1911 Purchase and Value

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you plan on carrying a 1911, then you need to buy something that you know with absolute certainty will fire every time you pull the trigger. Don't even think about carrying it until you have a thousand rounds or more through with the ammo you plan on using. Any FTFs or FTEs need to be addressed by a competent gunsmith.

I'm strictly a 1911 shooter, and have been for 20 years or more. I've shot a bunch of them, and though I enjoy shooting them very much -- I've never shot one in the below $1K range I would trust my life with. Even with the very fine examples I currently own, I would probably opt for a Glock 19 for carry.

The XDs are good shooters, but I don't like the high bore axis which results in a quite a bit of muzzle flip. I have a heck of a time getting them back on the paper for quick follow up shots.

That is a clean looking weapon! Dan Wesson Valor?

I am noticing a trend here...You guys use Big Klipsch Speakers and Big Caliber Pistols. Is that the go big or stay home theory. :)

I can keep the groups on a pie plate at 10 yds in rapid fire mode with the XD9 (16 shot clip). I definately need to shoot more models. "How to do this without buying?"... is an issue. I am not going to go to Don's Guns in INDY and renting them...It is about a $100 shoot since you have to buy their ammo and rent their indoor range. I would love to shoot some combat comitition also. I have found nothing to replace simulated situations when shooting 3D archery. I am sure that pistols would be the same way.

Dean- may have said this before. but OMG what a beauty.

The series 70/80 refers to modern colt type 1911 production pistols

The series 70s were the older and IMHO sweeter colts- I think that all non colt military 1911 were series 70 type examples

the series 80s were introduced - I think with some internal saftey features- which changed the trigger mechanism

I am pretty sure that the Gold cups were made both ways- making some of the earlier ones more desirable- I assume for that reason. The new 1911 high end guns are so worked over that triggers - fit and finish is no longer an issue- just open your wallet and you can pick your own tune. I have been buying selling shooting 45s for 30 years. I have owned well over 100 but have only a few left at this point. I went HK pistol and SxS shotgun crazy a few years back and sold many of the 1911s to finance my addictions. I also own a bunch of pre 64 model 70s.

Spare parts for 1911 may fit off the shelf or may have to be fitted by a gunsmith. I have bought most of mine form a gunsmith over the years. Now I just order whatever I want form the kimber custom shop. I have found some discounted kimbers recently. They can get pretty pricey but a real deal for what you get.

Hey Thumper,

I didn't read everything on this thread but here's a couple of suggestions. A full size 1911 is a big gun and unless you want to wear suspenders the big pig will pull your pants right off! A real small 45 (officers size) is much more manageable for carry. I think a subcompact 9mm is even better for carry. The big guns start to be a pain if they are too big and you want to wear it all day.

I have a SS Gold Cup, it's a nice gun but there are many others that are just as good.

A 22 conversion is fun but not a good or economical way to go, nor is a Mosquito. I just bought a Ruger 22/45 4 inch Bull, that makes 7 Ruger 22s for me, they are had to beat, I love them. They are about 300 bucks for a target 22/45, not a bad deal.

Thanks, Russ

Prof. Thump,

The blued 1911 is a WW I model as it lacks the dished out trigger opening. It has the shorter grip safety charateristic of the 1911. The 1911A1 issued after WW I extended the grip saftey to avoid hammer bite, added the short trigger, dished the trigger opening and arched the mainspring housing.

I'm not a fan of WW I metal as it may crystalize due to age.

The nickle plated 1970 Gold Cup is nice, very nice, but nickle plate can have issues. It reflcts sun light, can tell folks where you are and may wear in a holster or even peel.

I loved my 1911s, but they are a bit obsolete.

Bill

Hey Thumper,

I didn't read everything on this thread but here's a couple of suggestions. A full size 1911 is a big gun and unless you want to wear suspenders the big pig will pull your pants right off! A real small 45 (officers size) is much more manageable for carry. I think a subcompact 9mm is even better for carry. The big guns start to be a pain if they are too big and you want to wear it all day.

I have a SS Gold Cup, it's a nice gun but there are many others that are just as good.

