HDMI 1.2 Vs. 1.3 question

Uts

Hi guys,

I already have an older Sony HTIB, it's about 7 or 8 years old. The wife & I just bought a house last year, and I want to build a decent HT system. My question is, is there i huge difference between the sound quality between 1.2 & 1.3? I know the 1.2 won't decode some of the newer HD surround formats, but I found a Pioneer Elite receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS 7.1) that is 1.2, & it is brand new for around $500. Is it worth going with a new Onkyo 607, or a 706 (examples), and give up watts, and other options?

90% of it's use will be for movies & TV.

I've been looking at Forte II's, Hersey's, and the KG series. I listened to some F3's a while back, and knew that whatever I bought, it had to be Klipsch.

I'm just starting out, and this will be the step. I don't want to start off regretting my decision in a few months.

I know this is my first post, but I've been visiting this forum for the last couple months. I'd value some of your opinions. [;)]

Thanks,

Bill

Welcome to the forum. I don't think there is a sound difference. A 1.2 HDMI receiver needs the BD or HDDVD players to decode the new sound formats and send them via LPCM while 1.3 receivers have decoding capabilities on board and can take a raw bitstream from the player. With either receiver you will get TrueHD or DTSMA. My friend has the Pioneer 82 and I have the Onkyo 705. Of your choices, I would choose the 82 or the 706. If you are concerned about wattage, you could later add an outboard 3 or 5 channel amp to cure that problem for a few hundred bucks on the used market.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Right now, I'm using my PS3 for BD. I know it has 1.3. I know the PS3 will do the decoding before it's sent to the receiver.

So it looks like I'll be ok if i decide to go with the 82.

I appreciate the explanation.

Bill

thanks for the welcome guys!

As i mentioned before, i was looking at the 82. i was planning on getting it from 6ave, BUT it is retail only, no online sale! I'm kind of bummed, since they are all toward the east coast. I'm still interested in Pioneer's receivers. I used to have some of their car audio stuff, and had pretty good luck with it in the past. This being said, it's not the only brand I'm interested in. It's just the only brand other than Sony I have bought in the past regarding audio.

I'm trying not to go over $500, so I want to get more "bang for my buck", so to speak. Do you guys recommend buying this type of thing on that huge auction site? It seems like you can find some great deals, and save a ton. I have also looked into factory refurbs. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I consider this a viable option?

Any advise, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

I'll be receiving a new Marantz receiver on Thursday, so my Onkyo TX-SR805 will be going up for sale. $450 including shipping. (That is, as long as the Marantz arrives in working order, etc).

I don't think you'll be able to find a better HT receiver for the money.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR805&class=Receiver&p=i

It was a factory refurbished unit I bought directly from Onkyo last July and arrived in 10/10 condition and has never given me a single problem.

Welcome to the forum!

I have been very happy with my series of Yamaha receivers. My current one is a RX-V 663 and last summer it had an MSRP of $500 but I picked it up for $350 including my tip to the best buy employee I knew. It is a fine unit and can be had for less now. I am a long time Yamaha owner (since 1977) and all except for one power amp I bought used is still with me and doing great service. I took the load off the power supply of the 663 with an outboard power amp (Forte 3) and the sound throught my Forte mains, Acadamey center, Quartet sided and KG1.5 rears is just great.

There are quite a few forum members happily using Yamaha AV receivers, and a number are using them as preamps to drive outboard power amps, so that's a way to upgrade if you want more clarity and power sometime in the future.

If you're already looking at Heresy speakers, you're into the Heritage Series. If you have the room and the budget, Heritage is the way to go. Instead of spending money upgrading and upgrading, start near the top and you'll be enjoying your system for many years to come.

Welcome to the forum!

I have been very happy with my series of Yamaha receivers. My current one is a RX-V 663 and last summer it had an MSRP of $500 but I picked it up for $350 including my tip to the best buy employee I knew. It is a fine unit and can be had for less now. I am a long time Yamaha owner (since 1977) and all except for one power amp I bought used is still with me and doing great service. I took the load off the power supply of the 663 with an outboard power amp (Forte 3) and the sound throught my Forte mains, Acadamey center, Quartet sided and KG1.5 rears is just great.

