Ported Heresy Project.

Guest David H

Guest David H

I have been holding off on the sound report, because I had some minor issues to work through. At higher volumes I had a popping noise (raspy), I tried 2 different amps both low power one tube the other SS same noise, I changed crossovers, had the same noise, swapped out drivers one at a time, nothing was resolving the issue. I thought about it a bit, and thought maybe I needed more power, so I pulled out the 200wpc rms Ps-Audio and hooked it up noise was gone. I have been running 100+ db speakers so long it didn't dawn on me that I might need more power to driver a 94db heresy.

Now that I resolved the noise issue, the bass is fantastic, but the top end is veiled. I decided to assemble new pair of crossover and compare to the original HII crossovers, the new crosssovers did the trick, and with a little more fine tuning I think this will be a winner.

Last night I did some testing with the new crossovers and found the squalker spl is a touch high. To resolve this, I ordered new crossover capacitors and resistors to make these constant impedence networks, and I need to order Crites 3636 autoformers so I can adjust in 1db increments.

post-24405-13819500166534_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

when are the crossovers going to be done so I can come hear them.

Hopefully ready this sunday, they sound good now but the stock crossovers seem veiled in the mids which I believe is bluring the imaging. I considered upgrading the capacitors, but decided to replace them completely.

how do they compare to the Cornscala II's

The ported Heresy's have surprisingly good bass and sound similar to the Cornscala's due to using a near identical mid horn, and comparable tweeters. The main difference is the efficiency of the K-33 vs the K-24. I will know more this weekend.

Guest David H

Thanks Greg, I had every intention of using these as shop speakers, I purchased plastic corners, rat fur, and handles, but they turned out so nice I just couldn't do it. I think they will end up in the Garage sale instead.

This is an newer pic with edgebanding and a third coat of paint. Looks like I will be making grills next.

post-24405-13819500512542_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Looks awesome.

When you have it all to your satisfaction....can you give us a "curve" out in the garage?

jc

Absolutely, here is a current curve. Notice the dips 2-4k, I think this is the veiling I am noticing in the mids.

post-24405-13819500595564_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome.

When you have it all to your satisfaction....can you give us a "curve" out in the garage?

jc

Absolutely, here is a current curve. Notice the dips 2-4k, I think this is the veiling I am noticing in the mids.

Can you describe your measuring setup and where everything was located when you took the measurement?

Guest David H

Can you describe your measuring setup and where everything was located when you took the measurement?

Mike my meaurements were taken on axis 3 feet from the speaker in my garage with an Ipod touch.

I know these measurements are far from perfect, but they get me close.

Link to my measurements setup. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/116924.aspx?PageIndex=1

Guest David H

I got around to updating and installing my crossovers today, and the difference over the original is penominal. I had to attenuate the mid horn an additional 2db over the H-2 crossover. I need to run some curves, the top end may be a touch hot but it may be due to the garage environment. 3rd order on the tweeter may be in order.

Dave Harris

Guest David H

Thanks Mark, I had some freinds come over last night and conducted a blind test between the stock HII crossover and my upgraded crossover.

So far I am 3 for 3 but none of the listeners are so far are audio enthusiasts. I hope to do some more testing this weekend and maybe get some updated curves.