Logitech Harmony or one of those "special" universal remotes

MistaChy

I was concidering one of these awhile back but lost the idea

http://www.universalremote.com/consumer/products.php

but thaddeus mentioned the harmony and brought it back to life. how do these compare. i want a really fancy remote that can do back flips and operate the hubble telescope from my bed room.

really though, i need something fancy enough to be very flexible and expandable to control lighting in the future. can you guys point me in the right direction.

I've got a Harmony 880. Although it won't do backflips (without help) it will do everything else you ask. If the component you want to run has a remote (like a Lutron lighting system) it will run it. On top of that, their tech assistance is top notch. All you do is pick an activity from the main screen, like watch a BlueRay disc, and it does all the switching for you. That includes dimming the lights if you have that gear.

Back when I was a rich man [;)] I had a dedicated 7.1 HT room with a FP system. There was (3) different light circuits all on their own dimmer. The dimmers I used were these:

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/pagebuynow.aspx?id=16947

The room was wired such that there was an IR receiver "eye" at the front of the room that relayed the remotes IR commands to the dimmers, the A/V equipment, and the projector. The remote was a Harmony 880. Once setup, I pushed the button associated with the "Watch Movie" icon and the following happened: projector turned on, pre/pro turned on (+12V trigger out turned on both power amps) and set input to DVD player, DVD player turned on, house lights went from full-on to scene 1 (each of the 3 light circuits were set at different dimmer levels for scene 1). The 880 also allowed me to have additional scene levels and command them manually.

The IR distribution stuff was from these folks: http://www.xantech.com/

BTW - there is no A/V equipment that I am aware of that can be commanded via RF. What happens is that an RF module converts the RF signal to an IR output which is sent to an emitter that commands the A/V unit. I considered an RF system due to the location of my A/V gear, but found out that in real life there was no advantage to RF versus IR. YMMV

Tom

• Moderators

i want a really fancy remote that can do back flips and operate the hubble telescope from my bed room.

You might want to try contacting NASA. [:P]

Some people praise Harmony, I've heard installers bash them saying they are nothing but junk. Maybe it's because they do not carry them and want to push their vendor's remote. I'm not sure, I've yet to purchase my first remote. I'm looking at probably the Harmony One. Just about any of the higher end models will work well. Some are RF capable, the Harmony One is not but these are:

Harmony 1100

Harmony 890

i have the harmony 880 (had the 550 till my jerk of a dog ate it) and am in love. The only limitation i have currently is my ability to control the ps3, however logitech recently released an ir-bluetooth module for use with the ps3 that should correct my problem. they take a bit of time and patience to setup and configure how you would like, but all in all it's a dream.

My current remote and vote is for the 880. My lights light, my music plays and tele visions. One fault is the charging cradle to remote spring tension that takes either a small weight on the remote when in the cradle or a couple of pieces of wadding in the spring contacts to increase throw but I only charge mine once every two or three weeks (and yes I sent the first one back to get the new version that doesn't do this). My son can remote the PS3 by himself thank you very much, I don't use it.

IR sensors aroound the room and I can use it anywhere, add a couple of 12vdc trigger controllers and it changes from HT to 2 channel power up. If I had the RF need I would do the RF version of the 880 (890?).

Some people praise Harmony, I've heard installers bash them saying they are nothing but junk. Maybe it's because they do not carry them and want to push their vendor's remote. I'm not sure, I've yet to purchase my first remote. I'm looking at probably the Harmony One. Just about any of the higher end models will work well. Some are RF capable, the Harmony One is not but these are:

Harmony 1100

Harmony 890

can you use the playstation blu ray with these remotes???

URC remotes (Universal Remote Control) are far better than Harmony, however you want to get a remote from URC's professional line not their consumer line.

http://www.universalremote.com/pro/products.php

I have both a URC MX-800 and a URC MX-850 these are extremely well made well designed high quality remotes. I like the way these are programed and the custom programing capabilities. Very comfortable to use one handed and most operations can be done without looking at the remote.

The design and build quality of URC remotes is excellent, they virtually last forever if not abused.

I have 2 MX 500, 1 MX 350 and 1 Harmony 880.

I do like the MX 500 the best, a simple easy to use and reliable remote. It does everything as well if not better compare to the Harmony.

I was not impressed at all by the 880, it does the job but it isnot as simple to use and does not always remember all the functions

The orignal remote for the PS 3 is bluetooth so the harmony will not work. You can buy a third party IR remote with a USB adapter to plug in directly into the PS3, the harmony remote will work with that one.

• Moderators

can you use the playstation blu ray with these remotes???

