OT: cell phone advice needed.

Daddy Dee

Lost my cell phone last week. Don't know exactly how it happened. Thought I'd left it in my truck on the charger, but when I got back it wasn't there. Don't know if I dropped it in the parking lot (w/o hearing it) or perhaps it might have been taken. Later on in the evening when I stopped at the grocery store on the way home, I noticed that the passenger door was unlocked. I may have left it unlocked.

Anyway, ended up thinking it wasn't taken because when I called it, hoping I'd hear it somewhere under the seat, it just went straight to voice mail w/o ringing, indicating it was off.

No problem, I've got a not too old cell phone in my desk. I take it to ATT to reactivate it for my number. It has got some kind of problem, an intermittent, but 90% bad problem of callers not being able to hear me when I answer. Not workable.

ATT tells me they'd be happy to extend my contract if I buy an iPhone. Not interested there, just something basic. ATT charges about $300 for anything basic w/o a contract.

What I'm wondering is if it is reasonable to buy one off Ebay. I've got the sim card in the phone which is acivated at the moment. Sellers list their phones for use with ATT or whatever carrier.

Any advice is welcome.

Dee, i've read where you would want to check with the carrier to ensure sellers phone has a zero account balance.

btw, I'm thoroghly impressed with my iphone; it's a handheld computer not just a talk piece. The amount of useful applications are incredible...GPS, weather, news, sports, maps, internet, etc. but I am on the road alot going to courthouses & find this stuff useful.

Arky,

Thanks. Yeh. I think the iPhone is pretty incredible. My son in law uses one and loves his, too.

I'd probably get one, except I don't want to pay the $30 per mo extra for data service. I guess I can manage my email enough from home and office already.

I can imagine how it would be the best for being on the road.

I have bought my last 3 AT&T compatable phones off Ebay. Latest one is an LG CU500 which I have been real happy with about 3yrs now. Just make sure the phone you get is for AT&T and that its a GSM tri-band phone. The third band gets you Europe I think. AFAIK all of the newer phones will do this. Simply swap the Sim card out of your current phone into the new phone and whala, your set to go.

The Iphone as I understand it is a little more complicated. I think the sim card for it has slightly different programming? So a simple swap and go might very well be a no-go on this phone.

There are a mountain of these mobile phones on Ebay that will work for you. Pick a competent seller with good feedback and I think you will be happy.

Dee, i've read where you would want to check with the carrier to ensure sellers phone has a zero account balance.

Accounts basically go with the sim card for ATT. I originally bought my Sony Ericsson from Tiger Direct, wanting an unlocked quad band. I started with a Go Phone card, and eventually switched my service from Verizon to ATT.

I paid a pretty penny for it, but will say I am still using the original battery after more than 2 1/2 years (and NO, not one charge...but I haven't had to replace it). There are quite a few phone places online where you can get phones. Tigerdirect, New Egg... and all sorts of price ranges.To me that would be better than taking a chance on a used phone.

The iPhone is nice, but I really like having buttons to push. Apple sells a lot of them that people put in other cards... lots of programs to unlock them, but it does violate the agreement with Apple.

Bruce

Dee,

I've bought used phones off eBay with no problem (ATT here, too). I kinda need a new one, too. I have the same opinion about the iPhone. Real neat, but that $360/year is hard to swallow. I'm heavily campaigning for an iPod Touch for my birthday, though!

• Moderators

I'm heavily campaigning for an iPod Touch for my birthday, though!

Thats funny.

Cell phones, I just say NO thanks, even my 8 yo grandson has one, but not me, I DO want to miss all the calls, every one. If someone wants to get a message to me talk to the wife or email me, I only talk on the phone for special occasions when I have no choice, works great I play like I don't hear it when it rings. = grumpy old man ! [Y] If you have talked to me on the phone you in a very small group.

FWIW,

On the issue of lost or stolen. In the case of lost, I have a sticker with my name and office number on the back of my cell, asking the finder to call.

Long story. Essentially, unless you have that, it might be difficult for a good person who finds it to do much of anything.

Some years ago I inadvertenly left a palmtop in the seat back on an American Airlines flight. Calling around to AA was an encounter with friendly service oriented people which were of no help. I'll grant them that the jet goes to many destinations and a ground crew at any could have found it. So I'd only have to contact a couple of dozen lost and founds. They all have the answering machine saying that I should describe the item and they will call back. As Bill Cosby says, "Yeah . . . right." I even sent a fax to a number at ORD.

