Purchasing a New Harley.....

So I'm in the process of pruchasing a new Harley anyone have any thoughts or reccomendations for me. It's a 2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom, I've never riden a street bike before, with the exception of this weekend when my buddy brought his new bike over an 09 Street Glide (talk about power). I've grown up riding dirt bike.

Should go get the bike either wed or thursday after work.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well....since you asked.You can get a Dyna a few years old for well under $10k,maybe already loaded with chrome etc...My friend bought new,then spent some more,I bought used with 3k in chrome,V&H longshots already on,he's wishin' he would have bought one used.

That said,nothin' wrong with new,ride safe and often,congrats.

Take the MSF school, that's a must do. I'm not your mother but please wear full riding gear (that's not chaps and a muscle tee shirt either).

Good advice. A Super Glide's not a dirt bike and doesn't handle like one. And if you've ridden and fallen off a dirt bike, you know that assless chaps aren't really safety gear, since they don't protect the body part you usually land on.

I looked at buying used but couldn't justify to myself the prices. There was only 1 or 2k difference between the new and used, so I went new. I'm always weary about buying used as you never know how the other owner was but my luck has been pretty good with used gear. either way I'm sure I'll be happy. has alot of chrome already. Just need a sissy bar for the wife and maybe some forward controls but we'll see.

I looked at buying used but couldn't justify to myself the prices. There was only 1 or 2k difference between the new and used, so I went new. Just need a sissy bar for the wife and maybe some forward controls but we'll see.

Like I said nothing wrong with new.For anyone else with less budget.This is a 2006 I found in 30 seconds,the current design w/12k miles,asking price,$9,300.I have no idea what new $ is but it's prolly more than 1 or 2k more,maybe 4-5k? a nice jet ski?

Seller Photo

RockOn -

Enjoy this. There is nothing quite like taking delivery of a new, shiny Harley. In 2001, I bought a new Heritage Softail. It was my first bike, road or otherwise. While patiently awaiting delivery (back then it was a 6-month wait after I ordered it to my specs), I took the MSF course. It was a full weekend (Friday eve, then all day Sat and Sun). It was a fantastic course, and I highly recommend it to anyone who rides or wants to ride. It was the single most important thing I have done with respect to riding a bike safely and somewhat confidently. Secondly, as many have stated above, ride with the correct gear. Get some good gloves and some good boots and always ride leather body coverings. Not sure what the helmet laws are where you live, and I won't soapbox, but please consider wearing a helmet.

Unfortunately, here in Hampton Roads, we have a lot of young Military men who think they are invincible, and just this past week we have had 4 or 5 motorcycle deaths on our roads (all were single vehicle accidents) because these kids mixed excessive speed, cockiness, and inexperience.

That being said, ride safe, keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up, and don't get too many bugs in your teeth from your permanent smile while you're out on the road.

Chuck

So I'm in the process of pruchasing a new Harley anyone have any thoughts or reccomendations for me. It's a 2009 Dyna Super Glide Custom, I've never riden a street bike before, with the exception of this weekend when my buddy brought his new bike over an 09 Street Glide (talk about power). I've grown up riding dirt bike.

Should go get the bike either wed or thursday after work.

My mother is 73 years old and just bought a 650 Shadow this past winter (her first bike ever)

She took the corse last year and passed, but retook it again this year as well. (I would recomend this as well, as a heavy street bike with tourque on stones is nothing like a light and agile dirt bike)

I would also advise you lay your bike over gently in the grass, if you can't pick it up, you have no buiseness on it!! (JMHO)

I have a good friend that is selling his Dyna Wideglide at the moment.

(talk about power) Not to make fun of this statement, but saying a harley has power is like saying how awsome Bose speakers are!! Do they have resale value?? Yes!, Do they look good?? Yes!!, Do they get the Girl, yes, but they are getting a bit common., Do they have sex appeal?? Well the vibration especially on older models, will save you money on condoms because the vibration will make you go sterile, you will also save money on batteries for you girl!! But as for Power?? No, no they don't. I ride a Yamaha V-Max with aftermarket intake, larger Kehin 39mm flat slides, 3 inch over swin arm, custom exhaust, ported head with larger valves and cams, air shifter, totally custom dual stage nitrous system. I have $27,000 in modifications on this bike. Email me at rgordon@watchtv.net if you would like to see any pictures.

I am considdering adding a turbo with the nitrous!! [6]

Roger

I keep 4 tires on the ground but a buddy here in Indy is a big chrome Harley guy. He recently had to lay his down when an accident occurred in front of him on a city street. He slid some 60 feet in shorts and flip flops. Tore up about a football sized chunk of thigh, elbow, shoulder, and still walks with a limp a month later.

I keep 4 tires on the ground but a buddy here in Indy is a big chrome Harley guy. He recently had to lay his down when an accident occurred in front of him on a city street. He slid some 60 feet in shorts and flip flops. Tore up about a football sized chunk of thigh, elbow, shoulder, and still walks with a limp a month later.

Michael,

Can you picture my mom on her bike???

Roger

A lady nearby bought a Harley recently. She had a friend deliver her to the bike (her first) and she proceeded to ride it home. It was her first ride as a new Harley owner. Just a few miles down the road and a sharp turn was all it took for her to ride right into oncoming traffic. She never recovered. Please be careful. Take the class. DO NOT RIDE THAT BIKE WEARING GYM SHORTS AND FLIPFLOPS!

I got the bike for 10999, and the other bikes that interested with me were low mileage but still in the 8.5 to 9.5 range and were more than a few years old. So i figured what the heck and went new.

Considering the base msrp is $12,999.00 I'd call that a good enough deal to go new,enjoy.