Thoughts and ideas for building a "Center-Channel" speaker wanted:

spschneer

I think I want to try and build a "center-channel" type of speaker for a home-theater kind of setup and I need some ideas...

My current 2-channel audio setup consists of a pair of Forte II's being driven by a Marantz 2230. This gives me really nice 2-channel audio listening performance. I like the sound quality very much. I have a space (just below the TV screen) that's about 6" x 40" that could be used for a "Center-Channel" speaker to improve the dialog for watching TV in this room. My thought is to build in a "center-channel" consisting of a tweeter and one or two mid-ranges from the Forte line. I would then use this with the Forte's when listening / watching TV. I really don't want to go with an Academy (too expensive and scarse,
plus too big for the specific space I have). I also don't realy want
to go to a full 5.1 home theater type of setup since that is already
covered in the family room/main TV area. This is just to improve the
ambience of the "other TV" when one of us wants to watch something
else.

This would be instead of getting something like a soundbar to go in the same location (along with a powered subwoofer to provide some bass for the TV watching). With the Forte's, I don't really need the addtional bass (or expense) of the subwoofer and I can drive the center channel as a mono single off the "B" speaker terminals of the Marantz.

Does anyone have any specifics on what I would need to piece together to accomplish this?

Thanks

Steve

I think I want to try and build a "center-channel" type of speaker for a home-theater kind of setup and I need some ideas...

My current 2-channel audio setup consists of a pair of Forte II's being driven by a Marantz 2230. This gives me really nice 2-channel audio listening performance. I like the sound quality very much. I have a space (just below the TV screen) that's about 6" x 40" that could be used for a "Center-Channel" speaker to improve the dialog for watching TV in this room. My thought is to build in a "center-channel" consisting of a tweeter and one or two mid-ranges from the Forte line. I would then use this with the Forte's when listening / watching TV. I really don't want to go with an Academy (too expensive and scarse, plus too big for the specific space I have). I also don't realy want to go to a full 5.1 home theater type of setup since that is already covered in the family room/main TV area. This is just to improve the ambience of the "other TV" when one of us wants to watch something else.

This would be instead of getting something like a soundbar to go in the same location (along with a powered subwoofer to provide some bass for the TV watching). With the Forte's, I don't really need the addtional bass (or expense) of the subwoofer and I can drive the center channel as a mono single off the "B" speaker terminals of the Marantz.

Does anyone have any specifics on what I would need to piece together to accomplish this?

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

To be perfectly honest dude, the Forte IIs sound so good, that without proper room for a third Forte II, I think even the accademy is a compromise. I honestly think you will be happier running fantom center if you can't run a third Forte'II

Just my honest opinion on this one.... Roger

I think a C7 would be a dead on match to your forte II mains (as it is to my Chorus II mains in my ExH HT.)

It's got the same sounding horn...

Costs less than an Academy but it is a bit bigger...

My .02

N

HVN,

I have an RC-7 and an RF-7 that has been converted into a center channel, and I can't see it being a great marriage.

Roger

Thanks for the ideas, so far. I really don't have space for the C7,(and certainly not enough for another

Forte II), thus my interest in building something custom to fit the space.

Has anyone put together the pieces for a custom speaker with either Klipsch parts, or aftermarket

pieces that might work well(and sound good with the Forte's) and be willing to share some specifics?

Steve

You might try 4 of any the following coupled with a Forte II mid and tweeter and a similar crossover design.

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-302.pdf

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-018&ctab=1#Tabs

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-252

The Galaxy Audio woofer has some advantages because it is 16 ohms and a Pro driver, used in "Hotspots" monitors. It probably should be put in a ported enclosure.

You could try to put this Passive Radiator on the bottom of the cabinet in a slot formed by short legs.

The only way to get a good timbre match with a Forte is to use the same tweeter and squawker, You will need more than just the tweeter and squawker. You give up too much frequency response eliminating the woofer. Use the Forte crossover. Replace the Forte's woofer and passive radiator with enough smaller woofers to get approximately the same level of output. You aren't going to have the same low end frequency response, but it should be good enough. You may have to tweek the crossover to account for differences in sensitivity between the Forte's woofer and the new woofers. The parts suggested by John are good choices.

FWIW if your main speakers are close enough, and the screen is more or less in the middle, adding a center may not yield an audible improvement.

Thanks again for all the ideas/replys...I think at this time, I will just use my Forte's as they are. I may

possibly upgrade my receiver to an AVR that can handle the new formats (Dolby Digital/dts etc) and

see if it can create a phantom center gracefully. If so, then that may be the ultimate result. Otherwise,

I'll look for a single Forte II (possibly with a blown woofer and/or passive) to salvage the cross-over and

Mid & Tweeter...

Steve

The only way to get a good timbre match with a Forte is to use the same tweeter and squawker, You will need more than just the tweeter and squawker. You give up too much frequency response eliminating the woofer. Use the Forte crossover...

right ... I replaced the Quartet's tweeter and crossover with that of a Forte II ... keeping the original woofer/drone. I had a cabinet maker construct a new motor board tipping the horns 90 degrees (so that I could position the Quartet on its side. All in all, I am satisfied ... "my" search has come to its conclusion. I did discover that even height and angle is critical in pursuing the elusive "ideal" solution.

• 2 months later...

I did this a couple of years back. Still using it today. Like the other posts, I used Heresy components for a good match. The speaker doesn't have much bass, but neither do the mains.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/85987.aspx?PageIndex=1

Jocko - I was thinking about building a center channel to match my KP-250b front speakers and have a full set of KP-250b drivers (including the big-*** K42-K woofer) - do you think I could do something similar to your center channel but have the 12" firing down (or up - I'm agnostic) but the two ports firing forward and get a similar result as your pseudo-horn Dayton woofer setup?

Thanks!

-D

Why not something like a crites tweeter with two 8" eminence PA or delta pro drivers? (picked the driver just because the range is quoted to 5khz)

Well, mostly because I already have an extra set of K42-K woofer, K53 squawker and K79 tweeter (KP-250b driver compliment) which I don't want to waste. Plus they'd be correctly "voiced" to the other two KP-250 speakers.

- D