Center on top or on bottom

SuBXeRo

After looking at many of the photos in the HT setup thread, i notices that no one has their centers above their tv. I know you can put them to or bottom but i have always found that bottom placement sounds so much less realisitic then top mounted facing down. My buddy has his under and it just doesnt sound like its coming from the right place. Any thoughts on this? I understand some centers are beefy but i just cant see yself every placing it below my tv.

Guest davidness

In home theater, when a sound appears to pan from left to right (or right to left), you don't want the sound to appear to 'jump' in it's vertical orientation as it does so. That is why you should try to have your tweeters at the same height level across the from.

• Moderators

I have my center speaker above my screen angled down towards the listening area. That is the best location for my setup because even if it would fit below my screen, the front row would block sound to the back row seats. The ideal location would be directly behind my screen but I would have to move to an acoustic transparent screen. Maybe one day. :)

willand has his RC-64 above his rear projection TV and it sounds great. If you really think about it, most tv stands have a hole for the center channel that is around the height of your knees. You would need to angle the speaker upwards towards your ears or it will not sound right anyways. Very few people can actually have a setup to where the center channel is lined up with the tweeters on your main speakers. This is the ideal world but most of us do not have the ideal setup.

Either above or below works well, it depends on the rest of the setup which may be better. I have used both although my current RC-7 sits below my display. As mentioned it's best to try to keep the center channel speaker as close to the same height as the mains, since the same height is often not possible choose a position as close as possible above or below the screen and if you can aim the speaker at the listeners ear level. Most important you want the sound from the center channel to seem to come from the screen.

• Moderators

I like it on top better.

Although the bottom works fine too

How about "woofer" style? Wink

That's fine too but be careful of the rear port. You don't want excessive chuffing.

[:o]

My center is above the screen, on a shelf about 6' up, but the mains are sitting on another speaker about 30" off the floor, sounds fine to me.