I too am using a Yamaha RX-V663 and am very happy with it. I added an Emotiva XPA-5 amp to take the load off of the receiver as well but who's to say that was necessary or if I just wanted another toy!!! I've been toying with the idea of going to a Emotiva UMC-1 whenever it is released but the 663 does such a good job for me its hard to justify spending more money for a pre/pro.

As far as the HDMI 1.2 Vs. 1.3 question I'm a believer in getting the newest standard hoping the receiver will last a little longer but there is no such thing as future proof. I read HDMI 1.4 already exists.

Since your original post said you would use it 90% for HT I'd say get as modern a receiver as you can with all the bells and whistles. I'd also make sure whatever you buy has pre amp outs, just in case the amp upgrade bug bites you too!!! I wouldn't let the power rating of a receiver be a deciding factor since 1) those numbers are usually pretty overstated and 2) Amps are a cheap easy addition if you find you need/want more power down the road. An amp could last you years and years where surround sound codecs change every few years.

Like Willand said though if you have a BD player that can do the decoding I don't think it would really matter which does the decoding work as it should sound the same in the end.

If I was in the market for a receiver I think I'd take a hard look at Wuzzer's offer, that sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for all of the great advise guys!

This search is starting to turn into a borderline obsession i think[:)]

My wife just brought something to mind. She gets some kind of discount from Harman Kardon through her work. Is this an option i should be exploring? I'll also be looking at the Yamaha's more closely. Thanks for the heads u.

As Carbon brought up, whatever I decide to go with, it will have the pre amp outs.

Islander also brought up the fact that I'm looking at the Heritage line. I know that as of right now, buying these new is out of the question. I havent quite set a budget, but the wife would never agree to such costly investment.That being said, I've been searching the local craigslist, trying to find that elusive "great deal". I don't know why, but these things dont pop up in Michigan like they do everywhere else, or at least it seems that way. last week i had a pair of Forte II's lined up, then the dude sold them the day before I could make it to pick them up.

Wuzzer, keep me posted. I know that the 805 is a very solid receiver. So that could very well be an option.

Thanks everyone,

Bill

• Moderators

My wife just brought something to mind. She gets some kind of discount from Harman Kardon through her work. Is this an option i should be exploring? I'll also be looking at the Yamaha's more closely.

I had an older HK AVR55 driving a pair of Klipsch CF-2's. Phenomenal sounding for 2ch, HT was good. At 55 watts/ch, when I cranked it, the vocals began to break up and sound unclear. If you can get an HK at a good price, it will sound sweet. I have only owned one Yamha (listed in my signature) and I like it a lot. No complaints. To me, HK sounded better in 2ch than the Yamaha with Onkyo being less than the Onkyo. For HT, the Yamaha is spot on, Onkyo was excellent as well. HK sounded very nice for HT, just needed a little more power.

Ok, so I've taken some of your advise, and started to look at some of the Yamaha receivers.

I visited the OneCall website. I saw the 665, and it appears to have everything I'm looking for. The retail was $500, but with the MyPrice i got them down to was $400 with free shipping.

Anybody have this model? Opinions? I've heard some Yamaha's in the past, and thought they were pretty decent.

Also, is OneCall a reputable company? I've never purchased from them before, but heard people in forums mention them before.

As always, thanks for the advise, and helping out[;)]

Bill

Ok, so I've taken some of your advise, and started to look at some of the Yamaha receivers.

I visited the OneCall website. I saw the 665, and it appears to have everything I'm looking for. The retail was $500, but with the MyPrice i got them down to was $400 with free shipping.

Anybody have this model? Opinions? I've heard some Yamaha's in the past, and thought they were pretty decent.

Also, is OneCall a reputable company? I've never purchased from them before, but heard people in forums mention them before.

As always, thanks for the advise, and helping outWink

Bill

What percentage do you listen to as far as movies/music? If you're 90% or more movies I would highly suggest thinking about buying my Onkyo. I'm sure the Yamaha is nice, but for $50 more than the Yamaha you'd be getting a beast of a HT receiver.

• Moderators

I had the Onkyo TX-SR703 and it was fantastic for HT. Lots of power, definitely a great bang for your buck. It wasn't as exciting to me for 2ch but if you are mainly using it for movies, the Onkyo is definitely a great receiver.