motorcycle tire sealing ?????

joessportster

first time i have messed with a wide rear tire and i am wandering if they have issues sealing on the rims ..........i have a billit rim with an avon low profile 250 wide tire and the tire doesnt want to seal i have air leaking around the rim

anyone have any experience with these things or know anything about them i would appreciate the insight..............below is a pic of the beginning of the project

My guess is that the tire is not up on the bead lock. A little liquid soap, some air pressure from a big compressor and move the tire around until the bead seals and starts inflating. You can put a strap on the center of the tire to help push the bead out, remove it once you can get it to hold air. Be careful with the over pressure, you can get hurt or killed. The tire will pop when the bead seats. If you are not comfortable doing this, run it down to the cycle shop I'm sure they will do it for free if it's already mounted and they don't have to dis-mount it.

Thanx, Russ

dish soap huh !!!!!!, never tried that one b-4, the tire appears to be mounted properly no visiable space between the rim and the tire (like one would normally see if the tire had notset on completely) not my first tire i have dealt with just the first of this kind, when i was in the service i had to break down split ring daytons (now those are dangerous, i remember walking upon a young private and he was using a pick mattox to try and pull the ring with the air still in the tire, he had about 6 inches of the ring loose..............he was a lucky soul that day that someone came up and cought him in the act !!!! )

i will give the soap a try, i dont have a large compressor but i will remove the valve core so it can get a full blast (little trick i learned several years ago)

thanks for the insights guys, still would like to talk with someone that has installed these type tires and see if it is a common issue

Joe

Dish soap works well, but I used to dilute it a fair bit with water, not use it straight. I'd swab it on the inner sides of the rim with a brush, then pump the tire. The soap is slippery and lets the tire seat, then dries sticky and may help it stay in place. Well, maybe not so much with the power of modern bikes, but it does help with the bead seating.

Not to be tried in this situation but as an aside.... I've used ether to set the bead before, although not on a bike (I had dirtbikes).

I've got an industrial backhoe/loader (JCB) and when I get a flat on that thing, those tires are a freaking monster to reset. I've cussed, moaned and beat them. I've used a strap around them... then I read about a little shot of ether in them and 'poof' they will seat.

I'll admit that when I've doen that I am usually squirting too little inside them (while rotating tire to even it out) and I'm simultaneously worred about blowing myself up BUT... I've got to admit... it's worked like a charm for me.

Also nice is having the rear stabilizers and front bucket to lift the machine with....having built in jacks is nice.

I agree with Pat on the water. I'd turn it around a bit... you don't want dishsoap with water...you want water with some dishsoap added to it.

I've got an industrial backhoe/loader (JCB) and when I get a flat on that thing, those tires are a freaking monster to reset.

And I thought putting an oversize knobby on a dirt bike rim with security bolts was sometimes a wrestling match. A backhoe tire must be in a whole different league.

the tire doesnt want to seal i have air leaking around the rim

Ya know Joe...I misread that to mean it won't set the bead.

If it were me, I'd probalby try to wrestle the tire off (or push it 'in' so I could see the rim and bead) and make sure the rim doesn't have any dirt on it and the inside of the tire is clean as well.

My understanding is if you have any dirt between the two it will sometimes prevent a good seal from happening. I know how frustrating it can be to have a leaky tire.

trey i have heard of this trick but i try to stay away from anything that goes bang...................lots and lots of people i work with in dc that i may get bad ideas about using bang theories..................seriously i have also heard this route can weaken the tire (weak tire on a bike = bad idea)

coytee i have a gang od crotch rocket riders at work (all those bikes have the wide rear tires, and i spoke with one of the leaders he gave me the same advice, it does look like it would be a monster PITA to push on that low pro tire) but i will give it a shot

steve, yea looks like it could be a sweet one for sure but alot of work will need to be done, hooking up the shocks was an exercise in patience testing all by itself................and the fender looks to be fun as well

bought a new air compressor today that should do the trick after i get it wired up ( tomarrow )

Joe