Swapping a K-77 with Bob Crites CT-125

I have a pair of 77 Belles and was thinking about swapping the K-77s out for Bob Crites CT-125s. I have a friend that has a pair of La Scalas that the tweeters are blown (I haven't checked them with a meter) and I suggested that I wanted to change my tweeters out and would sell him my tweeters for what my replacement ones cost. He agreed to this and I am hoping this will happen in the next couple of weeks. What I would like to know is if there is anyone out there that has made the same swap or something similar. I have bought some replacement capacitors from Bob and trust him but I just wanted some feedback from people that have made this swap. I would shudder to think that I made a mistake and changed the sound of the Belles for the worse.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a pair of Bob's tweeters in my LaScalas, replacing the K77s. It only took about ten minutes, and for me it was a very noticeable improvement. Bob's will handle more power and extend higher. Absolutely no changes are required on the crossover. If you are able to make an even swap, you are really getting the best end of the deal.

Bruce

I've been happier with my Heritage speakers sound with the CT125. I've used them in Khorns, LaScalas and Heresy.

to my ears the sound of cymbal strikes and such sounds noticeably more realistic.

In my own subjective preference, I'd also say they best the Beyma tweeters so many folks use in heritage speakers.

Just to throw my two cents worth into this discussion I just finished a pair of Cornscalas and have been trying to decide between the CT-125's and the K-77's. With my crossover (a JWC design) I get more high end presence with the K-77's, perhaps due to the higher effeciency of the K-77's.

While they are brighter, I think that the K-77's are a bit brash and really like the smoother output of the 125's. I would like more output from them in order to give them a fair comparison with the louder K-77's. Maybe there is a way to modify the crossover to increase the gain on the CT-125's a tad?

Herb

I tried both and kept the K-77's. I thought the 125's had nice, clear overtones of bass and midrange instruments, which greatly clarifies the music in those ranges as well as in the treble. However, my K-77's were integral to well-engineered (IMO) AK-4 kits, and in that setup, the 125's didn't blend as well with the K-400's as the K-77's. Vertical and horizontal dispersion appeared to differ between the two -- again, this may have been an artifact of the AK-4 xovers.

For me, in my system, instrument and vocal tone qualities were more natural with the K-77's, and treble and bass were in better balanced, if a little laid back.

After re-wiring the 125's to a higher output I still did not get the desired high end presence I expected. I am surprised since so many posts rave about the 125's. I wonder if it's a matter of the crossover, but it's supposed to be designed for the Cornscala so I am going to keep playing with it to see if I can get it right. As of now it's the Goldilocks syndrome one too hot the other too cold... Oh well, time for bed!

Well here is my expirence as of late, I installed Greg's V-trac's with the BMS drivers and kept my k-77's tweeters instead of opting for the Beyma's or others. What I have found is that I now here my tweeter much more than I did when it was mounted above the k-400 horn. Seems like with the k-77 mounted on the side instead of the center, I am hearing it better with good results. I was all ready to try the Crites tweeter as well as the APT 200, but the k-77 is sounding really good so I will stay where I am for the time being.

Jay

To me it seems wise to stay with the original tweeter (even considering the bad reputation of the T35/K77). Extending the audio range in the treble region will also change your subjective perception of mid and bass. And the focus of listening moves to the cymbals. A well designed system very often suffers from such a change. Developers in ancient times knew about it, they tuned bass and HF to roll off in hamonic proportions. Check some old tube radios, they can sound fantastic, even with a small 'midrange' speaker. Because they are balanced.

A few weeks after the tweeter tweak one might feel that there is something missing in the lower bass section. Then the modder starts thinking about venting a LS...on a mod-way to hell.

There are a few of us (in the minority by a good amount I suspect) that bought Bob's 125s and eventually went back to the K77s. For me, it took about 3 days. Others took up to a month or more. To me, they take away that live, gritty Klipsch sound and sound more like a dome tweeter. Like I said, I'm in the minority but there are a number of us that feel the same way. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

To me it seems wise to stay with the original tweeter (even considering the bad reputation of the T35/K77). Extending the audio range in the treble region will also change your subjective perception of mid and bass. And the focus of listening moves to the cymbals. A well designed system very often suffers from such a change. Developers in ancient times knew about it, they tuned bass and HF to roll off in harmonic proportions. Check some old tube radios, they can sound fantastic, even with a small 'midrange' speaker. Because they are balanced.

A few weeks after the tweeter tweak one might feel that there is something missing in the lower bass section. Then the modder starts thinking about venting a LS...on a mod-way to hell.

Probably some truth in that. However, if you have a crossover like the ALK, you can attenuate the mids and the highs if you have an ALK tweeter attenuator to your hearts content. I found the CT-125 much cleaner and more crisp than the K77. Of course, I have made just about every mod possible to my Khorns and La Scala. I just finished porting the bass bin on the LaS as a matter of fact. The journey is the fun part...not necessarily the destination.