How is this for crummy service???

winchester21

My best friend bought a Maxed out Range Rover last year. New- about 100k. At 14 K miles the Perelli tires are literally cupping out and falling off the rims. These are not 'dubs" or some kind of bling. These are the normal all weather type tires that you commonly see on high end SUVs. The dealer sent him to Perelli for an adjustment. Perelli told him to take a hike..just about in those words. The dealer says that his hands are tied. The guy travels out of the country so I have been trying to help him out acting in his behalf as he does me a ton of favors. What a bunch of jerks!!!!! After getting involved with this I would never buy any Perelli products ever. Same with Range Rover so far.I cant believe that range Rover would run a multiple purchase customer off over something like this. In this bad economy you would think business would be trying to keep customers rather than chase them away-particulary car companies. This one is going to get real ugly.

My father in law has owned several Land Rovers. All have been just service nightmares. We have always like them, look great, smell great, cool cars. But have always stayed away from them because of his experiences. My wife instead has the Lexus LX 470, and Lexus just builds a solid car. Nothing have ever gone out on the thing. It has about 90000 mile on it now. Once a cd got stuck that was it. So the dealer, rather than giving us a hassle, just pulled the whole radio, put in a brand new one, then mailed us back the CD!. So, we are not on our second one of the same car. The cost of them putting in the new CD, not much. Benefit of gaining a steady customer, a bit more I should expect.

Paul

Did you happen to look into getting them re-balanced? Because, more them likely that's the problem.

Pirelli probably said to take a hike because they didn't mount them to the rims and balance them. LR did (or had some one do it for them).

I happened to be certified by BF-Goodrich a loooooong time ago.

I have had similar experience...had a Rover..... POS!!!! now I have a bomb proof Toyota Land Cruiser (every bit as plush inside) that I will own untill the body rusts out around me!!!!

sorry for your frustration Win....you really think businesses would be bending over backwards to retain customers these days!!!

I have a friend who has a newer Range Rover with about 20k miles on it, and he's on his fourth set of bags for the air suspension. I used to want one, but with all of the problems I've heard of, and the fact that I don't like being that far off the ground (I stick to two seaters) I tend to shy away from them. I still wouldn't mind seeing one in front of the house though.

I'm not sure if this has much to do with it, but maybe an alignment will help? My sister has a new Mustang GT, and the rubber was eaten right through the middle of the tire, causing it to separate. An alignment and a new set of tired remedied the problem for her.

I would never own a Rover-particulary now-but they do seem to be much better lately- last gen. I think they are cool as well but the bad rep scares me away.I have been running the Tahoes and Surburbans for years. Far from perfect but we have a good service shop here and ther is a large group of friends who use the same service advisor-this practice makes a BIG difference in treatment. If one of us gets nailed we all jump him.

This truck has had the align/balance checked by a shop that specializes in high end SUVs and exotics. No issues- just sorry tires. My first Porsche had a terrible set of Perellis- Same result..Take a hike.

+1 on the Lexus dealers- I bought a off lease BMW540 trade from the Lexus store here a few years ago.. Talk about service.. They bent over backwards to fix every little detail before I picked the car up. If there was a Lexus that suited me.. I would be driving 1 or 2 now. Really surprised by the Rover dealer- arrogant bunch of pricks.

I'm not sure if this has much to do with it, but maybe an alignment will help? My sister has a new Mustang GT, and the rubber was eaten right through the middle of the tire, causing it to separate. An alignment and a new set of tired remedied the problem for her.

I highly doubt the allignment is the problem in either case. With your sister's Mustang, I would be pointing towards the front tires being over-inflated. That will most definitley cause premature center treadwear. The new tires must have been inflated properly.

I once had a 94' Eagle Talon and with proper inflation (never neaded an allignment even though it had been check repeatedly) got over 70k miles with a set of Goodyear RSA's. When I first bought the car new, the factory tires were Goodyear Eagle GT+4's and each tire was over-inflated by at least 8 lbs. The guys that work the "dealer prep" area didn't bother to read that that car's tires should be 29 lbs./front and 26 lbs./rear. They had all four of them up to at least 37 lbs.with one in the rear at 43 lbs.[:|]

Yes, the service at LR should have been better. And I bet if the problem could have been fixed with labor alone, it would have been done. But since they would have to lay out ~$500 for a tire as well as labor, they're going to take a different stance. Just the way they roll (oh, that was a bad pun!).

I had a used land rover discovery se for two years. It was one if the best vehicles I haver ever owned or driven. Great features great ride. When I slold it I made $2k from when I bought it after driving for two years. Only vehicle I have ever come out ahead on. The dealer support is however BS! Which is why I sold and bought a gmc Sierra.

My father in law has owned several Land Rovers. All have been just service nightmares. We have always like them, look great, smell great, cool cars. But have always stayed away from them because of his experiences. My wife instead has the Lexus LX 470, and Lexus just builds a solid car. Nothing have ever gone out on the thing. It has about 90000 mile on it now. Once a cd got stuck that was it. So the dealer, rather than giving us a hassle, just pulled the whole radio, put in a brand new one, then mailed us back the CD!. So, we are not on our second one of the same car. The cost of them putting in the new CD, not much. Benefit of gaining a steady customer, a bit more I should expect. Paul

Yep. Toyota does make a nice Lexus.

