"), and thus reproduces the fundamentals of treble instruments which would affect how they sound in the highs IMO.

Larry,

That's an interesting thought. Could well be what makes the bigger sound.

Well I am convinced, gots to get me some horns. If anyone knows of a pair around Atlanta (maybe Mike can help ) or Charlott (maybe Chris can help ) maybe not a whole lot north of $1500 and get a little help getting them to the mountains.

Appreciate it guys

CB

I personally think he's asking too much... also perhaps evidenced since he's not sold them yet. I'm not related but I think they are between you & me (Niota, just south of Sweetwater TN) I'd be happy to go by there and kick their tires for ya if you come to any discussion with the guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-k-55-v-k-33-e-k-77-Klipschorn-Type-KD-BR_W0QQitemZ280354455709QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item41466d809d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is what a friend of mine discovered about Khorns and deep bass.

350 wpc Luxman amp, 19 Hz Organ CD music = new woofer replacments, both...happen back in the mid 80's

Happened to see the watt VU meters hit 500 then nothing.....

So, Khorn as a sub, na......when mine were used for HT, ran em small and used two 12" subs. Now they do 2 ch only and I run pair of THX Ultra2 Klipsch subs in my CW I LCR HT....I don't subgect them to bottom end as I use an 8008x3 to drive them.

Here is what a friend of mine discovered about Khorns and deep bass:

350 wpc Luxman amp, 19 Hz Organ CD music = new woofer replacments, both...happen back in the mid 80's

Happened to see the watt VU meters hit 500 then nothing...

I reckon his neighbors heard it a block or so away, too..(good golly...that's LOUD...call OSHA).

Here is what a friend of mine discovered about Khorns and deep bass.

Happened to see the watt VU meters hit 500 then nothing.....

So, Khorn as a sub, na......when mine were used for HT, ran em small and used two 12" subs. Now they do 2 ch only and I run pair of THX Ultra2 Klipsch subs in my CW I LCR HT....I don't subgect them to bottom end as I use an 8008x3 to drive them.

Ouc......

Launched a woofer!!

Here is what a friend of mine discovered about Khorns and deep bass:

Happened to see the watt VU meters hit 500 then nothing...

I reckon his neighbors heard it a block or so away, too..(good golly...that's LOUD...call OSHA).

The khorn is a good 20-24dB down at 19Hz....500W would have only been about 100dB, which at 19Hz should have been inaudible. Harmonics would be a good 10-20dB down from the fundamental, so maybe 110dB in room at 1m.....so not very loud at all. I'd be surprised if the next door neighbors heard it....