OT: Jewelry Heist

Coytee

This is a bit bizarre.

My wife works at a local higher end jewelry store. This is a story of "he said that someone else said that someone else said...." so I am not sure of just how accurate the base story is.

As it gets to me...

My wifes store has a customer who's been shopping there for a while. Not necessarily a regular but, someone they know and someone who buys certain brands.

Seems these people (supposedly) took their merchandise to a local appriser. Probably to get things appraised for insurance purposes.

Evidently, a week or so later, they must have gone out to dinner. I don't know those details. The story for me begins with them discovering that virtually ALL of the wifes David Yurman or John Hardy (I forget which brand) was missing.

Seems someone had ostensibly broken into their home, worked their way to presumably the bedroom where her jewelry was kept. This person, with all her jewelry in front of them, ONLY went to the (Hardy or Yurman) merchandise which happened to be in pouches or even hinged boxes.... and removed it.

This thief then put the pouch/box BACK into its place and left virtually every other piece of jewlery she owned, intact.

This couple calls the police and a detective comes out to visit. Upon seeing the recent appraisals, upon seeing ONLY the specific merchandise that came from my wifes store stolen, the detective then supposedly told these people (paraphrased I'm sure) "Well....this looks like an inside job.... my guess is someone from (my wifes store) knew you had this merchandise and either stole it themselves or hired someone else to do so"

So, this couple now barge into my wifes store, accusing "them" (in a generic sense) of stealing the wifes jewlery and that they had called the police and the detective thought someone from the store knew something about this.

Seems everyone at the store just stood with jaws dropped....

My wife was incredulous to me... "you mean they think WE went to their house, knew exactly where her stuff was, went through her things and REMOVED our merchanidise from the boxes and replaced everything back to where it was?????"

That is the story this couple is sticking with.

My guess is.... one of them, probalby the husband, is in some financial straits and has hocked these items himself but not told the wife so he'd not get in trouble.

Of course, I have no idea if I'm right however it seems FAR more plausable that this is the case instead of someone from the store somehow knowing exactly where to look and removed only the merchanidise they sold at this store....why not take it ALL? Why not go after some of the heavy hitter customers who walk in every 2 months and spend $25K?

To me, this story has so many holes in it... I'm even wondering if it's true about the detective part. I might add that, up to this moment in time, I do not think the police have yet to show at the store to have a 'discussion' with the store manager.

Weird people out there...

If this really did happen and the detective really did say he felt it was an "inside job" with someone at my wifes work, why would this couple come in with accusations blaring which would only serve as a tipoff to a guilty person to ditch any goods?

sigh.

• Moderators

My guess is.... one of them, probalby the husband, is in some financial straits and has hocked these items himself but not told the wife so he'd not get in trouble.

I think you got it, anyone else would take anything that looks valuable, If your breaking into a house after jewelry take anything you can sell. Maby Paris Hilton did the job and only likes those brands, a criminal would take anything and not bother to put things back in place. Sounds like the husband didn't want her to notice anytime soon !

I would think a good detective would start with there personal financial records in a case like this ?

Yep, that's my line of thinking. What kind of idiot thief would open jewelry boxes, remove items and replace boxes back where they were....and on top of that, ONLY (evidently) choose a specific brand.

Curious indeed!

husband and wife both idiots and they deserve each other?

the detective seems way off base on this one, but some forum member who's a member of law enforcement community will come along in a minute and tell us a) all cops are trustworthy as Boy Scouts or B) all cops are crooked and you'll not get any help from them.

We're speaker guys- we're not experts in these matters.

hint: the appraiser did it

M

This couple calls the police and a detective comes out to visit. Upon seeing the recent appraisals, upon seeing ONLY the specific merchandise that came from my wifes store stolen, the detective then supposedly told these people (paraphrased I'm sure) "Well....this looks like an inside job.... my guess is someone from (my wifes store) knew you had this merchandise and either stole it themselves or hired someone else to do so"

Well, that is enough to convict on isn't it? If any of this is true and the couple is smart, wouldn't you go and speak confidentially to the store owner? I fthere was a thief there why advertise?

In any event, the husband, child or maid has a drug habbit, or other vice and hocked it to pay for their habit.

That is a bizarro story.

I think you've got it nailed about the inside job. It was the husband or someone else with access to the house.

As someone mentioned above, there is no way a regular thief would take the time to put boxes and such back in place,

Putting the things back in place was probably to delay discovery of the missing jewelry. It will probably be the case that the insurance investigator will be the one really motivated to get to the bottom of things.

I asked the wife for an update just a while ago. Seems since they walked in the other day, "screaming" fire & brimstone (I'm sure that's overly dramatic)

None the less... I understand that since then he (husband) has spoken more directly with the store manager. Everyone has adopted a "the heck if I'm going to wait on you now, you'll only susepct me as your thief"

Anyways, the husbands attitude has evidently calmed like 99%. I don't know if he's realizing what a dolt he was the other day (if he's innocent of anything) or perhaps realized that a better acting job might make his story more believable (if he's knowledgable of something nefarious)

I don't think the detective has actually shown up although I think he's called and talked to the store manager. What I find interesting is, it was the husband & wife who said the detective said it was an inside job... seems no one else has heard the detective say that.

I doubt I'll ever know the actual end of this story but if I find out, I'll pass it on.

bizarro is a nice way to put it [Y]

Yeah, the whole idea of a "detective" blurting out that it was an inside job is a little odd to me. Even if he thought that's what it was, I doubt he'd say it. A detective gets to be a detective because he is a little smarter than that. I would think even a rookie uniformed officer would know better than to say that.

husband and wife both idiots and they deserve each other?

the detective seems way off base on this one, but some forum member who's a member of law enforcement community will come along in a minute and tell us a) all cops are trustworthy as Boy Scouts or B) all cops are crooked and you'll not get any help from them.

We're speaker guys- we're not experts in these matters.

hint: the appraiser did it

M

WOW Michael...you mean members of Law Enforcement aren't human and being so reflect members of society encompassing all behaviors???...[:D]

...besides...we know the Butler did it...

Bill

Jewelry heists are often very peculiar because the heisters tend to be "in the know" about precisely what they want and very clever about ways to get it.

I heard that a woman wanting a particular peice had a copy made, took the hidden copy to the store, asked to examine the original so she could make the swap without detection. While trying it on (it was a ring), she pretended it was sticking a bit on her finger and she put that finger in her mouth to help pull the ring off. She had the copy in her mouth, and what appeared to finally come free off of her finger was the copy, which she lay back on the couter; then she walked out with the original in her mouth.