Giving instructions over the phone is not easy....

ace168516

So, I get this call at 9 AM today...my wife is stuck in michigan with a flat tire on 94...explorer, huge load of stuff in back from a move. Now, they had to have hit something, I know the car is not overloaded...I have put 1400 lbs of tile in it before...they probably only have 200 lbs of stuff in it now. So, I had to change a tire on the car about a month ago...she hit a nail and I did in less than 20 minutes in her parking lot at work. It is now one hour later and the spare is still not out of the car. Mind you, I know the "exact" steps to do this since it was less than a month ago...I know she is not the most mechanically apt person in the world, but her mom is with her as well as her sister...and they are not like forgive the expression...stupid blondes...they are pretty smart women. I don't know if I can explain things any clearer on how to change a tire. 2 panels in the back, pull them up, one has the jack, lug wrench and a turn bar...the other has a large nut that you use the lug wrench to drop the tire by turning couter-clockwise...put out extra slack on the cable, so you can pull the holder through the center of the hub by turning it verticle. No clue how many hours jacking the car up is going to take on the phone....good lord this is going to be a long day...might be off to the 3 minutes to miller time thread early

AAA to the rescue.

That's the way to go. I would never advise my wife to change her tire, especially with her mother in the car, unless road service was completely unavailable. I've taught my daughters how to change the tire as well, if such an emergency arises.

Pretty funny story though!

haha, I would have paid someone to do it before driving 5 hours to change a tire. Luckily after they got the spare down, her sister called a neighbor who scooted out there and had them up and running in 10 minutes. Glad she has a nice new full size spare though. Tragedy averted and I'm going to buy that neighbor some dinner or something for helping. Off to buy my doors and then actually enjoy the last few hours of a really busy weekend with some beers and grilling.

Reminds me of getting driving directions in New England: "If ya get ta wayah the Jacobsen's bahn used ta be befowah it buhned down, ya gone too fah."

I hear that, my Dad moved to a new place, he said turn right at "The Square". The Square was removed just after World War 2 but I guess to Dad it's still there...........

Thanx, Russ

I've been using ATT road service. it costs just a few bucks a month on the cell phone bill. It's good for tire change or other AAA type services. It's also good on any car you're in as long as you have your cell phone with you.

I've used them once for a tire change and once to jump start the car when the battery ran down.

This is the reason I have AAA. Just in case of car failure/problems when I am not close.

My daughter locked herself out of her car at college at least 2 times.

I had a flat on the interstate and my spare tire was FLAT!

AAA to the rescue.

Wrinkles,

I agree 100%!!

Triple A is a no brainer, and how anyone could know of the services provided and not take advantage leaves me feeling "Blonde"

Free Paas Port?? Reduces prices on ALOT of travel destinations... Roadside assistance. I went to Florida for Sportsmans Holiday one year, and the guy driving drops the transmission on the way home from the Keys. We are 100 miles from NO-WHERE, it is a Sunday, and it is a Holiday...

I have tripple A Gold. I think the tow limit was 200 miles, so I have the tow truck tow us to a Ford Dealership in Miami. We make the extra miles towards home, our goal, and are sitting in a dealership in the morning when they open, a dealership large enough to HAVE the parts in stock.

I tell anybody who will listen that you are a moron if you don't carry tripple A!!

Roger