Just bought a Marantz SR7001 receiver

wuzzzer

Got the receiver today. Seller packed it very well, thankfully. Looks to be 9/10 condition, very very nice. Has all the original accessories as far as power cable, Audyssey microphone, remote, manual, etc.

Unfortunately my wife won't let me set it up right now because she's watching TV. She sure knows how to drive a guy nuts. Super Angry

simple fix:

unplug tv. say "oops, sorry". begin installing expensive receiver. :P

Congrats,maybe you could tell her the guys on the Klipsch site really want to know how you like it.Wink

:D the guys on s&v mag really helped me feel better about buying it. i was sweatin bullets thinking it wouldnt make my ears bleed. i will post here how it performs on the rf-83's. im wanting permanent ear damage

Man these receivers are hard to set up. Of course, when you have HDMI, S-Video, component video, coaxial digital, optical digital and analog audio all going in it makes sense that it would take a little while.

First impressions is that the Marantz sounds a LOT better with music than the Onkyo. Unfortunately my wife's in bed so I can't listen loudly until tomorrow when she's at work.

The anticipation is driving me nuts, I want to hear what you guys think of the equipment. I'm looking to getting a 6003.

I read a review about the 6003 somewhere, looks like it tested extremely well.

The Marantz definitely does a much better job with two channel stereo than my Onkyo did. I don't want to say bad things about the Onkyo (especially since I'm trying to sell it!) because it is suited perfectly for home theater, which is what it was designed for. The Marantz is equally as good with two channel as it is with home theater sound. Two channel performance is important to me and so that's why I opted for the Marantz.

Mr. RF62, I'd highly suggest buying from accessories4less.com :

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR6003/Marantz/SR6003-Dolby-TrueHD-/-dts-HD-Master-Audio-AV-Receiver/1.html

I'm pretty sure they have free shipping on that item and you get a free Marantz DVD player that you can sell on eBay for $50-75 to help defray the cost of the receiver.

I haven't done any real critical listening yet but so far I love the Marantz. I have a few CDs I always listen to when I change something in my setup. One of them is Telarc's Great Fantasy Adventure album that has a lot of dynamic songs with sub-20Hz information and also detailed cymbals and other upper frequency instruments. I'll probably listen to it within the next day or two.

I listened to Heart's live in Seattle concert on Blu-Ray and despite the fact that its a 5.0 recording (why no LFE track??) it sounded fantastic.

I really was holding out for an 8001 but I suppose if I ever come across a great deal on an 8001 I'll get it.

2 channel stereo is awesome... im loving the 2.1 and when i switch to the music surroud sounds, it is luxurious. the marantz is impressing me on sound quality, but there are other areas that are not so great sadly :(

do you guys want to hear my thoughts?

do you guys want to hear my thoughts?

Sure!

Oh, the word "coming" only has one "m" in it by the way. We'll get your signature perfect eventually!

Straight LOL ...

LOLLOLLOL

ill get it right one day... hehe

okay heres my thoughts. the receiver sounds great, but minor details saddens me.

1. there could be a more user friendly EQ where i can make on the fly adjustments other than base and trebel to main speakers and also the rear and side speakers aswell. My sony had a very user friendly EQ, i miss it.
  2. Dual outputs are great, but dual disply simotaneously is better. Ex, me and my wife love to watch sports and we hate commercials so we record them with the DVR. When im in the room watching the recorded game on HDMI 1, she could be in the work out room watching the game with me on the second display in there. As it is now, Marantz 8002 makes you choose 1 or the other but not both to display to, so we are force to send an HDMI from the direct tv receiver to the other room and forced to use componet in the main room.
  3. The companion remote is not RF so whats the point??? IMO both remotes should come standard RF. wouldnt that be nice.
  4. The remotes are primitive if you ask me. They still come with preset funcions like VCR, and DVD, and MD.... so I have my blue ray on the preset DVD button and my MP3 player on the VCR. I would much rather my buittons to say Video 1, Video 2, or something of that sort then saying CD, or VCR. Thats just so outdated. even on the back of the unit with the input panel, it has preset words for old school devices which ill never use again.
  5. Codes for the remote to work with atleast the most popular new devices like blu ray players and cable recievers would be nice. my remote doesnt work with Direct TV DVR's
  6. Sirius Ready would be awesome... not everybody has XM
  7. More HDMI inputs would be nice. 4 is still not enough for me.
  8. The manual was not very user friendly either. The manual would be explaining something but would refer to something else in the manual while showing you how to do something, but wouldnt give you a page # to what it was referencing. So i was forced to download the PDF so i could search what it was talking about. I had to do this often.