Not natively. Since the PS3 is blutooth, the Harmony remotes cannot control them without a separate device. Two options that I have found.

Logitech just released this adapter that allows you to control the PS3.

Nyko BluWave Remote. This remote is IR and has a USB port that plugs into the PS3 that converts the IR to Bluetooth allowing you to control the PS3. Downside to this method is that it takes up a USB port and I believe it still cannot power on the PS3 since the USB ports are disabled when the PS3 is in standby mode.

Looks like they sell the Nyko BluWave at Best Buy too.

I have a URC MX-900 with the MRF-350 and love it. It was nice to put away the 5 or 6 remotes and just use the 1. URC does not release the software to the consumer so be sure and find a GOOD programmer. Some people have had luck getting their dealer to release the software to them, but be aware it does not come with the remote. This is true for the professional line and I am not sure about the consumer line. For a nice review see the link below.

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx900/index.html

I have a URC MX-900 with the MRF-350 and love it. It was nice to put away the 5 or 6 remotes and just use the 1. URC does not release the software to the consumer so be sure and find a GOOD programmer. Some people have had luck getting their dealer to release the software to them, but be aware it does not come with the remote. This is true for the professional line and I am not sure about the consumer line. For a nice review see the link below.

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx900/index.html

I think URC's software policy is ridiculous, that said it is easy to get the software when you buy the remote you just need to be sure you will get the update-able software. URC does provide non update-able software on their web site if you register with your remotes serial number. URC also updates this so you can redownload the non update-able software if an update is made. The better software has a "Live Update" feature included in the software allowing you to check for and make updates when they become available within the software itself.

URC's software policy is horrible supporting high priced professional installers over "do it yourself" hobbiests, however URC does make the best remote and best software of any other remote I have seen. URC is a professional high quality remote which makes Harmony look, feel and perform more like a toy. Harmony is nice but URC is another step above.

URC remotes are excellent performing and the software is really well designed. While not something for the complete novice it is really not hard to program and for a hobbiest who wants to get the most from their remote it is excellent!

I use my URC remotes (both are programmed identically, 2 because they are kept in seperate locations) to control my complete home theater, music server, subwoofer, HTPC computer, air conditioning and every light throughout my home. Also with the RF ability I can use the remotes from anywhere in my home and never need to worry about pointing the remote. I love the ease of use to control my whole system by one remote that can do everything even better than original remotes and I have programmed them to do things very simply, easy to understand and usually with one button push.

I've got a Harmony One, I've had other Harmony remotes in the past and have all done well. They are difficult to program at first but once you figure it out it's easy enough.

My one complaint with the Harmony remotes is the lack of the user to do any customizing/programming. The Harmony worked great until I got a device (Aragon Stage One) that was not fully supported. Since then I've looked into other remotes that allow for the user to have access to the remotes software for custom commands. Eventualyl I will replace the Harmony with a URC or something similiar.

I think the Logitech remotes are suited well for most average consumers/hobbiests.

okay, u guys are scaring me. whats this about not getting software or needing updateable software. i dont understand. im pretty sure now that i want a URC remote. but whats all the software caution about?

Don't worry about it too much.

URC used to have its software the updateable version (only one available at that time) available for anyone to download right from their website. This was great and how it should still be. You could easily get the software any time you might need it and even download it before you bought their remote to see what it was like. The software also featured something called "Live Update" which you could use to check for and obtain software updates right within the software itself to always have the latest software.

About 3 years ago URC removed everyones "Live Update" (through an update) and took the software off their website. Then if you wanted to get back the software with "Live Update" or even get the software period at that time (URC does not package the software with the remote) URC said you could only get the software from the authorized dealer you bought the remote from. This caused a ton of problems and left a lot of customers without software or updateability and very angry.

URC did this because their market strategy for the professional line of remotes is for the remotes to be purchased through custom installers who usually charge full MSRP and require their programming service which is very expensive often $200-$500 just to program a remote plus the full MSRP for the remote.

Anyway many sellers of URC remotes both authorized and unauthorized will give you the updateable software, but you now need to be sure you will get this when you buy your remote as many sellers will not give you the software. Also URC has now on their website downloads available for the non updateable software however this also requires the remote serial number to register to receive the download.

So while URC does make an extremely good product, their professional line of remotes and the software is the best remote available in my opinion. However it is also my opinion that URC really treated their customers very poorly when they made this software policy change 3 years ago.

Anyway you can still buy a URC professional remote for far below MSRP and get the "updateable" software to program it yourself, but now you need to shop for your remote very carefully.