Crown and QSC amps

jbpjr

haven’t heard of these being recommended or used much for multi channel in residential, other than powering subs. looking at amps and just wondering if these should be considered. thought i’d ask over here in 2-channel since they seem to be more widely used. any reasons why these amps won’t work well for home theater use? thanks

I was able to do a direct comparison between a QSC PLX amp and a pair of Bryston 7B ST's on some very high resolution speakers (B&W's). The QSC did very well considering the price. Midrange vocals sounded more natural on the Brystons and overall more detail on the Brystons, but that said, the PLX was 1/6th the used price of the Brystons and abot 1/12th the price of new Bryston amps.

And, don't take this the wrng way, you may not notice the difference on speakers with less resolution than the BW's. In other words go for it.

I use a QSC 1202 in my office 9 hours a day with Musical Fidelity gear and a nice pair of EAR Design 5's. Great amp that had some serious authority with my old K Horns.

They work great in a multi-channel setup. Be sure to swap the fans for quieter ones and give them ventilation. I use the QSC's with the Reference 7 series and absolutely love them. It's a great match, they're a very smooth amp with tons of wattage for the dynamic swings that you get with HT.

post-15193-13819475645468_thumb.jpg

They work great in a multi-channel setup. Be sure to swap the fans for quieter ones and give them ventilation. I use the QSC's with the Reference 7 series and absolutely love them. It's a great match, they're a very smooth amp with tons of wattage for the dynamic swings that you get with HT.

nice set up. I plan to move to a seperate processer which can handle balanced interconnects with Crown in the near future to replace the Denon I am currently using.

I am not sure about QSC, I have only had the fan come on once and it was not at a volume for a period of time I am not likely to repeat. I also have the advantage that the back part my my home theater run next to a utility closet which is where I would set up the seperate amps anyway out of site.

I am not sure about QSC, I have only had the fan come on once and it was not at a volume for a period of time I am not likely to repeat. I also have the advantage that the back part my my home theater run next to a utility closet which is where I would set up the seperate amps anyway out of site.

The PLX2's fans run constantly and will kick up to a higher speed if necessary. With the aftermarket fans, they're virtually inaudible.

nice set up. I plan to move to a seperate processer which can handle balanced interconnects with Crown in the near future to replace the Denon I am currently using.

are their compatibility issues when using pro sound amps with consumer level processor/receiver? do the xlr to rca adapters cause problems?

are their compatibility issues when using pro sound amps with consumer level processor/receiver? do the xlr to rca adapters cause problems?

IMO if you use amps that take balanced inputs, then use a pre/processer that does too. ie used balanced interconnects straight through. Others will disagree, its the way I am personally gonna go and their are many pre/processers on the market that handle balanced.

Teach us about the fans -- where did you get the replacments and what did you use? Are they a pain to install?

I got the 24 volt replacements from Digi-Key, pn P9739-ND. The old fans unplug from the circuit board. I made a connector using some single pin connectors that I had. They're about the size of a portable phone battery plug. I could have just cut the wires and soldered the new ones in but I wanted to keep the old fans and plugs intact. Someone with your skills should have no problem. I'll post a couple of pics. the amps have to be flipped over on their tops to dis-assemble. They're upside down for some reason. The first pic is with the cover off.

post-15193-13819475652658_thumb.jpg

This is with the deflector removed. The fan is held in place with plastic push pin type retainers. Use care when removing so you don't tear the cardboard. You can see the circuit board, where the fans plug into, next to the fan.

post-15193-13819475663576_thumb.jpg

The pro amps take a preamp that has some kick to drive themt o full potential. There is a guy in Denver who will change teh input resistors to make them an easy load for lower powered preamps. Google it. Here is a link:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103505

As far as teh whole RCA / XLR thing, using an RCA to XLR cable will reduce noise in your system. I learned this reading white papers on Jensen Transformer's site. My amps do not have a gound lift switch like my old ones and they have a huge hum when just plugged in to the wall and using RCA inputs. I changed to XLR input and just like the site said, it did work.

That said, if you can go with XLR output to XLR input do so. My preamp, which I will not change, only has RCA outs, so I run them into my power amp XLR inputs. works very well.