Texting Tow Truck Twit

Islander

Now, we all know it's dangerous to talk on a cell phone while driving, and much more dangerous to be texting while driving, but has anyone figured out how dangerous it would be to talk on a cell phone while texting while driving a tow truck with 2 vehicles on board?

Very dangerous, apparently: http://blogs.carpoint.ca/2009/08/texting-tow-truck-twit-splashes-down-in-pool.html

I see idiots texting behind the wheel driving, driving down the interstate all the time!!!!

I think we should pass a law to just let us shoot them in the head!!! It would save a lot of lives in the future.....sure shooting at a moving vehicle could cause collateral damage, but lets create some jobs and spend some federal bailout money on building "kill ramps" ...you know similar to the "runaway brake" ramps on steep mountain passages for trucks.

Jobs created, lives saved, insurance rates go down....it's a win win situation!!!!!

I was in a Cayene loaner 2 days ago- a car crossed 2 lanes of traffic all the way to the right--- my lane. I slammed on brakes deployed the antilock brakes and the dsc. missed him by less than a foot. Thank god I was in a high performance car and I was paying attention.The guy had some kind of temporary tag which meant. most likely .no insurance. Several cars spun out on the middle of a 4 lane highway. He did not even look up. Did not care. He was.. I swear.... texting and looking at a map at the same time. These people should have their license pulled on the spot. This is total insanity.. worse than drunks.

I opened the window at the stoplight and called him everthing that I could think of - He did not even look up--- kept on texting.

It's one thing to be chatting on a cell phone while driving, which takes one hand and a good portion of the brain away from the task of piloting the vehicle.

Texting is something altogether different and stupid, requiring BOTH hands, eyes, and brain. There is nearly no connection between the driver and the automobile. What are people thinking? It's especially aggravating in rush hour traffic or in construction zones when there is known danger all around.

I just lay on the horn but usually they're blissfully unaware that there's anyone else on the roadway.

IDIOTS!

Texting is something altogether different and stupid, requiring BOTH hands, eyes, and brain. There is nearly no connection between the driver and the automobile. What are people thinking?

Right you are. I see it everyday, and considering it's against the law in these parts (hands free use only) it amazes me with the frequency in which I see it. The feds are currently looking at making it a law in every state... but it will only work if the penalties are severe. I think fenderbender had the right idea... get your guns out.

sure shooting at a moving vehicle could cause collateral damage

It would also serve to hone ones marksmanship. If you ever had an intruder in your home you'd be even more likely to hit them since they'd be moving slower.

Just a thought on multiple benefits.

post-15072-13819488681894_thumb.gif

I recently got my iphone. Was driving with a trailer. Had to look at screen to dial a number on it, no touch feel on it. Before I even knew it, I had wandered over to the right shoulder and 2 right wheels went into grass for a second. Thank God I drive a very heavy truck and no one was around. Scared the crud out of me! I thought, how could you text, which requires even more looking? Left an impression on me. They have started doing some studies that appear to show that drunk drivers respond better and quicker to texters. Now, you are really going to have to look out for the ultimate: Drunk Texting Drivers!

Texting is something altogether different and stupid, requiring BOTH hands, eyes, and brain. There is nearly no connection between the driver and the automobile. What are people thinking?

Right you are. I see it everyday, and considering it's against the law in these parts (hands free use only) it amazes me with the frequency in which I see it. The feds are currently looking at making it a law in every state... but it will only work if the penalties are severe. I think fenderbender had the right idea... get your guns out.

Unfortunately its considered a secondary offense and not a first offense so they technically cannot pull over a person just for texting, thoughcareless driving is.....

Texting is something altogether different and stupid, requiring BOTH hands, eyes, and brain.

I text all the time with one hand, thank you very much. As do most teens...

Doing it while driving is pretty hard, but I have a phone with buttons, and can get a text message input without looking at the phone at all. Still, I pull over to send a msg.

Bruce

Just a coincidetal side note: That tow truck is a GM 560 series that I built in the Flint Truck Assembly Plant. We ran the last one on July 31, and GM has no plans to build them anymore. That makes the truck a sorta collector's item, don'tcha think? -kevin

Bruce, you have just been lucky so far.

Assign a family member the task of notifying this forum after the accident that you will cause in the near future.

Oh, I just realized that you are a teenager. Teens are so smart and experienced in everything, so carry on. And my apoligies for thinking you were kind of foolish for defending texting while driving, I didn't realize that you were a teenager who knows everything and can do anything.

I will tell my brother and his family who all drive on the roads of Georgia to be on the lookout for you and marvel at your years (three at most) behind the wheel.

Bruce, you have just been lucky so far.

Assign a family member the task of notifying this forum after the accident that you will cause in the near future.

Oh, I just realized that you are a teenager. Teens are so smart and experienced in everything, so carry on. And my apoligies for thinking you were kind of foolish for defending texting while driving, I didn't realize that you were a teenager who knows everything and can do anything.

I will tell my brother and his family who all drive on the roads of Georgia to be on the lookout for you and marvel at your years (three at most) behind the wheel.

I guess you haven't learned how to read yet... you might re-read my post. I wasn't defending texting while driving at all. I was just pointing out, in response to Michael's post, that it doesn't always require two hands to text, and most teenagers learned to text without looking at their phones. They do this in school all the time, and no one is the wiser.

If you read again, you will notice I said I pull over to send messages.

I do often feel like a teenager, but I attribute that to my girlfriend (seen with me in my avatar). I hit 60 this year, so I am quite a bit past the teen years.

Sarcasm now turned OFF...