Communion Table

bluesboy

Well, I got the table done. I think it came out pretty good. It's been delivered and everything is cool with that. Here's the deal with the shop. When I moved in there 11 years ago the facility had just been built and was zoned for storage only. I told the owner at that time that I wanted to use the space to set up a small work shop. He was fine with that as he wanted to get his units rented. Most of what I built in there was for my own personal use such as speakers and furniture for the house. As time went on people saw what I was doing and rented space to set up their own shops. So we evolved to a point where half of the tennets were running tools in their units. That came to an end Wedsday when the fire marshall showed up to do an inspection on outdoor fire extingishers and found us running a full fledged wood shop. He instantly got a hard on for us and turned us in to zoning and building inspections as there was never a permit pulled for the electrical upgrades that we did.

post-15074-13819477146646_thumb.jpg

Here's another shot of the table. We spent the day ripping out a thousand dollars worth of electrical work so that the building inspector wont have anything to write us up for next week. The good news is that I think we might have a line on another space that we set up in. I'd like to thank you guys for your kind words and concern. It's been a rough couple of days.

post-15074-13819477153836_thumb.jpg

Major bummer bluesboy[:(] I don't envy you moving all that equipment out.

I am the owner of two pair of LS hybrids that came out of that little shop.

We can only hope that this change will be for the better[:)]

Very nice work on the table!

I understand why we have electrical codes but many jurisdictions will let you get permitted after the fact if a licensed electrician goes through the installation and signs off or makes changes to bring you up to code.

In N'awlins we would just pass the hat among the tenants and buy the inspector some Saints tickets, and voila, we'd have our permit. [;)]

That table is beautiful. I remember that heart pine used to be very common for bed slats. A buddy of mine laminated several slats together and made a highchair tray for his first baby. An heirloom that only cost a little glue, hardware and labor of love.

Pardon the off topic but you NC folks might like this. My wife and I found this old library table in a shed down in Wilmington with the ceramic casters and brass drawer locks. Family hierloom from her father's side. The thing looked awful. I said -no way that thing is coming home in my truck- straight to the fire pit. I lost the argument. She brought the thing home and took it to some high dollar antique finisher in Waxhaw. I mean this thing had pot/pan burn marks from bieng used in a old kitchen. One of the corners had been whittled on with a pocket knife. Real down home POS. Then the refinisher approached me about buying the table.We became suspicious and did some research on it. Turns out these "primitive" tables had a following and were worth big money in certain configurations. We decided to put into the kitchen against my wishes but it was easier than fighting about it. Further research revealed that this thing was used in some old school house around the turn of the century. It was also used as a blueprint table in a makeshift command post down in the eastern part of the state when HWY 74 was first being built . The thing seats like 8-10 people and is kind of cool knowing the origin. We have turned down some nice cash offers for it. Of course I look like a complete @ss for wanting to burn it and I will never allowed to forget it.

I despise city inspectors like the one you described. Small brains and way too much power.Took somebody 11 years to figure that out?? Hope it works out.

Well, life goes on. I started work on a set of cabinets today in my driveway. It will have to do untill we can get stuff moved to a new space. It's a funny looking set up. I should have taken a picture. Maybe I will tommorow.

Winchester, did you take any pictures of your table? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Hope your situation works out- From personal expierence - I hate those hall monitor wannabe pricks

The table is as described - Primitive- pine - came from a school house in Byrdville??- towards Whiteville??? I think that is right but not sure- wife knows. Her family- the Russ clan -were involved in local politics and had a major role in building US 74. This was her grandads table that he dragged around- post schoolhouse days to spread buleprints during the road construction.It is in my kitchen. I am a major sorry @ss for not posting pictures on this forum while enjoying others. I will make a major effort to post this one. As a wood worker you would appreciate this as it looks like somebody made it with a hawkbill pocket knife.