Bose 901

Cory Riches

Can someone give me advice with my bose 901 speakers? I have a set of bose 901 series IV. I have refoamed them and when I play them, they rattle. At first I thought I did a poor foam job and that was the cause, so I replaced the driver that I heard the rattle from and it was the same. After I listened to them I figured that the plastic was vibrating so I pressed on the plastic and it stopped. I need advice on how to stop the vibrating.

Thank you

Cory

I personally quite like the 901s. Most other Bose products, while they give a decent impression, tend to be lacking upon more critical listening.

I have some experience with refoaming the 901s and let me say this - if you didn't shim the voice coil that is the most likely cause (you can't be completely certain the driver is centred adequately). I recommend you go through every driver and push them with four fingers around the dust cap (two with each hand) and see if any exhibit a scraping sound or move with some resistance as you push it down. Alternatively, you can play music which causes the rattle and try to prevent each driver from moving with your hand and see if the rattle goes away - though this can be difficult if there is more than one driver responsible for the rattle.

If that's definitely not the problem, it could possible be a loose part in the speaker caverns. Probably unlikely though. Possibly a loose joint. On one older BIC Venturi Formula 6 speaker I had, a loose joint caused a rattle at a particular frequency on one pipe organ CD when the volume was up very loud :-)

I have a set of the La scala pro industrial that sound excellent, but I am impressed that 9 full range drivers can sound as good as they do. I think the bose 901 is neat. I have been a Klipsch folded horn speaker for 30 years and love showing them off with their clarity at high volumes.

Cory

<I have refoamed them and when I play them, they rattle.....I need advice on how to stop the vibrating.

Most likely depositing them in the trash bin will solve your problem. If you can still hear them rattle, try moving your trash can down to the curb.

<I have refoamed them and when I play them, they rattle.....I need advice on how to stop the vibrating.

Most likely depositing them in the trash bin will solve your problem. If you can still hear them rattle, try moving your trash can down to the curb.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Mr Def Tech home theatre listener. [;)] I'm thinking those 901s would sound better than speakers in your present system. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Bose 901's? It's all in the application..... How you use them; where; room dynamics; etc. I have had a few pairs (in 70's), including a recent NIB pair that I got to test about a year or two ago. They do certain things well; some things not very well; and some things not very well at all. IMHO, For $1200, a new pair of Heresy-III's are a better way to go, in particular because you are not limited to placement. Placement is the key if you want them to work properly. Even then, there is a "smearing" problem inherent in the reflective design. "Smearing" is precisely the quality most Klipsch owners hate. It's that lack of definite clarity in the detail that drives most folks crazy. A further explanation of what I am discussing can be found at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103276.aspx . You have to "wade" through the thread due to the usual "bashing" (which is funny), but as I said, they have certain appliactions..

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Mr Def Tech home theatre listener. Wink I'm thinking those 901s would sound better than speakers in your present system. Maybe you should take your own advice.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Mr Def Tech home theatre listener. Wink I'm thinking those 901s would sound better than speakers in your present system. Maybe you should take your own advice.

yeah, you've got a point. trying to be funny. but it just sounds mean. my apologies.

Cool, lets get back to figuring out what to do with 901s.[:)]

I have a pair of series II Bose 901s w/ equalizer and with the correct tulip stands. The have been properly refoamed. I have been listening to them with a good subwoofer and to be honest I like them. Yes, you can call it sound everywhere, etc. but thats ok. They really pump out the precussions, like with Dave Mathews Band or similar.

Now I really like the 901s as surrounds in home theatre application. Thats what I want to go back to. I have some big Dukane squawkers over Altec bass horns for my fronts, an Advent center, Cerwin Vega sub, and lastly the 901s as surrounds. Yes, it looks like a speaker collection from a midnight autoparts, but It sounds good to us!

I have been a Klipsch folded horn speaker for 30 years and love showing them off with their clarity at high volumes.

Cory

YOU have been a Klipsch folded horn speaker for 30 years? Wow, that must be some disguise! Wink

He has become One with his music. Now THAT is dedication.