Record groves and pointy things

bliss53

Check out the pictures I found on another board.

Looks like somebody dragged a needle across that record in the first picture. Look across the bottom of the picture and you could see a series of smaller grooves cut across the actual record grooves.

Looks like a closeup of my copy of Houses of the Holy :(

Some great shots here:

http://www.micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0100.htm

I will have to fire up my USB microscope that I usually just use to check stylus tips and try and snap some shots of my Telarc 1812 pressing.

You can see the almost 90 degree turns when the Cannons kick in, without magnification!

I've only had one cart/styli/arm combo that can reliably track it, but no speaker to properly reproduce...yet.

"Pointy. It amazes me that this technology still sounds so good."

Yep, back in the day we had our trusty little hand-microscopes to inspect stylus wear and records and that's what LP phono grooves do look like. Nowadays my turntable is a modest Audio-Technica with a USB output to dub into digital some favorite old LP's I've kept, a project I get to infrequently. It IS a wonder that that old electromechanical analog LP technology could sound as good as it did. It is still highly audiophile-seductive to see a record quietly spinning and the stylus and tonearm tracking it while the sound comes gloriously out of my Klipschorns. CD's spinning invisibly and MP3's doing their thing just don't evoke the same visual + sonic "romance."

Of course one remembers the drawbacks, too. Clicks, pops and scratches, dirty LP's, worn styli, turntable wow, flutter and rumble, vibration feedback and all that. Still... The below Rodrigues cartoon pertains, hope you enjoy.

post-10590-13819499348428_thumb.jpg

Ever since the Digital worms came along in the early eighties the Record Groves seem to have been dying off.

Yeah but lately I have been scoring some very pristine vinyl. It is great to find a collection that has been loved and not stacked in the attic or basement.

My Garrard 301 plinth project is ramping up and I should have a killer TT running by Christmas. I am very psyched.

Ever since the Digital worms came along in the early eighties the Record Groves seem to have been dying off.

Yeah but lately I have been scoring some very pristine vinyl. It is great to find a collection that has been loved and not stacked in the attic or basement.

My Garrard 301 plinth project is ramping up and I should have a killer TT running by Christmas. I am very psyched.

I wish I had a killer TT, All I've got running at the moment is a linear tracking Kenwood I picked up on craigslist for $25.

I wish I had a killer TT, All I've got running at the moment is a linear tracking Kenwood I picked up on craigslist for $25.

Nothing wrong with that as linear tracking has its advantages. Records are cut linearly so it does make sense to playback that way. I have often wondered why they all weren't like this from the beginning.

"Nothing wrong with that as linear tracking has its advantages. Records are cut linearly so it does make sense to playback that way. I have often wondered why they all weren't like this from the beginning."

Because when you take $50,000 worth of technology and try and boil it down to a sub $500 unit, sacrifices are made.

When they are working right, consumer level linear is great, but they rarely are and time is not kind to them.

Too many moving and non replaceable parts, constant tweeking, for my liking.