Then, coming back through ORD weeks later I spyed the secret door to AA lost and found and knocked. It is an Alladins's Cave of lost items. At least then, it was manned by two young people. I can only guess that the boss tells them to not do anything to hunt down the rightful owner of anything; don't respond to phone calls, don't read faxes. Be a lump. AA likes it that way.

In fairness, there was a box of cell phones, probably battery dead, no chance of investigating names, settings, etc.. My computer was there but it took my best charm to get their cooperation to get that far.

In any event. a label gives a good faith finder a way of making a phone call.

Wm McD.

I lost mine on the visitor's area of the WTC in 2000, when I called from the hotel a nice lady said she had a box of them. I'd put a purple cover on mine and had my name in the startup screen. Made a second trip down there the next day to pick it up. I wonder what happened to her, she worked on the top floor of WTC1

I'm in the mood for a new phone also. This one I'm carrying is my second one and the cover's scratched and most of the ink worn of the buttons. I like all the services and such on the iPhone but absolutely cannot afford more monthly charges. Can you use them for photos, apps and such without the internet connectivity fee? I can wait until I get home to update FB on my whereabouts, etc. I get into a panic attack just thinking of going into a store to shop for one...

Gentlemen,

Thanks. Good suggestions all!

I will also get an ID label to put on the phone, too.

Fini, when's your birthday?

Dee, it's October 8. Born on my Dad's birthday! When's yours?

Michael, I hear ya. I think to use the iPhone you have to get that data package. The iPod Touch is almost the same thing except you can't make calls (and use the phone service to get internet access). The Touch uses WiFi, so you can get on the internet that way. Besides, for a cell phone I need something extremely durable and rugged. I carry the phone in my front pocket...along with keys, change, often tools, and at least a few spoons full of dirt by the end of the day (when I'm doing concrete!).

Gentlemen,

Thanks. Good suggestions all!

I will also get an ID label to put on the phone, too.

Fini, when's your birthday?

Dee, it's October 8. Born on my Dad's birthday! When's yours?

Michael, I hear ya. I think to use the iPhone you have to get that data package. The iPod Touch is almost the same thing except you can't make calls (and use the phone service to get internet access). The Touch uses WiFi, so you can get on the internet that way. Besides, for a cell phone I need something extremely durable and rugged. I carry the phone in my front pocket...along with keys, change, often tools, and at least a few spoons full of dirt by the end of the day (when I'm doing concrete!).

Fini,

Cool, born on your dad's Bd.

mine is Jan 8, same as Elvis. Who BTW is still alive and living incognito working on a small dairy farm outside of Collinsville, AL. I sold him a twin bed at my moving yard sale in 1992., I delivered it to him on the farm and he said, Thank yuh, thank yeh vury much.

I'm not kidding.

I lost mine on the visitor's area of the WTC in 2000, when I called from the hotel a nice lady said she had a box of them. I'd put a purple cover on mine and had my name in the startup screen. Made a second trip down there the next day to pick it up. I wonder what happened to her, she worked on the top floor of WTC1

I'm in the mood for a new phone also. This one I'm carrying is my second one and the cover's scratched and most of the ink worn of the buttons. I like all the services and such on the iPhone but absolutely cannot afford more monthly charges. Can you use them for photos, apps and such without the internet connectivity fee? I can wait until I get home to update FB on my whereabouts, etc. I get into a panic attack just thinking of going into a store to shop for one...

Remember her name??? I can help you if you can get me a name or such.

And no you cannot turn the iphone on without activating it.

First off Daddy Dee, do you need internet access? Do you need 3g capable cause if you do not use it, all its going to do is waste your battery fast. I have the G1 "google" phone for TMobile and the battery dies in 18-22 hours.

If you just need a cellphone that can just make calls I suggest getting a motorola SLVR, can be had for around 60 dollars or so new. I had that phone for 2+ years and now my mother uses that phone. It was made for AT&T and the battery lasts 3-4 days and its slim in the pockets. My mother took it after her "free" phone in her contract just out of no where broke.......

http://www.jr.com/motorola-l7/pe/MOT_L7BK/

Jay,

I'm going to pass on the internet access. It would be fun, but don't have to have it for work and don't want the added data service charge. Also, is probably well enough that I can just check my email at home or the office.

Thanks for the tip on the SLVR