OT: CAT 5 prewire

tigerwoodKhorns

I am about to have some work done to my home and now would be a good time to prewire for CAT 5 wire. I have a few questions.

What is the name of the site that gets posted on here regularly that has bulk wire and other electronics cheap?

What wire should I use? Is CAT 5 OK or do I need the CAT6 (r is that just marketing BS)?

What about ports? Can I break one output from my router into 4 and then go off in several directions? What type of port do I need?

Manhattan Cable also has good prices...we used them at work...when I had a job. Copper is expensive these days...I remember getting boxes for $35 a couple years ago. CAT6 is really only required if you are going to run gigabit certified over 25 ft. CAT5e will do gigabit up to 25 ft. That is just a rating as well...ymmv. I just wired my basement and used the CAT5e...was not worth the extra price imho, and I have a lot of computers and a lot of data running across my network. I think I have a 24pt switch I am not using too if you need one on the cheap. ACE

I really need to read entire questions too haha...you should have a rounter, then a patch cable to a switch that will have as many ports as you are installing...they come in 5, 8, 16, 24 are the common ones. Most people will install a patch panel (Panduit is the most common brand) that is wall mounted in a box or to a rack...the wires in the wall go to the jacks in the patch panel and terminate there. Then you run short cables from the patch panel to the switch to make the jacks live. You can run direct to a router or switch, but most people will go the panel route incase a connector goes bad or something and then if you move you can take your hardware with you as well. ACE

Go for CAT-6 or higher (CAT 6a or CAT-7) if it is available. Ever faster networks are coming and you don't want to have to repeat the wiring job. Buy the teflon insulated "plenum" cable. Home Depot has some neat, modular plugs and covers suitable for easy DIY on the terminations.

Buy the teflon insulated "plenum" cable.

Why? Most often in residential use, there is no need for a plenum rated cable, unless the cable is being run through a suspended ceiling in which the air return is dumped into the space above the ceiling (very rare in non commercial use). Plenum rating is a fire rating and will not enhance the performance of the cable in any way, and it costs a lot! Tigerwoodskhorns: I'd suggest Cat 6 (do it once and do it right), and parts-express usually is tough to beat.

CAT5E is fine but I'd go with CAT6... I use plenum everywhere so I don't accidently use PVC where I shouldn't. It is a safety issue as you just don't want more toxic gases in the event of a fire than you will already have from other sources.

Here are some dull but enlightening video clips showing the flammability of the different cable types.

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/video_clips/video.aspx?ID=13100

Of course, going wireless really cuts down on the fire hazard! [:)]

I use as little wire as I can now because of how much damage I have had with lightning strikes. (computer equipment mostly... never stereo or video) I have been zapped via network runs on an outside wall. I will be keeping my runs in interior walls whenever I can for now on!

I use plenum everywhere so I don't accidently use PVC where I shouldn't. It is a safety issue as you just don't want more toxic gases in the event of a fire than you will already have from other sources.

That's the exact reason it is required in commercial spaces where the air return is fed into the suspended ceiling (plenum). Even in commercial use it is a little bit of redundant overkill, because in the event of a fire the HVAC system will shut down. The plenum rated cable is used in case the HVAC system does not shut down, it will not pump toxic fumes (from the burning non-plenum rated insulation) into occupied space. Using it in a residence is waste of $ IMO, and at twice the price it adds up.

Of course if you are in a burning house long enough to be breathing those fumes you've got bigger problems than the fumes! A relative of mine was a fireman and his stories scared the hell out of me... it is amazing how little time you can have to get out!