BOO! Happy Halloween

picky

What a windy, gloomy morning outside today. It could be a lot worse, so I am not really complaining. We got some rain last night. It was so mild in Detroit that we could not believe it's late October! We went downtown to Greektown to celebrate a friend's birthday with about 5 other couples and as we walked the sidewalks looking at the various shops, it was 73 degrees and balmy at 10 pm last night! WOW! Unfortunately, the wind must have taken out a line somewhere overnight, because there is no cable, internet or phone service at our house this morning. This rarely happens here. I called Comcast on my cell phone and they said the whole little town in which we live is affected and they are already working on it. You are probably wondering how I am posting this if I have no internet at the moment. Ah...the magic of Wi-Fi!!!! I am "borrowing" on my my neighbor's WiFi connections. They apparently must be connected through another service such as WOW or AT&T. Don't worry; I'm on really good terms with all my neighbors.

Any way, the wind is suppose to let up a bit by this evening and we're not expecting rain, so despite the cooler temps they are predicting (40s) the little ghosts and goblins should have an great night to do some happy haunting. We normally get between 50 & 100 kids each year. We don't do a big display; just a few lights on some of the bushes and we have a couple of illuminated, plastic pumpkins and a scarecrow. We normally sit out by the front porch and hand out the candy so the little ones don't have to nogosiate the steps to our porch. There's a big, green inflatable Frankenstien's monster staring at us from across the street and on the next block a couple of houses went all out by turning their whole front yards into a sort of a creepy "walk-through" for the kids. It's all good fun. Do any of you decorate or go all out for Halloween? If any of my buddies come by with their kids, I am sure they'll be trick-or-treating a beer or two from me. LOL Have a good one! - Glenn

Halloween Safety Tip: Always be careful to store pumpkins and alcohol separately...

post-10177-1381951209977_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

"I see dead people Dad..........", no Wait - those are just Dead Beat Form Memebers..................Wink

That's funny [Y]

Have fun Picky where we live we don't have kids going door to door, to far to walk between houses.

Nice picture Daddy Dee.

We had quite a crowd of trick-or-treaters here in this neighborhood.

I went through nearly SIX BAGS of candy!

As for the decorations, I have this really cool light display of a spider on a web. The spider even animates.

Also, I've temporairly rigged up my outdoor system by hiding the rocks behind the bushes on the front of the house. I then queued up a couple of Midnight Syndicate CDs. On top of that, I went and dressed up in my caveman outfit (complete with a club) and sat out front to watch the kids come up and get thier treats. There was a little bit of light rain, plus some wind through the area, but right now, it is still well into the 70's. Pretty balmy out right now, but supposed to cool off. Seems the same cold front that went through your area is now reaching here. Actually made for a very pleasent night of trick-or-treating.

And now, since it is my birthday tomorrow, I'll be celebrating that. Yup - the big 4-0!.

Pretty warm here today witch means some skantily clad ladies in outrageous outfits in downtown Charleston . Talk about a treat ! Luckily for me I work at one of the hotspots and in a prime location ; roughly 1,000 feet from where the first shot of the Civil War took place . Let's just say some very nice visuals for sure .

No pics of that action but howz about a pic of a pumpkin I did 3 years ago .

Posted Image

Not a one trick-or-treater here [:(]

I blame the southern evangelicals for demonizing Halloween and tilting at windmills.

For some reason they choose to redefine the holiday as a 'fall festival'.

We attended a 'fall festival' at our daughter's school which led me to the question ...

If you throw a 'fall festival' and all the kids show up in traditional costumes, isn't it really a 'Halloween festival' [:o] ?

Not a one trick-or-treater here Sad

I blame the southern evangelicals for demonizing Halloween and tilting at windmills.

Why not blame the real culprits--the scum that are out there posing a physical danger to the trick or treaters? Don't know what it's like in your neighborhood; but, i work in an area heavy with gang activity and other crime. Many parents just don't want to expose their kids to the additional risk of walking around at night. Years ago, we started seeing more and more parents taking their children to trick or treat at the malls to avoid having to walk the neighborhood streets. It's the criminals that are at fault not the preachers.

Why not blame the real culprits--the scum that are out there posing a physical danger to the trick or treaters?

I remember when tainted treats became a threat, and I don't recall demand dropping off all that much, though homemade treats pretty much bit the dust. And if parents are with their kids there should be little danger of abductions. Sadly I thnk the days of sending your pre-teen off for a fun evening in the neighborhood are gone forever, I really enjoyed those days celebrating my mini-independance, if only for one night a year [:D]

Don't get me wrong, predators are scum and deserve a special punishment here and for all eternity, I just think it is the misguided (IMO) attacks on Halloween that correlate with the fairly recent decline in traditional festivities, at least here in the deep south.

And yes, I have small children, 3 & 5

well, i'm not from the south so i'll take your word for it. i too remember enjoying those halloween nights with my friends wandering the streets. getting abducted wasn't really a fear back then--razor blades in the apples (who would eat an apple on halloween anyway?) or needles in the candy was the fear back then. But, I grew up in a different place and a different time. I raised four children (all over 21 now) and didn't raise them in the town that I grew up in either. The general area that I live in now--it's the parents that are worried about walking the streets at night--not the kids. Walking with your kids may prevent an abduction; but, we just have so many other dangers that have spoiled what used to be a night of fun. Just like New Years Eve--bullets are flying. It really sucks--a lot. So, personally, I was happy when stores and Churches started offering an alternative to walking the streets. Yes, the kids get to the age where they just want to be with their friends (and I did allow that; but, with conditions--i.e. limiting them to certain areas); but, when my car is getting the windows blown out from gangs shooting at each other (when my daughter was standing on the porch)--it really takes a lot of the importance out of "tradition." And we never lived in the slums or even the "bad" part of town. Kids now don't get to do near what we parents got to do at their age. Riding in the back of the truck, taking the sleeping bags and sleeping on the front lawn, etc... it's rather sad.

Agreed [:)]

We did the mall thing, ironically in a mall that is loosing stores due to gang violence. The police have moved in with a precinct and their strike force to set up a presence. Overall it was a good time, even got 2 free goldfish from the pet store.

• Moderators

amy, thank you for picking the costume honoring the ultimate in super heroes--BATMAN. Or was that Steven? Either way--Batman rules!

Steven was on his own for his costume. He had the pick of the store [:)]