Tactical shotgun question- OT

winchester21

I have a NIB M1 benelli tactical shotgun- 12 ga- 20 " bbl - choke tubes-ghost ring sights- box papers hanging tags - everything.

Yesterday- I saw a new/used beautiful Black stock M4 12 ga - all bells and whistles- asking price is 1450.00 as new - box and papers

The M4 uses the new self cleaning gas operated Argo system which I am not familiar with -the M1 uses the tried and true Inertia driven rotary bolt.

I am sorely tempted to trade for around 500.00. The M4 is a sweetheart. Very popular withthe military and police.

Anybody fired one of the new Benelli M4??? Comments?????

HEY CB They are also great for shooting fish pond raiding bears- or so I have heard- LOL. How have you been??? All work - no fun on this end- time for a fall Klipsch scotch drinking smoke out soon. I share your frustration on setup of new computers. Michael had to do mine. I will call you soon. Take care buddy.

I have a NIB M1 benelli tactical shotgun- 12 ga- 20 " bbl - choke tubes-ghost ring sights- box papers hanging tags - everything.

Yesterday- I saw a new/used beautiful Black stock M4 12 ga - all bells and whistles- asking price is 1450.00 as new - box and papers

The M4 uses the new self cleaning gas operated Argo system which I am not familiar with -the M1 uses the tried and true Inertia driven rotary bolt.

I am sorely tempted to trade for around 500.00. The M4 is a sweetheart. Very popular withthe military and police.

Anybody fired one of the new Benelli M4??? Comments?????

winchester21,

If your going to spend that much on a tactical, why not a Spas 12 with all the bells and wistles.

Roger

Win,

Is this for your use only? I haven't had first hand experience but the M4 looks like the ultimate piece to have for home defense. Not that a M1 is a sleeper. Inertia VS Gas operation is the question. Also the M4 is the only one legal in Canada so the value may go higher.

Here is a thread I found on the comparison.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=129672

Good Luck Win!

I did the trade deal and got the M4. Apparently Benellis are hard to get from the factory now at least around here. There has been some kind of sales rep shakeup and they are not shipping with any reliability. My buddy cancelled a 35 gun order just to get their attention- nobody even called him. I got a pretty penny for my M1. The M4 is an awsome home defense piece- maybe the best defense shotgun that I have ever picked up. Really impressed. Just what you want in your hand when the home invaders kick your door in at 2 am. Thanks for all comments and advice.

Apparently the m1 rotary bolt system was rough on optics. I have had about a dozen m1s though the years for a variety of uses. the M4 has seen rough dutiy in iraq and has come through with rave reviews. The double AGROS gas system does not degrage optics dur to reduced recoil. Chosen by the US marines. truth is - the man toy gadget lust got the best of me- this is one cool piece of machinery. I saved all of my M 1 accessories and ad ons. I have a line on departmental turn ins and I may buy another one

wichester 21,

Franchi SPAS 12

Holds 9 rounds.

Fires semi or pump so light loads that will not penetrate walls to injure unwanted targets that would not nescesarily operate a semi can be initially chambered.

Has enough seperate saftey measures (think Colt 1911) that unless intruder is intimately familiar with the weapon, he is not going to be able to use it on you.

Multiple configuration folding hook stock alows for 3 seperate shooting techniques, carrying handle on top like M-16, or to be hung by hook.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to test fire the M4- Shootiing low brass practice loads it jammed one time on the first magazine load. It functioned flalessly for the rest of the session. The gun is very F A S T . It is extremely low recoil. Extremely fast target aquisition with the ghost ring sights. Anybody can shoot this gun well with minimal expierence. Several of us tried it on a composite lifesize target. Everybody shot it perfectly and loved it.The guy at the gunshop told me that it had never been fired. The gun loosened up quite a bit after 1 box of shells so I tend to believe him. I highly reccomend this as a home defense shotgun. Benelli really got it right with this one. Downside - a little at 1300-1800. You get what you pay for.

I find my S&W Model 629 Stainless.44Mag w/laser sight a pretty effective deterrent, nothing like seeing that red dot on your chest. Have a .444 Marlin for Bear or Moose with Hornady Ammo sufficient, serious knock down power. Have a 12 gauge auto loader forget the model.

These of course are all toys compared to the M2, MK19, GAU-19, LW50MG, and other weapons we produce and test here at General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products. Nothing like watching the 30MM gatling gun mounted on the nose of the A-10 Thunderbolt II in action. Even better the AC-130 in action like in the Transformers desert scene. Going to the Ethan Allen Firing Range is a real treat!

Enjoy that sounds like an awesome shotgun.