A 22 conversion is fun but not a good or economical way to go, nor is a Mosquito. I just bought a Ruger 22/45 4 inch Bull, that makes 7 Ruger 22s for me, they are had to beat, I love them. They are about 300 bucks for a target 22/45, not a bad deal.

Thanks, Russ

Well Russ,

I just recently got rid of my suspenders. People were talking about how out of style I was. I never listen to that popycock but buttons broke on my last good pair of plaid pants and the wife refuses to sew. This forced me to donate my 1970's vintage pants to goodwill. I am not sure why they wouldn't take them.

As far as carrying the 1911 I don't think I could carry them in the wasteband of my sweat pants like those fancy football players. I mean the wastband is getting tighter but not that tight. Maybe next year if I keep eating ice cream.

I am kind of like a cat (not to be confused with a ***** cat). If the mouse is still wigglin, I will play with it and throw it around, but once it stops moving I loose interest. I got this hot lead on a 1911 cheap. And being the cheap bastard that I am, I got excited! All this talk about needing to wear hip waders is discouraging, because they get hot in the summer but are great for fishing and hunting. The last time I wore them my dog wouldn't get the duck and I was forced to fetch it myself. I ended up getting on the deep end of the swamp which didn't turn out as well as I had wanted. Let's say I was all wet, (and may still be). So where was I going with this. I guess I am longing for my plaid pants and suspender to come back in style so I can carry a 1911.

What is the biggest issue for you boys if you gun imprints? Negative reaction from the gals? Or do they all back up? If so, what is wrong with that? I like my elbow room, but maybe it was the suspenders...

And what is the spoiler about the mosquito? Just too expensive or does it not shoot well? If shot a Walther P22 recently and decided the grip was too small on that. Cute but not for my hand.

Hey Thump,

Yeah, the Mosquito is a fun gun but not a real good 22. Some people have feeding issues and the accuracy is fair. The purpose built 22s are the best, Ruger auto, Buckmark, Smith 41, High Standard or some of the German or Italian guns. Same thing with the conversion kits, they are fun but they are nowhere near as good as the "real" 22s. I have/had quite a few good 22 autos. Get one of those before you branch out to a conversion kit or something like a Mosquito. By the way, the more you shoot, the more 22s you will own. You can't have too many 22s!

Thanx, Russ

Well I got good news and I got bad news.... The seller, who is unemployed and has been for quite some time, has sold some other collectables that he had for sale and received considerable money. Good for him... he needed the money. So unfortunately, he is not selling the 1911 at this time. So the search will go on for me.

Quote of the day..."There is more anger in America today than at any time I can remember,"

Sen. Arlen Specter, D-Pa, LEBANON, Pa. – Jeers and taunts drowned out calling for a health care overhaul at town halls Tuesday.

Love the sights Homeboy!

I also just found this...100_0223.jpg

http://ingunowners.com/forums/firearms/48139-wts_wtt_colt_1991a1.html

"WTS/WTT Colt 1991 A1, has a little holster wear. Unknown round count, comes with original box and 3 mags. Also comes with original grips and set shown in pic. I am looking for a 20ga O/U or a 12 ga auto loader. Also might be interested in a GSG-5. Cash price $575...will also throw in 50 rds of with a cash purchase."

Is that a plastic trigger I am seeing?

Maybe this guy would trade my 1100 12 ga for this... I don't know though. I shoot trap well with that shotgun.

I saw where you could convert to 22 caliber! I may want to do that for squirrel hunting in Northern Michigan this fall... Lots of bushy tails running around when bow hunting is not prime. Have you guys tried this? Or maybe a 380 or 9mm? I can imagine I will want to hunt with a 45.

For eating or for trophies?

"I'm not a fan of WW I metal as it may crystalize due to age."

Do what?

There are wrought iron and early steel bridges all over this great land older than 1911. Do you drive around em?

Not to mention rivet steel building structures. Do tell.

Plastic is what changes with age. Look at how brittle car parts get ( dash parts, door panels ) tabs break off when you try to remove them Vinyl siding gets brittle in a short time.