There are more small things i can think of but its nothing major, and these arnt that major either, but when you combine all of the small things, it adds up to lower satisfaction level for me. a 2000 dollar receiver should come with more flexiblity imo, but true enough is just an opinion and im sure many will disagree.

Straight LOL ...

okay heres my thoughts. the receiver sounds great, but minor details saddens me.

1. there could be a more user friendly EQ where i can make on the fly adjustments other than base and trebel to main speakers and also the rear and side speakers aswell. My sony had a very user friendly EQ, i miss it.
  2. Dual outputs are great, but dual disply simotaneously is better. Ex, me and my wife love to watch sports and we hate commercials so we record them with the DVR. When im in the room watching the recorded game on HDMI 1, she could be in the work out room watching the game with me on the second display in there. As it is now, Marantz 8002 makes you choose 1 or the other but not both to display to, so we are force to send an HDMI from the direct tv receiver to the other room and forced to use componet in the main room.
  3. The companion remote is not RF so whats the point??? IMO both remotes should come standard RF. wouldnt that be nice.
  4. The remotes are primitive if you ask me. They still come with preset funcions like VCR, and DVD, and MD.... so I have my blue ray on the preset DVD button and my MP3 player on the VCR. I would much rather my buittons to say Video 1, Video 2, or something of that sort then saying CD, or VCR. Thats just so outdated. even on the back of the unit with the input panel, it has preset words for old school devices which ill never use again.
  5. Codes for the remote to work with atleast the most popular new devices like blu ray players and cable recievers would be nice. my remote doesnt work with Direct TV DVR's
  6. Sirius Ready would be awesome... not everybody has XM
  7. More HDMI inputs would be nice. 4 is still not enough for me.
  8. The manual was not very user friendly either. The manual would be explaining something but would refer to something else in the manual while showing you how to do something, but wouldnt give you a page # to what it was referencing. So i was forced to download the PDF so i could search what it was talking about. I had to do this often.

There are more small things i can think of but its nothing major, and these arnt that major either, but when you combine all of the small things, it adds up to lower satisfaction level for me. a 2000 dollar receiver should come with flexiblity imo, but true enough is just an opinion and im sure many will disagree.

1) there are EQ presets which you can customize to your liking and switch between

2) dead beaten horse. doesn't look like they're going to change this anytime soon.

3-5) get a logitech harmony remote.

6) can't please everyone

7) you're the minority. most tv's don't ship with more than 3. use component connections on some of the lesser used gear/not nearly hdmi important. or buy an hdmi switch

8)agreed, sort of. many many many forum threads are out there that can help explain what the manual does not. manuals are not written by or for people. they are the scrolls of the engineering gods and will continue to remain so.

i understand your nitpicks, but that's all they are. this box is not going to be anything like your favorite best buy receivers of yesteryear. you might have to change some habits or ways of thinking in order to maximize the unit ...but rest assured it is very flexible. not really coming down on you or disagreeing, merely trying to add some perspective.

as far as i know the current eq makes you go into the main programming menu to adjust it. my sony had an on the fly eq where u could make all these adjustments quickly from the remote and the unit disply... very quickly. not on a slower graphical user interface. its just one of those things ill need to learn to live with. its a great receiver though

i need to learn how to use these presets you speak of. thats new to me

i understand your nitpicks, but that's all they are. this box is not going to be anything like your favorite best buy receivers of yesteryear. you might have to change some habits or ways of thinking in order to maximize the unit ...but rest assured it is very flexible. not really coming down on you or disagreeing, merely trying to add some perspective.

oh and thanks for not rippen me a new on :)

• Moderators

my sony had an on the fly eq where u could make all these adjustments quickly from the remote and the unit disply... very quickly.

When dealing with two different companies, you can't expect to have the

same menu system. Some will do certain things better than others. My guess is you didn't buy a Marantz for the on the fly eq, you bought it because it is a much better sounding and more up to date features than the Sony.

Hey wuzzer, I'm glad to see that your new receiver is working out. I wanted to say thanks for offering me your 805. I did some measuring, and it turns out that i wouldn't have had enough room for ventilation. I've heard they run a little warm, so I figured I'd wait until I found something a bit smaller. I will tell you that I gave it plenty of thought. Probably too much.

Enjoy the new toy[:)]