Yeah but...Compare a lexus dealer to a Toyota dealer...I tried to buy several Sequioas through the years and the dealers ran me away. Maybe others are better but the Toyota dealers here really suck

The Lexus dealers are top shelf. Basically you are paying for the "L" badge and customer care. Well worth it IMHO.

Yeah but...Compare a lexus dealer to a Toyota dealer...I tried to buy several Sequioas through the years and the dealers ran me away. Maybe others are better but the Toyota dealers here really suck

The Lexus dealers are top shelf. Basically you are paying for the "L" badge and customer care. Well worth it IMHO.

Funny thing is...I could have gotten an almost identical used lexus version of my used Toyota Land cruiser (the lexus has wood veneer and some other schmaltz) for about $2k less .... I guess the bling turned me off.....But Id get a new lexus GS in a heart beat!!!!

There were a ton of lexus lease turn ins but almost no land cruisers available......hey $60++ K vehicle for $30 k out the door 3 years old and 35 K miles.... I new it would be out of warranty in about a month, so dealer service was not important to me as I have a great local garage..... best vehicle I have ever owned!!! by far....

Yeah, I don't know about Toyota's dealers. The Lexus dealers are just so easy to work with. They treat you like you are really someone important and they are thrilled and honored to have your business. And, I am so not important....

I tried to get my wife to buy lexus...this time around, but she had her eye on the Acura....which is supposed to have great service also....

she took it in for her first oil change (they threw in a few free services) she made an appt. got there on time and the service manager acted like he couldn't give a crap! Finnally got the car in 45 min after her appt. time and then they proceeded to take three hours with her waiting for a lousy oil change!!!! They promised her one hour max!!! I gave the manager an ear full the next day, and he wasn't even apologetic!!! I told them to get stuffed and that they would never have my business again....

I do know several people with Lexus and they have nothing but raves about the service dept.

Yeah, I don't know about Toyota's dealers. The Lexus dealers are just so easy to work with. They treat you like you are really someone important and they are thrilled and honored to have your business. And, I am so not important....

I tried to get my wife to buy lexus...this time around, but she had her eye on the Acura....which is supposed to have great service also....

she took it in for her first oil change (they threw in a few free services) she made an appt. got there on time and the service manager acted like he couldn't give a crap! Finnally got the car in 45 min after her appt. time and then they proceeded to take three hours with her waiting for a lousy oil change!!!! They promised her one hour max!!! I gave the manager an ear full the next day, and he wasn't even apologetic!!! I told them to get stuffed and that they would never have my business again....

I do know several people with Lexus and they have nothing but raves about the service dept.

That's when you call Acura's Concierge's number at 1-800-594-8500 and you give them an earful. The more negative things they hear about a dealer, the fewer cars they get alotted to them. I've done it a couple times and even got a call from the service manager with an appology while he was gritting his teeth.

I own a Range Rover. Their problems extend from being built over the years by many different manufacturers. My 2004 has a BMW heritage, and BMW problems. Others have Chrysler drive trains and so on. They are now owned by an Indian company. RR service is the worst I have ever experienced. Not only is the service itself bad but the communication is deplorable. Fortunately I have found a local guy who specializes in Euro cars and he is actually German born and trained. I almost feel confident in the vehicle. The latest failure is the OEM BMW CD changer that has seized and is holding 6 of my favorite discs hostage. As for tires I did just replace all four of mine for around $1,200.00. Bridgestone makes a Dueler Alenza tire that is an all season radial. It could be that this guys RR is a sport model which takes a little different size tire and they always charge more for 'sport' anything. Even though the RR is a dream to drive I would not ever buy another nor would I recommend that anyone else buy one. I did not buy mine new and I did snake a good extended warranty. Still they are complex vehicles and expensive to keep running well.

It is indeed a head scratcher why a Land Rover dealer would give such poor service on a $100K vehicle. For sure, it would be my last Rover purchase, too.

I guess LR doesn't need repeat business. It would be interesting to know if this is a particularly bad dealer or part of the LR corporate culture.

My last stop with LR would be in the general manager's office (or dealer owner) to find out if he knows what his employees are doing.

It is indeed a head scratcher why a Land Rover dealer would give such poor service on a $100K vehicle. For sure, it would be my last Rover purchase, too.

I guess LR doesn't need repeat business. It would be interesting to know if this is a particularly bad dealer or part of the LR corporate culture.

My last stop with LR would be in the general manager's office (or dealer owner) to find out if he knows what his employees are doing.

I have taken service problems to their national level customer support. There they are far more interested in customer satisfaction. The person who owns my RR dealership was sympathetic but unwavering. It has cost her dearly whether she knows it or not. Their target customer is one with megabucks. But these are also people that usually expect accurate service and lots of ego grooming. IMHO they squander away a lot of repeat business. Maybe that's why they are sold off every couple of years.